advertisement

A thread for great choral videos

Another old favourite, also based on ancient writings, if not quite so old as Assyrian - Carl Orff's Carmina Burana:

The collection of 11th-13th century poems were discovered in the monastery of Benediktbeueren in Bavaria in the early 19th century, They are generally bawdy and irreverent, probably written by students. Whether the originals were ever set to music, or what they would have sounded like, is not known, but Orff's work, debuted in 1936, is an remains a great crowd pleaser.

A superb concert from Peter Philips' Tudor Choristers in the chapel of the Mont St.-Michel:

Thomas Tallis's famous 40-part motet Spem in alium, by Harry Christophers and the Rather More Than Sixteen:

Back with the Tallis Scholars, unfortunately not live, but a lovely performance. Palestrina's Missa Papae Marcelli was written at a critical time in the history of church music - the Council of Trent was seriously contemplating banning polyphonic music, because some folk said it was too involved and was beyond the comprehension of worshippers, diverting them from proper worship:

Hans Pfitzner even wrote an opera Palestrina on the subject. The danger to church music was actually much exaggerated, but it made for a good story.

Israel in Egypt was one of Handel's first oratorios. It tends to be forgotten that operas in the Italian style comprised something like one-third of Handel's output. When the vogue for them collapsed, Handel was in severe financial trouble. The answer was oratorio - no staging, no costumes.

Israel is noted for its marvellous choruses, which shows Handel at his dramatic best - just listen to He spake the word - and there came all manner of flies at 10:26, with the strings doing fly impersonations, and the thunderous He gave them hailstones for rain at 12:30, and the marvellous final chorus The Lord shall reign for ever and ever at 1:19:30. Interesting that Handel used trombones to give the brass extra rasp.

As one commentator said, it's a shame to see so many empty seats for such wonderful music. Interesting (and sad) to see that, in the Swiss Trogen Bach cantata series, the audience is composed mainly of oldies. Some education needed.

Two of the greatest of the Bach cantatas, performed by Ton Koopman and his group, first BWV140:

Well that's my favorite. I'm still searching for a better one, but I keep returning to Koopmans interpretation. Not in the least because of his funny way of conducting.

Well that's my favorite. I'm still searching for a better one, but I keep returning to Koopmans interpretation. Not in the least because of his funny way of conducting.
Gardiner's version from the Cantata Pilgrimage is rather good. I am also very fond of the old Fritz Werner recording from the Erato series Les grandes cantates de J.S. Bach.

Sadly not a live performance (not really possible in the circumstances), but with Christmas approaching, an indispensable recording - Paul McCreesh's recreation of a Lutheran Mass for Christmas morning:

It was recorded in Roskilde Cathedral in Denmark, and McCreesh recruited many local choirs to sing the part of the congregation. It features some of the marvellous old Lutheran carols, with a musical earthquake performance of In dulci jubilo at the end.

New year means BWV190, a cantata written for the new year 1724.

Sadly only the opening chorus (which is actually a reconstruction - only the vocal score survives) - the whole cantata may be found here:

Happy New Year!

A bit of fun - in the final concert of the Cantata Ring in Leipzig, Gardiner has the audience join in in the final choral of BWV140 Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme (Sleepers, awake):

Haven't added to this for a while - a nice performance of Beethoven's Choral Fantasy - which always seemed to me to be almost a dry run for the last movement of the 9th Symphony.

advertisement

Back