Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson: V Gone-ish!

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Jul 7, 2022.

1. Nero

Nero Don’t call me Bud

Agreed. But exactly how influential is Johnson now? Or will he come back in this country’s hour of need?

2. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Who knows. He's certainly making noises to that affect. God help us.

3. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

When he's gone will he be really gone or lurking around in one capacity or another, influencing what ?
    What difference will it make to standards of guvmunt, even decency with the idiots and criminals he took on

Johnson or a.n.other as PM - who is actually running the country

4. Nero

Nero Don’t call me Bud

I think he’s too lazy to do anything like that but there are some despicable people who will do things in his name

5. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Truss looks like winning so BJ could very influential.

6. Nero

Nero Don’t call me Bud

That sent a chill down my spine

7. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

This really does need placing under the very brightest spotlight possible. It is a direct mirror of Trump stacking the Supreme Court with far-right ideologues, Jan 6th, rigging election counts etc. It is a direct attack on the basic concept of democracy and political accountability and there are endless examples all over the place at present. We must be in no doubt that both the US Republican and UK Conservative parties are far-right entities currently in the midst of a massive power-grab. We have seen this before. The date now 1933-1934. The place Germany. This is exactly how fascism arrives.

9. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I think the generous provision made for Boris and Carrie Antoinette to re-celebrate their union on the first anniversary of Bori’s third wedding might see a couple more Bamfords inserted. Let’s not forget Stanley and Rachel, they deserve a seat just like Joe.

PsB likes this.
  10. The Far North

The Far North pfm Member

Genuine question: could Stanley's peerage be made hereditary so that it comes to Boris in due course? o_O

11. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

AFAIK, it could not: hereditary means just that.
    Hereditary peer positions come up for election from time to time, due to death or resignation. The replacement is elected by the House of Lords, but the candidates must be hereditary peers. Here are the arrangements for one recent case:
    https://www.parliament.uk/globalass...ce/2021/notice-with-candidates-list-simon.pdf
    But there may be a loophole somewhere. Or, as the process seems to rely a lot on precedent and informal agreements among gentlemen, something that BoJo could just ignore, smash and/or overturn.

Bob McC likes this.
  12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Don’t put anything beyond these Tory gangsters. Everything is up for grabs if there is money or power to be had. They casually rewrite national law or break international law if there party benefit for doing so. I suspect they will eventually need removal with fire.

Garrard 401 likes this.
  13. zygote23

zygote23 pfm Member

14. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

^Another classy move from a UK cabinet minister.

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

100% modern Conservative media and culture. Dorries is the minister for it after all. The Minister for Dumbing-Down. Only a matter of time until she’ll be waving an AR15 at abortion/LGBTQ+ rights.

16. billo

billo pfm Member

Did I read some time ago that Stanley J. has become a French citizen ? I wonder how that would cloud the issue.

17. Enfield boy

Enfield boy pfm Member

Well if the son of a Russian spy can be a Lord....

18. Colin L

Colin L High-tech low-life

Why is that a problem? Spaffer has already put Russian (contributors) into the HOL.

19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

In fairness Tory peerages are always for sale if one has enough money. Not sure this is the case with French citizenship.

20. Enfield boy

Enfield boy pfm Member

My point was, French citizenship would likely not be a problem, Stan's probably kept his (indigo) passport anyway.