advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson: IV VONC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the look of disapproval he’s captured on Dacre’s face. Hard to work out if it’s because Rayner is of the Left or because she’s over 15.

The distraction thing is just so true it is painful. I’ve not seen any reference to #noshgate on mainstream TV and I bet the far-right printed press are creating every smokescreen they can. We are being totally gaslit by these shits.

Johnson was warned against appointing Pincher to the roll of deputy chief whip but did it anyway.

“As soon as his name was in the running, people went into No. 10, including MPs, with new allegations about what he’d done.”
Pincher was instrumental in shoring up support for the PM last winter when the Partygate scandal was at its peak, and was effectively rewarded with the deputy chief whip’s job.

https://www.politico.eu/article/dow...top-job-despite-sexual-misconduct-allegation/

It doesn't float my boat either, too vitriolic, but it's not artless, it's no different from what Gilray was doing in the 18th century.

I don't agree. To me it looks like the random pasting of ill-matched, unscaled photographs of people onto a picture of a tube train interior, without context. There's no art in it at all imv. Gillray and Hogarth were skilled draftsmen and caricaturists. I was wondering the other day where all the satirists have gone, given the world of open goals that surrounds us. If this garbage is really the best on offer, I despair.

That was a bit sour. Too much Fleurie last night? :)

Not enough, dear boy!

(Actually it was a delightfully gouleyant biodynamic Cotes du Rhone. My shameful regret is that I had to share it with two other people).

When u sit in reshuffle mtngs it's normal to go down a list like:
Pervert
Under investigation by NCA (he doesn't know)
Drunk
Sex pest
Sex pest
Dodgy donors
Yes she's ok but she's useless
Moron
Moron
He's Ok
Sex pest
She's actually good [laughter]
Dodgepot...
etc”

Dominic Cummings (Twitter).

PS Normal for Tories.

(Actually it was a delightfully gouleyant biodynamic Cotes du Rhone. My shameful regret is that I had to share it with two other people).
Ah, gouleyant. A word my ex brought to my attention. Never dod know how to spell it. I shall use it more.

The distraction thing is just so true it is painful. I’ve not seen any reference to #noshgate on mainstream TV and I bet the far-right printed press are creating every smokescreen they can. We are being totally gaslit by these shits.
Because at the moment these are unsubstantiated Twitter rumours? I'm sure there are people working very hard to get proof, but until then why would a reputable news source take the risk?

I don't agree. To me it looks like the random pasting of ill-matched, unscaled photographs of people onto a picture of a tube train interior, without context. There's no art in it at all imv. Gillray and Hogarth were skilled draftsmen and caricaturists. I was wondering the other day where all the satirists have gone, given the world of open goals that surrounds us. If this garbage is really the best on offer, I despair.

Hogarth, Gilray and Cruikshank used the technology of the time to ensure the public got to see it (printing presses) and didn't sweat the art, it was drawn quickly and printed quickly to get out whilst still relevant. Cold War Steve is doing the same, only now the technology is photoshop and social media. Because you (and I) don't regularly look at his works, we don't immediately get his references and the codes within them. The idea of a detailed explanation of what's going on (ie to provide context) went mostly out of the window in the early 20th Century.

Where are today's satirists? You don't need to look far: Steve Bell, Martin Rowson, 'Parody Boris', Cold War Steve. Although who needs satire when you have politics like we currently 'enjoy' around the World?

Hogarth, Gilray and Cruikshank used the technology of the time to ensure the public got to see it (printing presses) and didn't sweat the art, it was drawn quickly and printed quickly to get out whilst still relevant. Cold War Steve is doing the same, only now the technology is photoshop and social media. Because you (and I) don't regularly look at his work, we don't get his references and codes used in it. The idea of a detailed explanation of what's going on (ie to provide context) went mostly out of the window in the early 20th Century.

Where are today's satirists? You don't need to look far: Steve Bell, Martin Rowson, 'Parody Boris', Cold War Steve. Although who needs satire when you have politics like we currently 'enjoy' around the World?
In terms of the written word, Craig Brown is one of the best. The current Private Eye contains his parody of MailOnline which is spot-on and almost indistinguishable from the original.

Hogarth, Gilray and Cruikshank used the technology of the time to ensure the public got to see it (printing presses) and didn't sweat the art, it was drawn quickly and printed quickly to get out whilst still relevant. Cold War Steve is doing the same, only now the technology is photoshop and social media. Because you (and I) don't regularly look at his works, we don't immediately get his references and the codes within them. The idea of a detailed explanation of what's going on (ie to provide context) went mostly out of the window in the early 20th Century.

The two Guardian cartoonists are ok, and strikingly similar, though I don't think either come close to Peter Brookes in The Times. You seem to have resurrected CWS. If you have to understand 'the codes', it rather limits him to the frothing confirmation-biasphere that is twatter, and its still crap.

I'm with you both on Craig Brown. I loved his Princess Margaret book.

If you have to understand 'the codes', it rather limits him to the frothing confirmation-biasphere that is twatter,

Nope. It means you have to engage with it to get the most from it. Like art.

I choose not to, as do you, but lack of investment of time on my part does not make it universally "crap". Were that to be the case, all opera, ballet and Impressionist painting would be "crap" also.

Cold War Steve is doing the same, only now the technology is photoshop and social media. Because you (and I) don't regularly look at his works, we don't immediately get his references and the codes within them. The idea of a detailed explanation of what's going on (ie to provide context) went mostly out of the window in the early 20th Century.

Indeed, just as say rap is today’s protest music. Chances are the people who don’t understand the references are the thing being protested against! Exactly the same thing as my parents going all out mental about punk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back