advertisement

A thing of beauty for under £1500

hughmc2

pfm Member
I am very happy with the sound from my set-up. It's not as exotic or as esoteric as a lot of systems on here but it's good enough for my cloth-ears.

Recently I had a bit of spare cash come my way and after lots of research I have come to the conclusion that it was never the sound, it's the look.
The dCS DAC in the Arcam CD23 takes some beating, the Michell Gyro SE/Graham Slee reflex combo is the biz and the CM5's are just right for my small-ish living room. So perhaps it's time to change the amp ?

My problem is that the A32 amp is a bit like my Combi-boiler. The combi does everything you could want it to do. It produces a very high-end supply of hot water, reliably, on time. But I never feel the need to take my mates in to show it off. I never sit in the kitchen and look lovingly at it. The A32 has become a bit like that. It's very fit-for-purpose but it's not a looker.

You guys have lot more knowledge on this subject than I do. Can anybody suggest an integrated amp that I could get 2nd hand for under £1500 that will sound as good as the A32 ( smooth, clean, detailed ) but has that factor "Kelly Brook" factor.

Current favourites are Pathos Logos, Luxman 505u, anything Accuphase, some Densen's ????

Please, no comments about how it's only the sound that matters. I don't see many shots in the "Sysytem Pics" showing peoples gear in cupboards or behind sofa's. It's all very high profile. Shown off on purpose built stands. To be admired & desired.

? musical fidelity KW250s ? it looks better on a stand! (in high heels and ...... stop it Michael) an all in one that sounds smooth, clean and detailed.

S/H only though

Good luck finding your Kelly Brook

M

Hide the 'A32 out of sight, and buy a nice painting for the 1500 quid to look at.
Or get a life.

Bit difficult to answer not knowing what sort of style looks wise you like. To some a big shiny tube amp is lovely and to others it is bling and horrible.

Personally I like the more unusual and will try stuff on looks, it only stays if it sounds good, but I will try!. As such if I can ever afford it I'm dying to try a well tempered turntable as I love the golf ball idea. Most mags and reviewers seem to think these things aren't the prettiest but I love the design.

Maybe post of few pics of items that you do like the look of and some more suggestions might follow. Have you got a colour in mind - are your Arcams etc black or silver and are you fussy if the new amp doesn't match.

Having seen some of the guys stuff on here if you want something that really stands out looks wise (I think nicely!) is the Tube Technology amps, not sure about their spec in relation to your CM5's but they get good praise on the sound front.

Good luck!

martin

Hide the 'A32 out of sight, and buy a nice painting for the 1500 quid to look at.
Or get a life.

just got back from squash and read this. Nice !

Tonight I'll go to the gym, saturday is Striding Edge, sunday morning golf, tuesday take son to kickboxing, 4 weeks from now is Fuertaventura, , french nightclass starts soon, Annapurna Sanctuary ( Nepal ), again, next Easter

..........how's your life ? ;)

I've seen the Densens and yes they do like nice but i was thinking of something that is a feature in itself. Maybe something with a retro look like the Accuphase's / Luxman's - can I get one of these for around £1500 ? If so which one ?

or maybe even valves ? of which I know absolutely nothing other than what I have read in reviews.....exactly ;)

but, as you say it has to work with the CM5's and sound at least as good as the A32

room is quite "hard" - oak floors, wood blinds, painted walls, not much soft furnishing. 21' x 12' ( speakers firing across 12' )

musical taste - eclectic but no rap and nothing that might be played on Radio 1

just got back from squash and read this. Nice !

Tonight I'll go to the gym, saturday is Striding Edge, sunday morning golf, tuesday take son to kickboxing, 4 weeks from now is Fuertaventura, , french nightclass starts soon, Annapurna Sanctuary ( Nepal ), again, next Easter

..........how's your life ? ;)

:D:D:D

If you desire change, then buy a Luxman and you'll be smitten. Get a listen!

thanks.

Just been on your site. You have a lot of very nice gear there. Nice site as well. For you to suggest Luxman when you don't even sell it must say something.

I will try to hear one somewhere but can't seem to find anywhere within 100 miles of Leicestershire. So, will probably wait for a 2nd hand one to pop up.

may even decide to sell the Gyro and the vinyl, and really push the boat out ??

thanks.

Just been on your site. You have a lot of very nice gear there. Nice site as well. For you to suggest Luxman when you don't even sell it must say something.

I will try to hear one somewhere but can't seem to find anywhere within 100 miles of Leicestershire. So, will probably wait for a 2nd hand one to pop up.

may even decide to sell the Gyro and the vinyl, and really push the boat out ??

Thanks for your nice comments.

Michell and Luxman would be some nice brands to sell, so maybe in a month or two we can approach them again. Luxman + Vivid Audio = Superb

Actually I find the painting idea excellent

something that you could get lost in while listening - buy 2 or 3 & swap around to avoid boredom

Current favourites are Pathos Logos, Luxman 505u, anything Accuphase, some Densen's ????

Please, no comments about how it's only the sound that matters. I don't see many shots in the "Sysytem Pics" showing peoples gear in cupboards or behind sofa's. It's all very high profile. Shown off on purpose built stands. To be admired & desired.

You've listed very good components, and each with their own great sound, but just going on looks, anything Pathos. Personally, I would go for two SH Pathos One's. And their Digit cd spinner is really just beautiful.

advertisement

Back