Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A Thread for New Jazz

Discussion in 'music' started by kjb, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Theo

Theo pfm Member

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

A great interview with Emma Jean Thackray from Stereophile reviewer Ken Micallef.

Engels and paulfromcamden like this.
  3. Theo

Theo pfm Member

Looking forward to this release - "The Hands of Time' by Weedie Braimah and friends:

4. hermit

hermit obsessive

Heads up PFM jazzers:

Lady Blackbird - Black Acid Soul is only available as a limited edition on vinyl so get it now while you still can. They say it won't be re-pressed. I'd suggest buying the black version as there have been reports that the coloured vinyl can be noisy. It's an awesome LP. What a voice.

flapland likes this.
  5. kjb

kjb pfm Member

I'm liking this - jazz on Warp Records -

Alex N and albireo like this.
  6. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

That's great! I missed this and the vinyl seems to be sold out everywhere. Hoping for a re-press.

7. flapland

flapland pfm Member

I agree this is excellent and can confirm the coloured vinyl is sadly noisy. Got a black copy to replace and thats much better.

If word of mouth gets round though I suspect they will end up repressing the standard edition. If she was a UK artist I could have seen this on next years Mercury Award list

hermit likes this.
  8. Theo

Theo pfm Member

I've just asked for a replacement for my blue vinyl copy. Hopefully the next one is quieter...

Still a great album though.

hermit likes this.
  9. Neil P

Neil P pfm Member

I saw a Steve Guttenberg review of a Denafrips dac and he mentioned Nik Bartsch. I wouldn't say I'm a jazz fan, but I love the Conundrum album!

10. Theo

Theo pfm Member

11. Engels

Engels pfm Member

do you mean
    Nik Bärtsch's Mobile – Continuum

12. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

13. James Evans

paulfromcamden likes this.
  14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Annoyingly they’ve started separating the tax out so you get a shock when checking out. No, it isn’t £22.49, and the postage is more than I’d expect too. Ah well, bought. I bagged the Portico Quartet when first announced.

15. Neil P

Neil P pfm Member

That's the one! May not be a popular choice amongst jazz fans but I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't even have called it jazz (but I'm a total newby to jazz!).

Engels likes this.
  16. James Evans

I know, that is really annoying, you think you're getting something at a decent price (still bloody expensive though), and then they hit you with the tax and postage!

paulfromcamden likes this.
  17. Engels

Engels pfm Member

18. Neil P

Neil P pfm Member

I started to listen to that when I was out and about (on headphones) which meant I didn't hear the full textures and layers. Will try again at home when I can give it my full attention.

19. James Evans

Looking forward to finally seeing Matthew Halsall and band live in Manchester next month!

20. vince rocker

vince rocker pfm Member