advertisement

A thread for forthcoming vinyl releases...

Jules Buckley and orchestra. ‘The Breaks,’

hip-hop breaks given the orchestral treatment.

A bit Elvis meets the L.S.O. :( but I am going for the c.d. and vinyl anyhoo.

c.d. via Amazon as there is no image for the vinyl release in September.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B097X7LRWJ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
188333-the-hawks-obviously-5-believers.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B099L4CV2N/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

The sound of Birmingham in the late 70s/early 80s, finally released after 40 years of sitting on a tape in a box. The post-Duran Duran Stephen Duffy and Dave Kusworth alongside Paul Adams, Simon Colley and Dave Twist.

Apologies for the ramble but this release is quite poignant for me: a couple of years ago I was in Swordfish Records in Birmingham for an in-store appearance by Duffy before an interview and short live set he was doing later that night. I got talking to a couple of chaps, one a leather-coated, hat-wearing rockstar type, and with a bit of time on our hands after Duffy left we all went for a few drinks before the show.

Whilst getting him a drink (non-alcoholic - he later said had a medical issue) I asked the coated one his name and he replied 'Dave Kusworth'. Ah, um, :oops:. I knew the name but despite being a Brummie he and his music had somehow passed me by. There was a spare ticket going for the show so Dave had it and the three of us went in together. Whilst in there and after further apologies were offered he pulled out a copy of one of his albums so I had to buy it, and he kindly signed it for me there at the bar.

IMG-20210819-180223.jpg

Towards the end of the show I suggested he go and talk to Stephen but he seemed reluctant, even a little embarrassed. The alcohol was helping by this point so I said it a few more times and eventually he went over. It was at that point he said to Stephen to release The Hawks tapes, something he'd apparently said a few times before over the years. Earlier he'd also said to me he had demo tapes of them doing Duffy's hit, Kiss Me, and I was welcome to come round for a listen. Turned out he lived round the corner from where I used to in Moseley.

Sadly I didn't get his number or catch up with him again after the show, and just under a year later Dave died. It was the last time he and Duffy met too, so Stephen this time committed to releasing the tapes as a tribute to Dave. It is comforting to think that in some small part I had a hand in this release.

RIP Dave (and Gaz of Swordfish)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
'Look Out' the first new album for 5 years by veteran jazz improvisers The Cookers that includes
Billy Harper: tenor sax
Eddie Henderson: trumpet
David Weiss: trumpet
Donald Harrison: alto sax
George Cables: piano
Cecil McBee: bass
Billy Hart: drums
Due out 24th September recorded at Van Gelder's Englewood studio's, mastered at Gearbox and pressed at Optimal. Not made clear if the recording is analogue, but the the mastering is. £25 for 2 x LP's (although it seems only 3 sides) seems a bargain to me so I have it on preorder.

https://store.gearboxrecords.com/collections/new-releases/products/the-cookers-2-x-vinyl-lp

Or a bit cheaper to pre order on Amazon:

https://amzn.to/3z63XIO

Radiohead s Kid A and Amnesiac getting an interesting twofer reissue.

(Sorry, I could not find an Amazon link)

Andy's records....there was one in Ipswich...and my mate worked there
Never gave me a discount...but would always allow me to swop my "mistake" buys for different bands....a godsend when you could only afford one record a week!!

Thanks, funny it was my favorite period of the Waterboy’s, it was unpopular at the time as they went quite far away from the pop music at the time.I got off the bus after this but saw them at the Bath forum last week so dipping my toe back in for this purchase.

advertisement

Back