advertisement

A thread for discussing the science behind power cables and their potential influence on amplifiers

No doubt he is very enthusiastic about the products, but he still performed (because it certainly was a performance) what I would call a rigged demo, full of rhetoric intended to tell the listener what their opinion should be and concluding with outright abuse.

I’ve seen that dem several times and I think you must have caught Steve right at the very end of his patience on that particular day. Dealing with punters at shows etc can be spectacularly tedious, especially if trying to do a set dem routine. I’ve not seen Steve for years, but he’s a genuinely decent bloke with a lot of interesting viewpoints on audio, though personally I’d far prefer to talk to him about tube amps and his Dahlquist DQ-10s than MW product! I’m surprised this isolated event still has currency this many years later to be honest. I’ve forgotten most of the crap dems I’ve seen over the years as there have been just so many - it is actually easier to remember good hi-fi show or shop dem experiences as they are so much smaller in number!

Like you, I've forgotten most dems, good and bad, I've had. The only reason this one really stands out is because of Steve's closing line "nobody in this room is interested in your opinion"; this wasn't directed at myself but was still comedy gold :).

No, they really weren't; Steve was saying that research showed this and that (that mains cables sounded best at a specific length, neither longer nor shorter etc.) and the person in question asked where the research he mentioned came from - at this point Steve lost the plot.

It wasn't the end of the day either.

No, they really weren't; Steve was saying that research showed this and that (that mains cables sounded best at a specific length, neither longer nor shorter etc.) and the person in question asked where the research he mentioned came from - at this point Steve lost the plot.

It wasn't the end of the day either.
You don’t think maybe interrupting the flow of a dem to make the usual sort of cable thread pointed questions about evidence might be thought unhelpful?

Some people clearly attend these dems to make mischief, I’ve sat in them myself as a punter and it’s annoying when the dem has to pause to deal with the heckling, which is basically what it is regardless of how you dress it up. If the person was genuinely interested in the research he could have asked privately afterwards rather than during the dem. Ask yourself why he didn’t.

Like you, I've forgotten most dems, good and bad, I've had. The only reason this one really stands out is because of Steve's closing line "nobody in this room is interested in your opinion"; this wasn't directed at myself but was still comedy gold :).

I hope that, at this point in the proceedings, several people at least coughed or cleared their throats...

There were only four people being demonstrated to and I knew two of the others*, I've sometimes wondered what the fourth person thought of the whole fracas.

* One was my friend Dave (he doesn't post on this forum) who quite innocently asked about how the scientific evidence mentioned had been arrived at and apparently pushed Steve over the edge.

You don’t think maybe interrupting the flow of a dem to make the usual sort of cable thread pointed questions about evidence might be thought unhelpful?

Some people clearly attend these dems to make mischief, I’ve sat in them myself as a punter and it’s annoying when the dem has to pause to deal with the heckling, which is basically what it is regardless of how you dress it up. If the person was genuinely interested in the research he could have asked privately afterwards rather than during the dem. Ask yourself why he didn’t.

Please feel free to justify the events however works best for you and if that means making up different facts then that's also your prerogative. For my part, I was actually there and know what happened and how and what was said (I was actually keen to hear the demo). Steve had answered a number of previous questions quite happily and the flow of the demo seemed to be going OK to me. I certainly didn't think Dave's question was very inflammatory and I was very surprised by Steve's outburst. It really wasn't heckling, but hey, if it helps. Look, it was funny at the time and the most outlandish demo I've ever attended - but it was only a demo and everyone has off days and says things they later regret. I'm sure Steve is a very nice chap 99.99% of the time so lets all move on shall we?

So someone was actively trolling/baiting him?

In my example both my pal and I were stunned by Steve's sudden change from having a reasonable discussion to shouting "you must be deaf, when was the last time you heard live music?". Therefore I am prepared to accept YNWOAN's version of events as accurate.

Look, it was funny at the time and the most outlandish demo I've ever attended - but it was only a demo and everyone has off days and says things they later regret. I'm sure Steve is a very nice chap 99.99% of the time so lets all move on shall we?
I'm a bit confused. Was it funny, or outright abuse, or rigged and pressured? Because I'm afraid I've lost track.

advertisement

Back