Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A Salutary Tale for Anyone Thinking of Travelling to Pick up Gear

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Bob McC, Mar 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

The home drinking market now has to be huge! People will be needing it in the next three weeks. I got back to Edinburgh last night and the big common bottle wheeled bin out on the street was overflowing with about 150 bottles neatly stood up on the pavement next to it.

these trucks what do the look like btw?

matt j likes this.
  2. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Yes, some of us have ‘Pikey travellers’ in our heritage. I find the term quite offensive. For future reference it doesn’t matter whether you imagine there are many people of that origin present or not, it’s still not appropriate.
    Kind regards
    Richard

Paja, JimmyB, Mr Magoo and 4 others like this.
  3. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

Just have the fella put the amp in your open boot, zero exposure risk.

Snufkin likes this.
  4. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

Pick a style...

5. kimbleman

kimbleman pfm Member

I just desperately needed a haircut. I try hard usually not to enrich Jeff Bezos any more than I have too....but desperate times and all that.

Sorry about calling Travellers 'Pikeys' by the way....I know they are honest tax paying and law upholding citizens.

Snufkin and White Zombie like this.
  6. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo I prefer spots.

Whilst I fully agree that all unnecessary journeys should be avoided, my concern is that the lockdown is likely to be extended well beyond the current projections. That is likely to increase the likelihood of people becoming bored, frustrated, items breaking and ‘needing’ replacing etc etc and more people taking risks with their own health and that of others. Time will tell, but if the lockdown goes on for months as opposed to the 3 weeks initially proposed?
    Peter

Paja likes this.
  7. Eatapeach

Eatapeach Active Member

You hit the jackpot on this thread - xenophobia, offensive discrimination, snobbery and now "monkey couriers"! Until it is proscribed, and as long as the Post Office is open for business and is making deliveries it's moot as to whether posting an item is essential or not. Or does that only apply to other people?

8. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Kimble man has left the building for a week. Please don’t discuss him.
    Thanks

Paja and effinity like this.
  9. Avinunca

Avinunca Canine Hifi and electronics enthusiast.

BJ is the biggest culprit of overloading the NHS with his tardiness to lock down. I'm in favour of the restrictions. Better half most likely has the virus poor girl. Over a week now and not turned the corner. It's a worry. Mom's not so good either with existing probs and she's 60 miles away not that I could risk visiting anyway. Tough times and even worse only one bottle of beer left and no wine! Is there any left in the shops?

10. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Noteworthy how quickly we can turn into a police state though eh?

richth and Paja like this.
  11. clap

clap pfm Member

There is the risk of breaking down and then needing to have contact with other parties. Stay at home. It's not complicated. Just do it. No it's, no buts.

booja30 likes this.
  12. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I've had three people contact me about items I'm selling on Gumtree. Can I come and buy this? No, you can't.

clap likes this.
  13. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

Not quite decided myself. I do see it’s bringing out some very strong and somewhat condescending opinions all around the media / what’s app groups / forums. Anyone who appears at a glance to not be obeying the rules to the letter of the law (whatever that is) is most definitely an absolute ignoramus worthy of execution! ;) My tennis WhatsApp group saw a couple of people playing singles on an otherwise empty seafront court the other day and all hell was let loose!!

Back on topic - surely a courier has to involve more people exposing themselves to risk than 2 people meeting up carefully to hand over a parcel at a safe distance and then disinfecting their product / washing hands once home?

Until they close down all online shopping other than food and medicine, then I am still a bit confused as to why buying gadgets / clothes / music etc online is worse than going for a drive?? (Other than needing to stop everyone and everything, in order to ensure they stop the few who will take the piss?)

And imagine the economy if they shut down online shopping too - surely there has to be some balance amongst all this social distancing effort which I am sure will do the job in good time?

For now I am taking the line that if I am being sensible and staying 2 metres from people and sanitising their bejesus our of anything and everything I touch...... then I might just do something not necessarily deemed by everyone as “essential” like carefully picking up something reasonably important to me, carefully from someone locally.

We can only but hope a high enough % of the population behave well enough for it to run its course.

Unrealistic to think everyone is as caring or vigilant as “one” - but doesn’t make them bad people for me.

Wow where did that rant come from?? I need to get out more!!! :)

Mr Magoo likes this.
  14. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I agree that some of the rules don't seem to make total sense but think about the alternative. People deciding for themselves what is safe and right? Not going to work is it? Bottom line is that we all need to obey they rules, like them or not. I know people who will almost certainly die if they catch this thing.

jamington2004 likes this.
  15. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

Yeah guess that’s the jist of it
    It should be - “anyone who can’t work out what’s sensible - don’t leave the house for anything!!
    Everyone else - be sensible!”
    ;)

16. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

I'm open for business as usual.... by the magic of couriers.... and common sense hygiene precautions. I'm no longer allowing people to come into my home and drop off/collect in person, usually meaning a chat and maybe a cuppa etc in more normal times!
    People can arrange for couriers to collect as well as drop off, and post offices can be dropped by on the way to the shops and are still open... for now.

Paja likes this.
  17. MANDY

MANDY pfm Member

most post offices are now within a shop at least the ones near myself are , so you take to post office whilst you do your weekly shop or at least wait and post only 1 or 2 times a week . the post office is safest option and you are dealing with someone who is behind glass and at mine Gell there hands regular . its not that risky . Posting items is crucial at this time , but if someone is within 20 miles I think safer to collect item of their door step as a courier would just take care be sensible .

18. Natara

Natara pfm Member

My mother comes from a travelling family and I was brought up on a council estae admittedly not dragged up as you so elegantly put it and I'm on this forum.
    So what your saying is it takes a more superior human being with huge intelligence to connect a couple of boxes together and then spend hours and days online discussing how it sounds.
    Pikey is an offensive term and I'd prefer it wasn't used on this forum unchallenged by anykind of moderation. It seems to have gained some traction with the Jeremy Clarkson fan boys but it is a derogatory term applied to people because of their ethnicity.

19. 35451

35451 Guest

I can. Opiates for the masses.

20. Natara

Natara pfm Member

Well done two offensive statements in one post.

booja30 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.