advertisement

A thank you to Stephen Sank

gregjf

Nearly two years ago my beloved Naim CDS1 player stopped reading CDs. I brought it to my local Naim dealer and it was sent to a local technician, who declared that the transport was bad that it was unlikely that a replacement could be found. I searched around and found this to be true.

I called a few electronic repair shops and even contacted Naim repair and got the same diagnosis. I posted on many forums, including this one for help. Here's my post here and the reply from Stephen Sank:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/203280-need-help-my-naim-cds1-player.html

By this time I was resigned to my CDS1 being merely a doorstop and was reluctant to ship it away based on a forum post. Now fast forward to a month ago.... I remembered my conversation with Stephen Sank and decided to take a risk and ship it and the CDSPS to him in Tucson, Arizona.

http://www.thuntek.net/~bk11/home.htm

Well, my Naim CDS1 is now playing in the background as I write this. It's back and repaired thanks to him. Apparently, the problem was merely a focus offset adjustment. While it was there I had him replace and upgrade all the caps and it sounds far better than it ever did.

I can't thank him enough for fixing a piece of stereo gear that I assumed was beyond repair and irreplaceable to me. My CDS1 is back in the Quadraspire rack with my other Naim gear and I have a big smile on my face.

It's often a rarity when things actually work out in life. To me, this Naim CD player has a magical ability to make music and I'm delighted to have it back in the land of the living, so to speak.

Absolutely agree with you Greg. The original CDS is still my all-time favorite hifi component after forty years in the hobby. Mine is still running strong despite its inabilty to access tracks randomly now. Not a problem for me though as I listen to disks all the way through just like i did record albums.

I agree, the CDS was and is a very special player, I have the next best thing, the CDi and I love it!

Nearly two years ago my beloved Naim CDS1 player stopped reading CDs. I brought it to my local Naim dealer and it was sent to a local technician, who declared that the transport was bad that it was unlikely that a replacement could be found. I searched around and found this to be true.

I called a few electronic repair shops and even contacted Naim repair and got the same diagnosis. I posted on many forums, including this one for help. Here's my post here and the reply from Stephen Sank:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/203280-need-help-my-naim-cds1-player.html

By this time I was resigned to my CDS1 being merely a doorstop and was reluctant to ship it away based on a forum post. Now fast forward to a month ago.... I remembered my conversation with Stephen Sank and decided to take a risk and ship it and the CDSPS to him in Tucson, Arizona.

http://www.thuntek.net/~bk11/home.htm

Well, my Naim CDS1 is now playing in the background as I write this. It's back and repaired thanks to him. Apparently, the problem was merely a focus offset adjustment. While it was there I had him replace and upgrade all the caps and it sounds far better than it ever did.

I can't thank him enough for fixing a piece of stereo gear that I assumed was beyond repair and irreplaceable to me. My CDS1 is back in the Quadraspire rack with my other Naim gear and I have a big smile on my face.

Excellent story.

Sorry to sound negative - General Question to all:

Why can't our lot over here do this for the customers? Do the (so-called) techs/engineers not have the necessary skills?

My Nakamichi CR7 was converted from US mains to European for its previous owner in order to bring it home by Stephen using all approved Nakamichi parts. I think it must have been the only 240volt CR7A in existence!

Running a repair business has not been steady/lucrative since people stopped fixing CRT TVs back in the 80's.

No more quick bucks anymore? tut-tut.

How do the likes of Witchhat, Class A get by then? Is it a hobby for them and they do have "real" jobs?

Just out of curiosity I presume you have already, replaced the tranport some years back? Just wondering how long they tend to last as i've had my cds3 for 6 years now!

Just out of curiosity I presume you have already, replaced the tranport some years back? Just wondering how long they tend to last as i've had my cds3 for 6 years now!

All depends I think on usage and care taken, my CDi is at it left the factory and sounding wonderful.

Like me though, it's prior owner uses vinyl as the primary source so perhaps it has had an easy time of it.

No more quick bucks anymore? tut-tut.

How do the likes of Witchhat, Class A get by then? Is it a hobby for them and they have "real" jobs?

This is my real job! And I'm quite happy to take on these fantastic players. In a lot of respects they're far easier to service and keep working than many of the newer players. I was lucky to have a CDS in the other week and despite owning a CDI had forgotten quite how good they were. Their transports never go wrong unlike their younger brothers.

Greg, excellent account with a happy ending! just imagine how you would have got on before the interweb?!

This is my real job! And I'm quite happy to take on these fantastic players. In a lot of respects they're far easier to service and keep working than many of the newer players. I was lucky to have a CDS in the other week and despite owning a CDI had forgotten quite how good they were. Their transports never go wrong unlike their younger brothers.

It is good that it is your full time business (edited to what I meant), it was more of a question in relation to the post I quoted.

Do you have the ability to ensure the laser focus is correct on CD mechanism's?

advertisement

Back