advertisement

A thread to catalogue the wit, wisdom and utter incompetence of Gavin Williamson

ks.234

Half way to Infinity

Gavin Williamson is a man of ideas. He has lots of them. But he seems to lack the strategic thinking to turn ideas from mere notions into workable plans.

As an example Williamson has today come out with ideas on vocational education, but his ideas lack any detail or plans for funding.

Yet he was having these ideas about vocational education rather a long time ago and despite a lengthy interim has still not managed to develop his ideas into anything that looks workable.

Has Gavin Williamson demonstrated his expertise in other areas?

That is just the logical conclusion of populist politics, the people who end up running the show have no talent for problem solving. Running a country with sixty million people and a two trillion dollar economy is a seriously difficult problem and if you do not have someone smart enough to ditch ideology and listen, understand and act on the advice of experts then the country is fvcked, as is being shown. Unfortunately it doesn’t apply just to the Tories, it seems to have infected all parties. Much of what Labour says I agree with but when I look at who they are going to use to implement those policies I just feel like crying.

That is just the logical conclusion of populist politics, the people who end up running the show have no talent for problem solving. Running a country with sixty million people and a two trillion dollar economy is a seriously difficult problem and if you do not have someone smart enough to ditch ideology and listen, understand and act on the advice of experts then the country is fvcked, as is being shown. Unfortunately it doesn’t apply just to the Tories, it seems to have infected all parties. Much of what Labour says I agree with but when I look at who they are going to use to implement those policies I just feel like crying.
Not sure how much I agree here. If we’re talking about Education policy, it seems to me that the Tories have a very Laissez-faire approach to Education, in which intervention by government is undesirable and an incompetent like Williamson is much preferable to someone with the initiative or ability to actually want to do something.

Labour’s last Education policy was (from my point of view as someone with a keen interest in education) spot on. It recognised what was wrong with education and in a specific manner and set out clear objectives and how to get there. And, regardless of what you think of her personally, had in Rebecca Long Bailey someone in charge of her brief, committed to delivering it, and would be doing a much better job than what we’ve got now.

The UK has been behind the curve on technical training since the Edwardian era, given the size and scope of our economy at the time. I really can’t see someone the calibre of Gavin Williamson being capable of turning that around.

Train wreck of an interview this morning (sorry about the link, first I could find..)

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/t...mson-resign-school-closures-latest-news-video

earlier part of the interview:

https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/status/1352163307340361730

Boris needs him desperately...to deflect the attention!

This one is just straight out of Yes Minister:

https://twitter.com/bbcpolitics/status/1295614491753959424?lang=en

The question I’d like to hear journalists ask is, if he, Gavin Williamson really values teachers, does he recognise the extra stress and workload his decisions in the past have had on teachers, and if so, why is he proposing to do so again with his proposals for forthcoming A levels which seems to be that teachers will do all the extra work yet again?

50861810038_e8f91ff53e_b.jpg

Yet again, The Star leads the pack on incisive journalism

Has Gavin been buying dodgy computers on the cheap from his Russian mates?:

School laptops sent by government arrive loaded with malware (ITPro)

A number of the devices were found to be infected with a "self-propagating network worm", according to the forum, and they also appeared to be contacting Russian servers, one teacher wrote. The Windows-based laptops were specifically infected with Gamarue.1, a worm Microsoft identified in 2012.

The Department for Education (DfE) said it was "urgently investigating".

At a time when there remain huge unanswered questions over exams this summer, Gavin Williamson comes out of hiding to announce new laws against ‘no platforming’ and free speech which universities say are unnecessary and Peter Tatchell, who has himself been the target of no-platform protests, said were "quite rare" and the issue needed to be put in perspective.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-55995979

It is also noticeable that Williamson is silent on University objections to adoption of IHRA definitions which they say are a threat to free speech .

A man more clearly out of his depth and unable to fulfill his brief is difficult to imaging. Any competent opposition would be calling for his resignation

I'll fix this easy thing that doesn't need fixing, because I think I can, and it'll distract from that hard thing I don't think I'm capable of fixing so am trying to ignore.
Yes. Maybe also a need to keep his name in the headlines at any cost, rather than just doing his job properly.....or even at all

Also quite ironic that universities have thought their Masonic connections been working flat out to keep stories detrimental to them out of the news.
It was impossible to get a decision made or papers signed on a Friday afternoon as they were all "In a meeting"

advertisement

Back