advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson II

Status
Not open for further replies.
More to the point, Dacre has left the Mail. His replacement is a Hard Remainer. Only the Torygraph and the Express have stuck with the Boris narrative and the Torygraph will quickly ditch him if/when he looks like a loser.

More to the point, Dacre has left the Mail. His replacement is a Hard Remainer. Only the Torygraph and the Express have stuck with the Boris narrative and the Torygraph will quickly ditch him if/when he looks like a loser.
Democracy depends on who writes the Daily Mail headlines? God help democracy

That's putting it a bit strongly. The Daily Mail headlines are also a barometer of the public's sentiments. With Dacre gone, there's no need any more for the Mail to defend what the public are increasingly seeing as the indefensible. This doesn't mean that the Mail will stop being a Tory rag, but it may mean that the Tories elbow Boris out sooner rather than later.

That's putting it a bit strongly. The Daily Mail headlines are also a barometer of the public's sentiments. With Dacre gone, there's no need any more for the Mail to defend what the public are increasingly seeing as the indefensible. This doesn't mean that the Mail will stop being a Tory rag, but it may mean that the Tories elbow Boris out sooner rather than later.
Yes, but public sentiments are informed by the information it receives, and that information is, well, edited.

Yes, and some people are more receptive to certain messages than to others. But is the Tory party's recent decline in support a result of unfavourable headlines, or do the headlines reflect public sentiments? (Nobody knows, of course).

It’s getting quite exciting- when will they decide enough is enough with the blond ambition? I’m looking forward to what Johnson will do once they pull the rug from under him. I hope it’s a really dirty fight and that he doesn’t preemptively announce he’s ‘stepping down/ mission accomplished/ brexitdun’ with Boris, Carrie and the kids doing a moonlight flit out of Downing Street (while trying to nick a few bits of furniture and baubles).

With Boris, it's 'follow the money' every time. Will he continue to struggle on the pittance of a PM's salary, with the press focusing an ever-sharper eye on every freebie he can wangle, or will he return to 'journalism', turning out endless waffle for the Torygraph at an eye-watering rate of pay? Tough call.

Reactions: PsB
I think (or maybe just hope) that the recent shenanigans will have put the kibosh on that.
Doesn't look like it according to the Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/nov/10/ex-tory-adviser-married-mp-choose-ofcom-chair
The former Daily Mail editor Paul Dacre is the preferred choice of ministers for the role and almost secured the job in May. However, the government was forced to rerun the entire recruitment process after Dacre unexpectedly failed the final interview round and was deemed “not appointable” to the job.

This time, despite struggling to find people to take part in the interview process, ministers are taking fewer risks, with the job description rewritten to favour a more confrontational candidate. The successful applicant will have ultimate oversight of everything from social media regulation to television broadcasts and the postal service.

Cometh the hour...

FD-vuS2XwCc1lPz

^ the simpering tone of the Telegraph puff piece- blaarrr.

I understand his lavish comms/ media team is the envy of Cabinet with Liz Unchained scrambling to increase her media presence.

“Foreign Secretary Liz Truss hires an 'Instagram guru' to project her image on social media – and combat the slick online efforts of rival Rishi Sunak”
  • Ms Truss asked for permission from No 10 to add a ‘digital media special adviser’
  • Cass Horowitz has been credited with overhauling Chancellor’s digital profile
  • Rishi Sunak is the only other Minister to employ an image expert

• 3RS8oHW.jpg

Reminds me of Anthony Beevor’s account of Hermann Goerring’s bizarre outfits as he became more unhinged, attempting to upstage the others- the flamboyant capes, the lilac leather riding boots. The mark of decay. The boss is on his way out and they’re all fighting against each other for position while the NHS and the economy burn.

Last edited:
Reactions: PsB
Article in the Sunday times with some focus group opinions

https://apple.news/AKm4FZ5pOR5OC6_oyL1_IPA

For an hour Julia, 63, a private hospital administrator, was one of the most vocal in expressing disillusionment with Johnson, saying: “I’m in despair with Boris” and branding him “a buffoon”. But at the end she was one of six participants to say she would still vote Conservative in a general election. She declared: “The sleaze is irrelevant really about what’s going on in the world.”

Adam, 37, a sales manager, identified a theme that Labour has sought to exploit: “It’s one rule for politicians and one rule for the rest of us: do as I say, not as I do. They’re completely out of touch from the normal person on the street.” However, Adam said he would still vote Tory, adding: “It hasn’t changed anything for me.”

Ges, 66, who is retired, was the most supportive: “They’ve come in at a very difficult time. I don’t think Boris has been that bad. I think he’s really done all right. Give him a break until the next election and then judge.”

F***k me, just what will it take to change people’s minds? Unbelievable.

This is always the face of dumb tribal ‘blue team vs. red team’ politics. It becomes automatic, institutionalised, almost religious in its ritual. Both are such proven failures there is really little reason for people to look further and seek alternatives. The only political movement the UK has seen in my entire lifetime is up in Scotland where they have successfully killed their two-headed beast.

Article in the Sunday times with some focus group opinions

https://apple.news/AKm4FZ5pOR5OC6_oyL1_IPA

I’m not surprised by this, it was picked up by C4 News, white middle class pensioners offering mitigation for Johnson. When it all comes crashing down as it must , at the pandemic, corruption, economic damage, climate change tipping point, they’ll all say “but we didn’t know, we were mislead!
I’ve got a bad gut feeling about where this is going and there’s zero leadership, in fact our government is an engine of chaos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back