advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson: IV VONC

Status
Not open for further replies.
And from today's Times.
methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F2be217e6-ec14-11ec-b47a-cf598c451bbb.jpg

I’d be amazed if Labour don’t take that one, and the LDs the other. I’m more curious about the Tories long game here. They are being so spectacularly racist and far-right nationalist they must have calculated a marketplace for it. These people are entirely crooked and self-interested, but they are not daft. They realise they need a lot of ‘marks’ for their asset stripping to continue, and to my mind they are going to lose a lot of more comfortable people in the leafy burbs who will have been terribly financially hit by Brexit and aren’t natural EDL members at all. They must have a demographic in mind as their oligarch asset-stripping and low-wage low-tax economy doesn’t require racism and nationalism at all. It has to be just a sales patter to get votes in areas that would not otherwise benefit from elite Tory rule.
I'm beginning to wonder whether, actually, the current incumbents are throwing the party under the bus just to continue feathering their nests as long as possible. Maybe they've figured that the gig is up so they just need to milk it for as long as possible because when it's over, it's over. That would help explain the 'I know I'm lying to you and I just don't care' attitude among politicians who might reasonably be expected to be seeking reelection at some point.

I'm not sure it's cynical so much as just base instinct. They're painting themselves into a corner, electorally, so have decided it's shit or bust time.

(cross posted from the Brexit thread)
How's this one for irony and pig-headed arrogance:
"UK Minister warns US politicians to mind their language over Northern Ireland".
"Conor Burns, a Northern Ireland minister and close ally of Boris Johnson, said some US politicians risked empowering violent elements within the province in their public comments on the protocol."
https://www.ft.com/content/7b737d11-d2c7-4487-bf1a-1663106811d0 (paywall)
Conor Burns has decided to take the Special Relationship to another level.
Coming from the people that have been stirring the sectarian pot for several years over the NIP, this is a bit rich, even by the loose standards of Boris' administration. Also, a junior UK minister publicly threatening the US Congress is always going to work well, innit?

Sad isn’t it- when Mr. Trump was in office, America was going to be our best new buddy. Two British Prime Ministers embarrassingly prostrated themselves before him, even getting the Queen to roll out the red carpet for his clan. America would stand with us and the pencils were being sharpened for an amazing new US-UK trade deal. The Anglosphere was back!

Now a tiny and not much known fist shakes in Washington’s direction. It is attached to a man called Conor Burns whom no one in Britain could pick out in an identity parade.

I'm beginning to wonder whether, actually, the current incumbents are throwing the party under the bus just to continue feathering their nests as long as possible. Maybe they've figured that the gig is up so they just need to milk it for as long as possible because when it's over, it's over. That would help explain the 'I know I'm lying to you and I just don't care' attitude among politicians who might reasonably be expected to be seeking reelection at some point.

ISTR that the opinion Poll on the Rwanda deportation flights showed strong support from conservative (and Brexit) voters, so it's quite possible that the government is playing to their base, much like Trump did. Seen from this angle the Rwanda policy is (like Trump's child migrants in cages) a no-lose situation. If it comes to pass their detestable voting base will celebrate, and if it's blocked by legal means they can rail against the "system" and "unelected elites" and rile their base up.

It's to be hoped that this base of, frankly deplorables - Hillary called that one correctly, is not big enough to carry the next election, but it's very disheartening that the next election will even be close (which it will). If not for Covid I'm afraid Trump would have won a second term and that might have ended up being a worse situation than Covid.

(cross posted from the Brexit thread)
How's this one for irony and pig-headed arrogance:
"UK Minister warns US politicians to mind their language over Northern Ireland".
"Conor Burns, a Northern Ireland minister and close ally of Boris Johnson, said some US politicians risked empowering violent elements within the province in their public comments on the protocol."
https://www.ft.com/content/7b737d11-d2c7-4487-bf1a-1663106811d0 (paywall)
Conor Burns has decided to take the Special Relationship to another level.
Coming from the people that have been stirring the sectarian pot for several years over the NIP, this is a bit rich, even by the loose standards of Boris' administration. Also, a junior UK minister publicly threatening the US Congress is always going to work well, innit?

I guess it makes a change from telling the head of the Church of England to shut up.

Lord Git (who he?)- to paraphrase James Melville- “Boris’s silly vassal” and “with no power comes little responsibility”.

“A senior source in Number 10 said Lord Geidt's resignation came as "a total surprise" and is "a mystery" to Mr Johnson”.
"Only on Monday Lord Geidt asked if he could stay on for six months," the source added”.

….must have moved on himself.

Lord Git (who he?)- to paraphrase James Melville- “Boris’s silly vassal” and “with no power comes little responsibility”.

“A senior source in Number 10 said Lord Geidt's resignation came as "a total surprise" and is "a mystery" to Mr Johnson”.
"Only on Monday Lord Geidt asked if he could stay on for six months," the source added”.

….must have moved on himself.

Apparently he provided a long letter explaining his reasons for quitting. If that’s true, a) Mr Johnson is lying about it being a mystery (hardly surprising) and b) I really hope it leaks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back