advertisement

A thread for forthcoming vinyl releases...

Actually I was referring to the Geffen single LP versions. Fortunately I can’t accommodate 45rpm and I had previously only read about the UHQR editions coming out but these others must be better than my overplayed Aja and Gaucho lps which badly need replacing and my Katy Lied sounds really flat. So 30 dollars sounds perfect.

I am on the fence about these Dan re issues, I have all the UHQR released so far buying them from the USA direct up until the recent Miles 45. I passed on that due to the exchange rate practically reaching negative territory now. £200 is a lot of money for albums I already own at least 3 times each, I really want to read a review as to the sound quality. I’m think that’s the albums themselves won’t sound astronomically better than the standard issues which used the same BG mastering I’m led to believe. Until I get concrete opinions as to sound quality I won’t be pre ordering as it’s a lot of money to invest.

This would seem to be the thread where a forthcoming release of Ptah the El Daoud ought to be mentioned, but it doesn’t seem to have been yet. I’ve probably missed it elsewhere. I’m quite excited, but please tell me if I shouldn’t be!

https://www.normanrecords.com/records/194788-alice-coltrane-ptah-the-el-daoud
Oh well, despite an overwhelming chorus of indifference from pfm’ers I have now placed a pre-order with my local indie dealer. It appears that as a result of its being pressed at Third Man there also will be a yellow version available exclusively through their outlets. I’m trying to find out whether this means solely in the US or via their London shop too.

Oh well, despite an overwhelming chorus of indifference from pfm’ers I have now placed a pre-order with my local indie dealer. It appears that as a result of its being pressed at Third Man there also will be a yellow version available exclusively through their outlets. I’m trying to find out whether this means solely in the US or via their London shop too.
This is actually huge, I’ve been after a vinyl copy forever. Shame it’s not getting special treatment: I imagine the Verve By Demand approach is to email someone a WAV and have them knock it out. Still.

This is actually huge, I’ve been after a vinyl copy forever. Shame it’s not getting special treatment: I imagine the Verve By Demand approach is to email someone a WAV and have them knock it out. Still.
I did think it was fairly largish myself. Without wishing to go all Hoffman-obsessive about it I like to think the Third Man involvement might bring a degree of integrity. The pressing should be good, at least.

As the spiel for Verve By Request says 'Albums will be newly remastered from original analog sources, when available' I'd like to think that if a digital file is used the analogue sources are either in an unknown location or do not exist anymore - in other words there will never be a record pressed from them again. Although I'm probably being naïve. But I guess if the thought of digital sources is terminally offensive to anyone, they always have the option of not bothering to buy.

Last edited:
It is one of the recordings where there is a lot of uncertainty as to whether the original master tapes still exist in any form. They were possibly destroyed in an earlier fire to the 2008 Universal Studio’s one, thrown out or just lost. Reissues of it disappeared between 1975 and 1996 when it was then digitally remastered by Eric Labson at Universal Studio’s, but the source is not known. There is a possibility that as this was recorded at the Coltrane home studio in Dix Hills, New York on January 26, 1970 that the masters or at least a 1/4” copy tape are held by Coltrane’s estate still. But as you say as it is a fairly ‘low level’ release this is probably just a digital file. If it was direct from the original mastertapes or even a copy master there would be much more fuss / publicity about it.

I missed this last Thursday - agree that this is very exciting! Thanks MB!

Does anyone know what this Verve By Request series is?

edit: found some info. Analog sources 'where available'.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...equest-as-vinyl-reissue-series-301646454.html

Some great records scheduled!

Verve By Request Releases (November 2022 – June 2023):
November 11, 2022: Roy Brooks – Beat
November 11, 2022: Alice Coltrane – Ptah, The El Daoud
December 9, 2022: James Brown - Soul On Top
December 9, 2022: Mel Brown – Chicken Fat
January 13, 2023: Ahmad Jamal – The Awakening
January 13, 2023: Archie Shepp – Kwanza
February 10, 2023: Dorothy Ashby - The Rubáiyát Of Dorothy Ashby
February 10, 2023: Gábor Szabó - The Sorcerer
March 10, 2023: Blossom Dearie - Blossom Dearie
March 10, 2023: Eartha Kitt - Bad But Beautiful
April 28, 2023: Yusef Lateef – Psychicemotus
April 28, 2023: Pharoah Sanders - Black Unity
May 26, 2023: Wayne Shorter - Footprints Live!
May 26, 2023: Herbie Hancock - The New Standard
June 30, 2023: Albert Ayler - Love Cry
June 30, 2023: Sun Ra - Space Is The Place

I heard a volunteer orchestra play that in a park setting once, there wasn't a dry eye amongst those watching - everyone just captivated by the voice, it was very moving.

advertisement

Back