advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson II

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not about parties, cats and dogs or any other bit of nonsense and the more that is talked about the more trivial and boring it gets. It is about constant lying, misleading parliament and negligent and irresponsible leadership.

My guess is the slippery piglet will run about blustering and squeaking and right about now people have got bored with it.

The media is doing a decent job of getting people to talk about their own heartbreaking stories of isolation and separation during lockdown. That's keeping the public fired up, I think. Partygate is small beer compared to many other things he and his awful party have done, but if it's the straw that breaks this camel's back, I'll take it.

The LDs had one chance to argue for electoral reform against a totally unaccountable and anti-democracy Tory elite. They predictably achieved nothing of value as such a minority voice in a coalition. Labour have had 121 years to do the same including around a quarter of a century in absolute power. At no point did the concept of political reform ever get a look in. They oppose the idea of a fair accountable democracy just as much as the Tories.

That seems to be a very true statement unfortunately. I doubted your views previously but even on Brexit there would be precious little change in the approach to dealing with the EU if Labour came to power. Both parties are just chasing 40 odd percent of voters. The Tories are just better at winning that race. Factor in the fact that 40-48% of the electorate are Brexit Barking mad it would seem there is no easy way out of this mess.

It is always a mistake to view Labour as any alternative. They are just the same establishment, but wearing a different colour tie with their identikit grey corporate suits. Same authoritarianism, same nationalism, same evasion and deflection, same contempt for democracy and accountability. I’d argue they were marginally less overtly criminal and corrupt than the Tories, but only by a small degree as the ‘expenses scandal’ and PFI debacle highlighted.

The LDs had one chance to argue for electoral reform against a totally unaccountable and anti-democracy Tory elite. They predictably achieved nothing of value as such a minority voice in a coalition. Labour have had 121 years to do the same including around a quarter of a century in absolute power. At no point did the concept of political reform ever get a look in. They oppose the idea of a fair accountable democracy just as much as the Tories.
The electoral reform to PR is not in the Labour manifesto, however, it is in the LibDem manifesto. They have even claimed it as some kind of core value. That means they talk a good game but lie when it comes to the crunch.

The electoral reform to PR is not in the Labour manifesto

I know. That is why they are just as bad as the Tories. They very actively support and enable a corrupt and unaccountable system. I will always vote against them for that reason. Everything else you say is just the defensive ranting of a tribalist.

From himself, he repeated it again on Newsnight. His argument that the constitution is not a codexed one was typical of the person (man is not the right word) so although everyone follows it he thinks that it can be changed overnight to help BJ
The Fixed Term Parliaments Act is statute law so no one can change it overnight and Rees-Mogg has zero authority to institute an election.

The Fixed Term Parliaments Act is statute law so no one can change it overnight and Rees-Mogg has zero authority to institute an election.
I know that and I'm sure J R-M knows it too, he was trying to do the whips job of getting the new sprogs to toe the line with yet another lie. His statement that a new PM would have no mandate is also a lie. I don't know why he was not challenged each time he spouted this rubbish.

I know. That is why they are just as bad as the Tories. They very actively support and enable a corrupt and unaccountable system. I will always vote against them for that reason. Everything else you say is just the defensive ranting of a tribalist.
Against the tories = tribalist. Whatever you say. Rather that than enabling more tory govt.

I know that and I'm sure J R-M knows it too, he was trying to do the whips job of getting the new sprogs to toe the line with yet another lie. His statement that a new PM would have no mandate is also a lie. I don't know why he was not challenged each time he spouted this rubbish.
Indeed. Theresa May had no mandate, in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back