advertisement

A Thread for New Jazz

A lot to check out here, well most of it really.

Bad Plus live are an excellent proposition, seen them twice, their albums don't do their show justice.

SJB

How new is 'new'?

I started it thinking last couple of years - everything in post 1 was from 2015 - but there have been some good recommendations from the last 10 or so, but really it was records coming out.

Another one - Jack De Johnette Live in Chicago (ECM,2015) - a great free jazz record very much in the 60s'/70s Chicago tradition.

btw - regarding ECM - has anyone found a way to preview ECM releases via streaming? I know they're not in favour of streaming but I wondered if there is any site where their releases can be streamed in decent quality with access to a good section of their catalogue.

btw - regarding ECM - has anyone found a way to preview ECM releases via streaming? I know they're not in favour of streaming but I wondered if there is any site where their releases can be streamed in decent quality with access to a good section of their catalogue.

This site sometimes puts up samples / links to sound samples from the albums, its also a very good site for ECM reviews

http://ecmreviews.com/

There is also ECM player

http://player.ecmrecords.com/

Lee

Listening last night to the newly delivered One For Cisco by the Thomas Borgmann Trio on NoBusiness recorded at the New York Tenor Sax Festival 2015.
A straight ahead free blowing set with loads of subtlety finishing in a groove playing toy melodica! Sits well with the earlier Murmurs by the Fabric Trio (NB).

Not generally a fan of ECM but Last Dance an album of duets by Keith Jarrett and the late Charlie Haden is a standout for me.

Really enjoyed last years Welcome To My World by Joyce Elaine Yuille (Schema) and Matthew Halsall's Fletcher Moss Park (Gondwana).

Dave Douglas has been making records that have grabbed my attention for years now. I first came across him in Zorn's Masada, then the Balkan influenced solo records : Charms of the Night Sky is in my jazz top 20.

This, from last year, might interest fans of electronic Miles or jazz/electronica. ( Another Bowie link: the drummer played on the Blackstar)

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a good article in The Guardian this w/e:https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/oct/06/new-cool-kamasi-kendrick-gave-jazz-new-groove

So far this year I'm enjoying:

Jeff Parker's The New Breed - The guitarist from Tortoise, some good jazz guitar with lots of old school samples

Jack DeJohnette's In Movement - with Ravi Cotrane and Matthew Garrison great drumming as you'd expect but also some nice almost Flying Lotus electronic touches ( another Coltrane link) which I'd not expected

Nels Cline: Lovers -another unexpected record - almost old school mood jazz and a long way from the Singers in style.A little Gil Evans with occasional flashes of Zorn's Gift. And a jazz style cover of Sonic Youth.

What else have people found?

Kevin

recents:-

Brad Mehldau 'Blues And Ballads' - top notch trio, interesting thoughts on his website (really deep)

'The New Standard' - Late to this one from 2014, trio groove from Saft, Swallow and Previte

In Movement is great, but I passed on The New Breed preferring the pared down Bright Light In Winter

Must check the Nels Cline

thanks

Following on from the October post, another interesting article in The Guardian today
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/mar/15/jazz-london-moses-boyd-united-vibrations

Its worth following the Spotify link for a listen to some of the artists mentioned. I've just downloaded a Moses Boyd and an Ezra Collective record from Bandcamp. Not heard of either of them before: bends of jazz/ hip hop/ fusion / R&B and both sound pretty good on first listen.

Not sure what's going on when I get to the new stuff via The Guardian..... can't hide from the fact I've become a complete late adopter.

Kevin

Moses also plays in the Theon Cross Trio with Theon and Nubya Garcia. You might also like their stuff.

The EP they have on their Bandcamp site is OK but I've much preferred what I've seen of them live. They're recording a LP now so fingers crossed for that.

New Binker And Moses LP is out soon on Gearbox - featuring Evan Parker no less!

I've really been enjoying the Shabaka And The Ancestors record Shabaka Hutchings made in South Africa (though my pressing sounds pretty nasty...)

You might also enjoy Ashley Henry for a most straightahead sound
https://jazzrefreshed.bandcamp.com/album/ashley-henrys-5ive

I'm loving the South London jazz revival at the moment - it's great being able to go to gigs and see musicians who aren't either a) really old or b) look/sound like they've walked out of a home counties grammar school :)

I know what you mean. This

is better than the Bandcamp download. Must get to see them soon.

Thanks for the other recommendations: will check them out.

Know what you mean about grammar school kids - the best new jazz seems to come from listening to hip hop and Sun Ra and playing alongside rappers and DJs, not borrowing your music teacher's Pat Metheney and Miles Davis cds.

I'm not a Jazz buff, but I do like a lot of what these guys do. This clip is at the tamer end of what they do, and is beautiful.

Nice thread pick up with some great music.

Exodus move the early Jazz Crusaders sound forward imo (check out 'Live At The Lighthouse 66')

Looking forward to the forthcoming Binker and Moses already having Dem Ones.

Snark Puppy sound really cool too.

Cameron Graves album came out about a month ago, he plays with Kamasi Washington, it's pretty full-on but in a good way (lots of notes!) if you like this you'll like the album:

advertisement

Back