Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A Salutary Tale for Anyone Thinking of Travelling to Pick up Gear

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Bob McC, Mar 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 35451

35451 Guest

^^... should stick with 'gammon' as a pejorative class and background stereotype. It's perfectly acceptable here - nay, it's actually to be encouraged. Lol

christray likes this.
  2. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

I’d suggest my intervention upthread and his subsequent banning was evidence of moderation. pfm won’t tolerate this behaviour. I also have some skin in this game.

It isn’t though fair to continue to discuss banned members as they have no right of reply.

<moderating>

3. Bart

Bart pfm Member

For one transaction a courier may involve more people, but if you consider hundreds or maybe thousands of personal hand overs per day against couriers handling many transactions in a trip (I imagine) the arithmetic is not that simple. Safe option - avoid both.

And nobody should be ‘Going for a drive’ at the moment, I think that’s already been covered.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2020
  4. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

Me driving 5 miles to safely pick up a parcel from someone’s doorstep
    Vs
    Someone else walking to the post office having to slalom past zombies on the way / be close to people in the post office / post office staff handling the package / pick up driver handling it / sorting office handling /destination sorting office handling it / delivery driver my end handling it

Not saying who’s right or wrong - just can’t get my head around the logic

Other than needing a blanket rule as it’s impossible to manage. But it doesn’t mean I couldn’t do it safely and guilt free knowing it’s probably safer

Not saying I will ;) But until non essential online shopping is against the law - it’s just one to ponder :)

5. Bart

Bart pfm Member

You seem to be talking about one particular case and your personal safety Jammers, whereas I am talking about the general picture across the whole population.
    But it is a very difficult thing to make a set of rules that cover everything (as always) I would agree.

6. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

Courts near King Alfred?

We've been asked to exercise close to home and only singly or with a member of the same household. So if two friends meet up and play tennis, it's a bit like shouting that the the rules don't apply to us and if anyone gets sick down the chain, I'm alright.
    So I do get why the WhatsApp group would get hot under the collar.
    Bit blowy down there for tennis though isn't it?

jamington2004 likes this.
  7. JimDog

JimDog pfm Member

The WHO says that over 8m people die each year from tobacco.
    Over 1m of them are non smokers exposed to SH smoke.
    Are you equally concerned about these deaths?
    And are you insisting that tobacco is made illegal globally?

8. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

Not at all - was thinking overall for everyone it seems like the safer option for 1 person to collect in person carefully? Compared to the chain of events triggered by a trip to the post office which is allowed.
    Trust me - me and my family are being very safe and sensible for the sake of everyone - it’s just an interesting discussion :)

9. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

Are doctors and medics who treat people with tobacco related illnesses put at risk treating these patients?

10. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Have you watched "The lives of others"? The police have no power to enforce a gov ministers 'wishes'.

11. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

What an arse, you have the pomposity to lecture others.

JimDog likes this.
  12. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

I’ve locked the thread. It seems to serve no useful purpose, and the drift is quite extraordinary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.