advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear that J. R-M is threatening the backbenchers with a General Election if they let BJ take the blame for all of his rule breaking. After defending the constitution by not admitting anything that happened in The Cabinet, he then wants to throw The Constitution under the bus by saying that any new PM will not have a mandate to carry on. He stated that we now have a presidential system in place and if one goes they all go.

Rees Mogg is a right thug IMO. The pretentious pantomime toff accent fools no one.

Is that not part of the huge problem that the electorate can't see him for what he is as you describe a crude irrelevant dangerous pantomime toff with an incredibly disagreeable and unlikeable personality.
I find his behaviour, his attempts at jokes and being smart so pathetic and uninspiring but he is tolerated in what passes as a parliamentary system in the UK.

The system is completely broken and needs a revolution to fix it. The electorate need to get educated in reality asap.
I find this thread and the Brexit thread so downbeat at this point I try not to post but I still follow the posts and agree with most of them.

The only hope I see is Mogg runs with that threat and people get a chance to change out the government. Labour dependent on the SNP, Plaid and the Lib dems is the only change I see of getting change with the smaller parties insisting on PR as part of the deal for coalition. Forlorn hope I think as the Tories will be smart enough to see out the full term.

"You say you'll change the constitution
Well, you know
We'd all love to change your head
You tell me it's the institution
Well, you know
You better free your mind instead
"

Is that not part of the huge problem that the electorate can't see him for what he is as you describe a crude irrelevant dangerous pantomime toff with an incredibly disagreeable and unlikeable personality.
I find his behaviour, his attempts at jokes and being smart so pathetic and uninspiring but he is tolerated in what passes as a parliamentary system in the UK.

The system is completely broken and needs a revolution to fix it. The electorate need to get educated in reality asap.
I find this thread and the Brexit thread so downbeat at this point I try not to post but I still follow the posts and agree with most of them.

The only hope I see is Mogg runs with that threat and people get a chance to change out the government. Labour dependent on the SNP, Plaid and the Lib dems is the only change I see of getting change with the smaller parties insisting on PR as part of the deal for coalition. Forlorn hope I think as the Tories will be smart enough to see out the full term.
I agree the system is broken.

The LibDems have proven without any doubt to be closer to the tories than they are to Labour, it is a fact. Further, they had a chance to insist on PR as part of a coalition with the tories but didn’t do so. The fact is they do not want PR enough. When faced with the opportunity of power under the present system they grabbed it and would do so again.

The only thing the Scottish nationalists will insist upon as a condition of a coalition with Labour is a referendum on independence. It’s why Labour would not be able to enter into a coalition with that party.

I hear that J. R-M is threatening the backbenchers with a General Election if they let BJ take the blame for all of his rule breaking. After defending the constitution by not admitting anything that happened in The Cabinet, he then wants to throw The Constitution under the bus by saying that any new PM will not have a mandate to carry on. He stated that we now have a presidential system in place and if one goes they all go.

It’s a strange position to end up arguing from, ISTM.

Pushing a fake constitutional angle in order to say there’d have to be a GE if Johnson is ousted, when actually that’s an entirely incidental facet of the situation. The subtext/real message is ‘Oi you new lot, do you want to lose your seats? We all know that sufficient people in half of your constituencies are so disillusioned with us that they would much rather someone else was their MP - therefore if you know what’s good for you, we must not give them a chance to vote’.

It’s an odd place for a notional democracy to end up.

Where, and from whom, did you hear that?

Boris has already apologised for some of it so has taken some blame. I can not see that he would resign unless he were charged and/or convicted of breaking Covid rules. Nor can I see a Leadership challenge unless he is so charged.

Boris has already apologised for some of it so has taken some blame. I can not see that he would resign unless he were charged and/or convicted of breaking Covid rules. Nor can I see a Leadership challenge unless he is so charged.
Lying to parliament is irrelevant?

Can’t speak for billo but I heard it as a direct quote from JRM himself, speaking on R4 earlier today.

Charges aren’t the issue IMO, misleading Parliament is.

Lying to parliament is irrelevant?

Has Johnson never not lied to parliament? It’s just what he and his party does on a daily basis. We saw just how far Trump and the Republican Party got by totally avoiding all established concepts of truth, integrity, responsibility, accountability, honour and decency. Johnson has dragged the UK Conservative Party the very short distance required to sink it to exactly that level in the gutter. This is just what an oligarch-owned kleptocracy looks like.

The LDs had one chance to argue for electoral reform against a totally unaccountable and anti-democracy Tory elite. They predictably achieved nothing of value as such a minority voice in a coalition. Labour have had 121 years to do the same including around a quarter of a century in absolute power. At no point did the concept of political reform ever get a look in. They oppose the idea of a fair accountable democracy just as much as the Tories.

From himself, he repeated it again on Newsnight. His argument that the constitution is not a codexed one was typical of the person (man is not the right word) so although everyone follows it he thinks that it can be changed overnight to help BJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back