advertisement

A simple low-pass filter for loudspeaker ?

omers

pfm Member
Hi,

I'm looking for a simple low-pass filter (that's the one that removes high freqs ?) to use a large JBL monitor that I have as a sub. I'm looking for a ~60-70 hz filter, preferably with a steep decline.

1. Is there something simple that I can buy or simple enough to build assuming I melted most things I tried to solder ?

2. Can I put this infront (in-line) of the existing x/o or should I discard the x/o and use this only ? I'm in a testing phase, if it seems to work I'll surely remove the x/o, but I prefer no to in the meawhile.

Thx, Omer.

Maplin sell electronic filters for car hi-fi's but these can be used for crossovers in domestic systems. I've used a couple of these before with good results, might sell one as I have an active amp now with crossover. An inductor can be used as a filter but have to be large for subs and in my experience dont work as well.

Thx Eric,

Are these filters "line level" before the power amp, or regular loudspeaker x/o ,working after the power amp and just vefore the loudspeaker ?

I searched maplin's and found only passive x/o for 2way/3way speakers, and found an electronic active crossover for dj's but it's a full module, selling for 80UKP.

Cheers,
Omer.

PS Pls let me know if you sell, and what exactly.

Sorry, yes they seem to have stopped doing them. These units used to be used quite a bit by people wanting active systems and there used to be quite a bit of info about on upgrading the op-amps etc. I have 2, so I'm sure I can let one go - they where about £40 when new I think, so £15 to a Pink Fisher? It's a 3 way active crossover using 4th order (I think) Butterworth crossovers (i.e steep). The crossover points are adustable, the bass being down to 50Hz. It sits between the pre and power amps and needs a 12v supply. I'll dig it out if you want all the specs.

Eric you have pm.

Paul I need a filter as I'm using a large driver in a box as x/o, and this driver works up to 1khz or so.

Cheers, Omer.

A large inductor, say 10 - 12 uH, will roll off arond there, depending on the impedence of the speaker. The rest of the X/O becomes redundant. You may need a shunt capacitor as well.

advertisement

Back