advertisement

A review of the Linn Kan II speakers

I'm willing to bet even the same model of Kans will sound different from one sample to the next, as will LS3/5As and any other two identical speaker models that use vintage T27/B110 drivers. These drive units can age in unpredictable ways and probably weren't even 100% identically matched when they originally rolled off the production line.

I totally appreciate that, but I would have expected subtle differences. Not the night and day that I heard and has been suggested by others.

Charlie. Which do you prefer. The rosewood scanspeak pair or the teak hiquiphon pair? I believe the bass unit changed to the longer throw one around ser. 33000.
I enjoy the Teak Kans with Hiquiphon tweeter most - they really boogie but sound a bit rough and ready. The Rosewoods with Scanspeak tweeter offer very clean hifi sound but seem a bit musically stiff to me. I've not had the Rosewoods all that long and wonder if they just need to be left playing quite loud for a weekend. I need to do this when I get the chance. I would like to hear another pair (serial ~21,000) to be sure its not just this pair.

I'm hoping the final major variant with long throw bass will enable me to have my cake and eat it but we'll see.

I get the feeling that the Hiquiphon tweeter was more of a colaboration with Linn than the Scanspeak as it was once decribed to me as the 'Linn tweeter'.

Did anyone here buy this stunning pair - wish I had bid now!...
https://picclick.co.uk/Rare-Rosewood-Linn-Kan-Speakers-Mk1-With-Linn-303150558954.html

Thanks Charlie. Interesting. Yes I think the tweeter change was probably to do with things other than it being a better tweeter. Good though the hiquiphon is the scanspeak was no slouch. I actually have a pair of home built speakers with scanspeaks and they are superb. On the other topic of the rosewood Kans, I was seriously going to buy those but I contacted the guy and those brakits on the back were fitted with the supplied screws I checked out the depth of the screws and reckoned there was a good chance they had penetrated the cabinets. Beautiful grain though .

I actually bought the kustone ones with the intention of making them active. But so far ahead were the mk1s I began to wonder why.

It was the fact that the Mk1's sounded so good that made me wonder what I could do make things even better. I'd previously run active Saras and active SBLs and wondered if that would be the way to go.

The main reason I bought the MkII’s was because they are so much easier to rip apart than Mk 1s and they already have two sets of sockets on the back. Take the mid/bass unit out, disconnect speakers from the crossover, remove the crossover, take off all of the components refit the crossover and rewire the speaker units to blank crossover in new positions to connect directly to the terminals, job done.

Impossible to directly compare to upstairs, because the two system are so different, but both sound very good.

Black Kans mk1 on their stands did it for me too, although I had the teak finish..

LP12/Ittok/F9e, Nait 1/Kans was my system for a long time.

After selling it all, I bought some Kans again, and vowed never to have them in the house again (used to full range speakers since), and yet - I find myself trawling eBay regularly for another bargain pair.

I have very fond memories of them at Cathedral Street in the big room sounding fabulous...

After selling it all, I bought some Kans again, and vowed never to have them in the house again (used to full range speakers since), and yet - I find myself trawling eBay regularly for another bargain pair.
That impulse is familiar to me too, and I made the same vow! I hope you get lucky.

Black Kans mk1 on their stands did it for me too, although I had the teak finish..

LP12/Ittok/F9e, Nait 1/Kans was my system for a long time.
I've not heard a combination as rhythmic and funky as Valhalla LP12/Ittok/K9 > Nait 1 > Kan 1s but I couldn't live with the Kans 1s in that system for all that long - Kan 2s might be ok though. Prefer the 12/160 with Kan 1s but still not found the 'ideal' Kan and probably never will. I do wonder if a CB 250 would change things much as well.

Anyone know what amps the Kans were originally developed with? I assume a Naim pairing of some kind.

Worth noting that there are huge differences between the various Kan I versions, e.g. the first ones were built into proper LS3/5A cabs liberated from IIRC Chartwell bankruptcy stock, these also had Scanspeak tweeters rather than the more usual Hiquphon. I get the impression this first generation is seen as the best by many who have heard them against later variants. My guess is the Kan II was an attempt to ‘fix’ later Kan Is that hadn’t really survived the change to an MDF rather than ply cab and the change of tweeter. I certainly much prefer the Kan II to the Mk Is I’ve personally tried against them, but I’ve never had access to the early LS3/5A cab and Scanspeak tweeter type. There are differences in MkIIs too, mainly the ‘KuStone’ cabinet damping of later pairs. I’ve less of an opinion on this, I’ve owned both but not at the same time, so not enough information really.

PS I can’t remember if the Mk I changed cab and tweeter at the same time, I suspect not (i.e. they ran out of cabs first).

Worth noting that there are huge differences between the various Kan I versions, e.g. the first ones were built into proper LS3/5A cabs liberated from IIRC Chartwell bankruptcy stock,
These earliest versions of Kan Is haven't been discussed by any owners yet, as far as I know. Nor have I seen any knowingly advertised for sale. I notice that Falcon Acoustics sell a Kan cabinet kit, I wonder if it is in plywood.

One thing that I do want to try.

Upstairs, the Mk1's are mounted on the Sound Organisation Kan brackets (which are superb). This puts the speakers around 30mm away from the rear wall.

The Mk2 active down stairs, are mounted on Mk2 Kan stands, sitting on a Mana Soundbase, which puts the speakers around 110mm away from the rear wall.

I have a second pair of Sound Organisation Kan brackets, which I would like to try downstairs. The Atlas Z-plugs won't accommodate this, so there would have to be a modification in order to get the Kans on the wall brackets, but I reckon it would be worthwhile.

Always nice to talk about Kans but would be even better to see them all - we need a Kan Photos thread!

A great idea, though I doubt that it would interest most pfm members, so why not post them up on this thread?

I had a pair of those first Kans. They were the first pair brought into Russ Andrews shop in Edinburgh. They were labelled on the back (female electronics) and had the old type screw terminals on the back. I believe they were so called because they were built by two girls in the corner of the factory at Drakemire Drive. Just after I got them Sara's came out and I part exchanged them for those. Was using naim 12/160 at the time. I have seen a couple of pairs for sale on eBay in the last year though, although they are very rare.

I had a pair of those first Kans. They were the first pair brought into Russ Andrews shop in Edinburgh. They were labelled on the back (female electronics) and had the old type screw terminals on the back. I believe they were so called because they were built by two girls in the corner of the factory at Drakemire Drive. Just after I got them Sara's came out and I part exchanged them for those. Was using naim 12/160 at the time. I have seen a couple of pairs for sale on eBay in the last year though, although they are very rare.
Was the front grill visually different to the Linn cabinets?

One thing that I do want to try.A great idea, though I doubt that it would interest most pfm members, so why not post them up on this thread?

I'll start then - not very exciting pics I'm afraid:

Teak.jpg

Rosewood.jpg

It was probably 40 years ago Charlie, but I am sure the grills looked visually identical to the ones today.
Only reason I ask is that the one pair I saw on ebay had a kind of undulated foam rather than flat. I wondered if they were the real deal that's all.

Definitely wasn't foam. Sure they were fabric like the later ones. I do remember the foam grills on my first Sara's covered the whole front and came right out to the perimeter of the cabinets. They looked hellish though so I cut mine into the rebate size with a Stanley knife. After they saw them in the shop Linn changed the grills to the smaller type.

advertisement

Back