advertisement

A small Columbia / CBS labelography

columbialabels.jpg

1) US Columbia ‘six eye’ mono – original late 50s to early 60s design with deep groove. Nice heavy paper over card sleeves but prone to seeam splits and ring wear (same as Blue Note and Riverside). Superb sound quality.

2) US Columbia ‘six eye’ stereo – same period and again deep groove. The red or grey colour may or may not mean anything – it doesn’t refer to stereo or mono, and it doesn’t seem to be a distinction between jazz and classical. Any ideas? Superb quality.

3) UK CBS matt orange mono – this is late 50s to early 60s, later 60s kept the same design but has a smoother less matt finish and different contour – I’ve left these off the picture as they’d look no different at this resolution. Nice laminated flip-back or non-flipback sleeves. Superb quality.

4) UK CBS matt orange stereo – same period and traits as above. Superb quality.

5) US Columbia ‘two eye’ – has a ridge but not exactly a deep groove. Stereo ‘two eyes’ are the same IIRC. But I don’t think I’ve got one to photograph. Paper over card sleeves. Superb quality.

6) UK CBS blue – frequently used on classical and also soundtracks. Overlaps with the UK orange timewise, again matt and less matt variations. Both laminated or non-laminated sleeves. Very decent quality.

7) UK CBS mid 70s gradient – used on new titles and later on ‘nice price’ reissues. Variable in quality, but usually pretty decent. No laminated sleeves by this point, just flimsy card.

8) US Columbia mid 70s red – tends to come in nice heavy paper over card 60s style sleeves. Decent quality.

9) UK CBS Masterworks – 70s – 80s classical label and very nice quality. Non-laminated sleeves.

10) German CBS Masterworks – same period as above – I’m sure I’ve seen UK pressings with this design. Thin card sleeves. Decent quality.

11) UK 80s CBS red – quality starting to take a substantial dip now, but not actually bad, just not as good as what went before. Really cheap typical 80s card sleeves. Worth having at the right price.

12) Current US Columbia – appears as both warped 180g and warped 140g pressings. Glossy card sleeves. Actually bad.

13) Japanese 1960s Nippon Columbia pressing. US style paper over card sleeves with OBI and insert. Superb.

14) Japanese 1970s CBS Sony pressing. US style paper over card sleeves with OBI and insert. Superb.

Please post any corrections / opinions / omissions to the above.

Tony.

Hi Tony,

You should know I'm digging this, it's well thought out and very insightful to say the least. This along with the current post regarding Impulse Records, have me smiling ear to ear. As a Jazz Head, it's always nice to see others whom are just as passionate about it as I.

There aren't many post that I respond to as often as I once did, but when it comes to jazz or valves - cartridges or cables!, I'm enlighten.

You go boy!. These type of post are indeed to me a God sent.

Enjoy the weekend,
o_O scar

advertisement

Back