Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A Thread for New Jazz

Discussion in 'music' started by kjb, Feb 6, 2016.

1. kjb

kjb Losing my edge

I've not seen this. I'll look out for a copy.

Richard William's list is going to set up my winter streaming. Lots here I don't know at all.

2. kjb

kjb Losing my edge

I've been streaming Fordham's no. 1. the Ches Smith and We All Break Path of Colours, this afternoon. It is very, very good.

Seanm likes this.
  3. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Yes, that’s really good.

4. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

From Makaya McCraven I personally landed at his album Split Decision, which is not new but discovered via this thread - thanks.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  5. omega3

omega3 pfm Member

Marcin Wasilewski Trio? Yes, I took to them straight away - I have 5 albums now.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    Hook likes this.
  6. omega3

omega3 pfm Member

Yes, I got it. I think I have almost all of his albums now. I was hooked when I first saw him play on Joni Mitchell's "Shadows & Light" DVD shown on BBC iirc around 1980. Seen him in concert in Edinburgh twice, too.
    What a great loss Lyle Mays was, though.

Engels likes this.
  7. MUTTY1

MUTTY1 Waste of bandwidth

Playing the new Mathew Halsall a lot.Hate the cardboard inners! I’m no longer in danger of dropping the records but seem to pick up a new mini scratch from time to time (click for two or three revolutions sort of thing) I used to have some nags somewhere…

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I never keep any record in a card or paper sleeve for just that reason. Nagaoka or equivalents (e.g. these) work a treat. I’ve been doing this since the late-70s or early-80s so thankfully my collection is in great shape and stays that way. I wet clean any new record before playing it to ensure no crap from the card sleeve is in the groove waiting to be welded in place by the stylus!

gavreid likes this.
  9. Fredsmith20

Fredsmith20 New Member

I'm a fan of ECM's jazz releases, especially by artistes like Manu Katche.

Some are acquired tastes and take a bit of listening to get used to, but generally highly listenable stuff.

Hook likes this.
  10. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

Yazz Ahmed a new artist to me, loving it so far

Theo, mikechadwick and paulfromcamden like this.
  11. kjb

kjb Losing my edge

The 2021 Jazz Critics Poll was published in its new home yesterday.

The 2021 Jazz Critics Poll: Only the Best - The Arts Fuse

For the past 7-8 years or so this has shaped a lot of my purchases and listening through the following spring. There's plenty here to explore, quite a bit of it already touched on in this thread. It's good to see Sons of Kemet in the top 10.

MUTTY1 and Seanm like this.
  12. MUTTY1

MUTTY1 Waste of bandwidth

I’m a bit on the conservative side when it comes to new stuff but I bet they are cracking live…

13. molee

molee pfm Member

Album title of the millennium goes to Anthony Joseph 'The Rich Are Only Defeated When Running For Their Lives'. Sorry if I'm late to the party, sorry no youtube link, sorry no bandcamp link (there is one defo). Music is no slouch either.

14. kjb

kjb Losing my edge

In addition to the jazz critics poll there's an interesting article by Tom Hull, who does a lot of the collating of the list.

Behind the 2021 Jazz Critics Poll - A Tool for the Times - The Arts Fuse

It's mind boggling that there are 510 different records rated in critics personal top 10s - no wonder I can't keep up! There are also some interesting thoughts part way down this long piece on how we get to hear what we hear out of the the '000s of records released and the role of publicists.

MUTTY1, Seanm and gavreid like this.
  15. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Label is European so Bandcamp may work out a little more: https://anthonyjosephofficial.bandc...re-only-defeated-when-running-for-their-lives

Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08ZBPK28D/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

He's playing in London in a couple of months - fingers crossed things are a bit less plague-y by then!

16. molee

molee pfm Member

Yeah, I'd love to go but Woolwich ffs. I'm a West London boy, they put our heads on spikes down there. If they smell the Camden on you it'll be game over for you too.

17. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I've been south of the river for nearly a decade... almost a native now : )

18. jimification

jimification pfm Member

Seanm, kjb, murphydog and 2 others like this.
  19. Theo

Theo pfm Member

20. kjb

kjb Losing my edge

Disc 3: Nagoya

[​IMG]

MUTTY1 and poco a poco like this.