advertisement

A thread for forthcoming vinyl releases...

Sorry can’t reveal my source.I should have not mentioned it until it will be announced.won’t make that mistake again

‘Ill considered’ just announced a limited release improv jazz/ visual art collaborative project via their band camp page : I enjoyed their Christmas record a few years back, not sure about this project but might be of interest to someone here

Two LP i am considering
Japan tin drum half speed re master
Steely Dan aja 180gram reissue
I have first uk press of both are these any better

‘Ill considered’ just announced a limited release improv jazz/ visual art collaborative project via their band camp page : I enjoyed their Christmas record a few years back, not sure about this project but might be of interest to someone here

I have all their LPs. ISTR that the new one you are describing is about £83 for a three track e.p. I decided to pass on it.

I have first uk press of both are these any better

I’ve heard the Tin Drum and felt my original UK issue bettered it. Quite substantially actually. That’s always been a great sounding record. For Aja (based on reading a lot) I’d stick with the UK first press unless you can find a US original or the Cisco reissue. I’ve got an early UK copy, A2/B2 IIRC and it is good but I get the impression a tape generation away from the original US cut. A mint early US press has been on my ‘wants’ list for ages now.

I had the Cisco of Aja but got rid of it in 2012 with loads of other now-expensive and unrealistic to replace vinyl when I sold my SME 10/V. What a mistake that was!

I have all their LPs. ISTR that the new one you are describing is about £83 for a three track e.p. I decided to pass on it.

I also thought it was a(n) (extremely!) high price for an ep at first, but having seen the making of video now I'm not sure. You're getting 12 pieces of original artwork too (I think I'm right in saying they're giving you the actual ink/paint on paper rather than scans) which is pretty good value (if you like the art of course!)

I don't own any of their previous LPs (streaming only at the moment) - how are the pressings / sound on those?

I also thought it was a(n) (extremely!) high price for an ep at first, but having seen the making of video now I'm not sure. You're getting 12 pieces of original artwork too (I think I'm right in saying they're giving you the actual ink/paint on paper rather than scans) which is pretty good value (if you like the art of course!)

I don't own any of their previous LPs (streaming only at the moment) - how are the pressings / sound on those?

The LPs are great. I was originally intending to buy the FLACs only but the vinyl is nice to have. Broadly speaking it is immaculately pressed. Some of the live recordings are a bit rough 'n ready but it suits the almost chaotic nature of the music.

Try and get an AB1006 US gatefold pressing of Aja by far away the best pressing i have heard and it will save you money looking at the prices of the Cisco pressing.

I just got into Stereolab. They reissued a lot of their catalog in 2019 on vinyl with an additional expanded disk. I just got Dots a Loops along with Emperor Tomato Ketchup. They’re both very well packaged. Any fans?

https://bleep.com/stereolab-reissues

Me! I picked up most of their albums on vinyl at the time of release and bought the high-res reissues during last year’s crazy Bleep sale when they were something ridiculous like £3 each.

Ian Boddy "Axiom" is available from his Bandcamp page, limited edition of 250 on vinyl. Also CDs, artwork bundles etc.
I've gone for it, been playing the Bandcamp stream a lot - it's clean, shiny kosmische / Berlin synth, not really groundbreaking but a great listen.

advertisement

Back