Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A Salutary Tale for Anyone Thinking of Travelling to Pick up Gear

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Bob McC, Mar 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

2. starbuck

starbuck pfm Member

Police issue a TOR because he had a passenger that wasn't wearing a seatbelt, they didn't "book him for travelling to collect an ebay purchase" as far as I can tell from the limited information available (story is based on one twitter post from the issuing police force).

3. Eatapeach

Eatapeach Active Member

I think the wife in the boot may have had something to do with it.....but don't travel unless absolutely necessary.

TheDecameron likes this.
  4. kimbleman

kimbleman pfm Member

I wrote to Tony (L) to post up some trading guidelines on here regarding people still suggesting buyers meeting up to exchange purchases. In the light of our NHS struggling to keep people alive (and guys it ain't just the old and sick....don't fool yourselves) this type of behaviour is frankly not only stupid but is a slap in the face to NHS workers in the front line.
    Tony pointed out that some folks may well need to sell things to help with their finances during this crisis (so stopping short of suspending trading) but everyone needs to think carefully how anything brought or sold on here ends up moving around the country. To personally pick up contravenes the rule of non essential travel. The only logical way of doing it is via a courier (as your trip to the post office to post would also be non essential) and I guess (like me) would you trust your £2k LP12 to arrive in good order via a monkey courier....probably not.
    Maybe just hang on to things until this is all over!?

5. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

interesting to see that empty motorway , they are still pretty busy with many lorries and folks on essential work , lorries of course being essential to carry our many needs [inc toilet paper !!]

6. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

Just meet up, open your boot, transfer the money electronically, return home, leave good in car for few days, remove, disinfect, put one side and install down the line.

7. kimbleman

kimbleman pfm Member

But you have still done an 'unecessary' journey. Some Folks are really having trouble with getting this.....beggars belief how thick some people are!!!
    So matey boys got an amp you want....100 miles away, off you go. So midway there (with not much on the road) the local plod are stopping and checking why people are making a journey. So....exactly why are you nearly 50 miles from home sir??? Well....it's an emergency officer, this amplifier will save my life, my isolation listening standards are currently so bad officer without it my whole system (that I've had for weeks cos I'm an addicted box swapper) will sound rubbish. Might get you a two grand fine by next week.

Eyebroughty, JimmyB, booja30 and 3 others like this.
  8. JimDog

JimDog pfm Member

Yes, anyone who has a different view to you must be thick.

Si74, richth and Paja like this.
  9. George J

George J Herefordshire member

At the very least, any un-necessary trip in a car is going to involve [sooner] an un-necessary trip to the fuel station. That is the best case scenario. Fancy a blow out, a breakdown, or an actual crash. This, as a result, requires that other people make what would otherwise be avoidable social contact.

It is really simple. Un-necessary journeys are unacceptable in the current situation.

Exchanging a luxury item like hifi is ENTIRELY un-necessary, and unacceptable in the current situation. It is not your own risk, but your responsibility to others that matters at this exact moment.

In three weeks, three or six months, or even a year or eighteen months such activities will be normal again.

Only a minor observation on silly people doing silly and deeply irresponsible things, at least until medical science tells us it it is fine.

Keep safe and best wishes from George

10. Weiss-Man

Weiss-Man pfm Member

It’s not a case of having a different view, it’s irresponsible to the current situation and currently against the law. As mentioned no unnecessary travel means no unnecessary travel. Something so simple to understand but some people are finding it so hard to do.

Eyebroughty, booja30 and George like this.
  11. kimbleman

kimbleman pfm Member

Well put George!

JimDog. it's obvious that there are quite a few 'Thick' people out there and possibly they do have a differing opinion from mine.....but that still doesn't stop them being thick in the eyes of the law does it!?

If you are some pikey traveller, or a kid dragged up on a tough council estate in North London I might just give you the benefit of the doubt on this one, however I'm guessing there are not too many from those backgrounds on this forum!?

Just sell the gear when the government gives it a green light chaps.....there will be a bonanza on here in a few months!

booja30 and White Zombie like this.
  12. woodpecker

woodpecker pfm Member

Hey Jimdog.It has nothing to do with having a different view.
    38 doctors in Spain (may be more at time of writing) have lost their lives purely down to catching this virus.They were working to try and save people that have been unfortunate enough to become infected.
    All unnecessary journeys should be avoided.Period.
    How dare anyone flout this and put others at risk.

Zombie likes this.
  13. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

Not thick , The rules dont apply to them only us

14. Bart

Bart pfm Member

I would extend this argument to buying stuff on-line to be delivered (from eBay or elsewhere).That too should be outlawed as far as luxury goods are concerned. It’s causing someone an unnecessary journey and carries all the negatives mentioned, maybe more as there are more people and potential interactions involved.

George J likes this.
  15. kevinrt

kevinrt pfm Member

However, you are permitted to drive to the off-license.
    I haven’t figured out yet why this has been included in essential businesses allowed to continue trading.

Jokey reasons aside, I cannot see how booze is deemed essential.

Kevin

Rack Kit and George like this.
  16. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

I work for one of the big 4 super markets and they are sending out 40ft trailers full of booze , The pubs are closed so its Kerching time

TheDecameron likes this.
  17. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

People are using ambiguity to do things that they know they shouldn't do. We've only got to hole ourselves up for a while; it isn't too much to ask.

Mind you, around our way, recycling collections have stopped (just food waste and normal bins for the moment), but some guys were cutting the grass verge this morning.

18. kimbleman

kimbleman pfm Member

I did order a pair of hairdressing scissors off Amazon yesterday.....could be viewed (under the circumstances) that they are essential. My missus was suggesting I need a haircut and she will do it....slightly nervous. Bastard thing is they are bound to have been made in sodding China. I'm making it a new mantra from this day forward to try my very best to NOT buy anything made there (tricky one I know).

Paja and wylton like this.
  19. Weiss-Man

Weiss-Man pfm Member

Getting the hint yet JimDog??? Probably gone out for a nice scenic drive somewhere!!!! :rolleyes:

20. kevinrt

kevinrt pfm Member

I think now that Kimbleman has undermined his own argument by admitting to causing an unnecessary journey (Amazon delivery), that this thread has run it’s course.

We all need to be more careful in our behaviour, recognising that we’ll probably make a mistake sometime.

Kevin

TheFlash likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.