advertisement

A thread for forthcoming vinyl releases...

A colleague of mine is involved with a small record lable that issues some of Jez Kerr's solo stuff and knows Jez some. He has given me a couple of promo CDRs of singles, the last one signed by the man himself, and a copy of his album. I saw ACR live in my student days but they were a bit too 'electronic' for me then although I am more inerested now. Are the recent reissues any good or better to seek out originals?

A lot of the stuff in the Box Set is either material that was overlooked in the recent reissue program or was unreleased. The Mute reissues I've heard/bought are really very good, so are probably going to be better than a 30 - 40 year old LP unless you are very lucky to find one in minty condition. I've got all the original Factory and A&M LPs and singles in very decent condition. I have been very selective with the Mute reissues, focusing on the Rob's Records LPs, which were released while I lived in Australia and were unobtanium down there.

In general, ACR LPs are not too expensive second hand so you might be able to save a bit by buying second hand.

Great thanks for that.

PS: Force and I'd Like to See You Again re's ordered from Norman Records

Last edited:
This may float yer boats, vinyl lovers

https://elliotgalvin.bandcamp.com/album/modern-times

The Elliot Galvin Trio. Recorded, mixed and cut direct to disk, this is a very good recording, very live and dynamic, no post production at all. Each side of the record is one continuous take, no edits or other tomfoolery.

I don't have the vinyl, only the flac download as I don't have a gramophone to decode vinyl any more.

(The blurb claims it's recorded "direct to vinyl" though I suspect it would be too arduous to reproduce the performance and record it every time someone orders the record...)

What does cut direct to disc mean?

Do they have several ( some ) cutting lathes going at once to do this ?

I have never grasped the concept. ( bit thick )

New-Order.jpg

Triple Live LP featuring the Decades show from MCR International Festival shows of 2017 and the Decades film. No Amazon presale link available yet. I'll update the thread when one appears. Release date is July 12th.

What does cut direct to disc mean?

Do they have several ( some ) cutting lathes going at once to do this ?

I have never grasped the concept. ( bit thick )

Instead of recording to tape or digital , engineer cuts directly to disc/lacquers
major problems huge cost , no overdubs & one take live performance
in the old days every record was done this way

Norma Tanega's 1966 album 'Walkin' My Cat Named Dog' has recently been re-released on vinyl for t'1st time.
It features the song 'Your Dead', which was the theme tune for 'What We Do In The Shadows' tv series.
It's a cracker imo.

Norma Tanega's 1966 album 'Walkin' My Cat Named Dog' has recently been re-released on vinyl for t'1st time.
It features the song 'Your Dead', which was the theme tune for 'What We Do In The Shadows' tv series.
It's a cracker imo.

If you needed any further encouragement, the record is bright green.

:=) I couldn't resist buying the record, but it's not as bright green as Swamp Thing might desire.

Other greens are available...

IMG 0213

I'm now going to have to check my record collection for green vinyl. A couple of recent ones were green-ish, maybe an older David Sylvian and an Ozric Tentacles...

advertisement

Back