advertisement

A review of the Linn Kan II speakers

ampedup

Lost in audio
……Only 26 years after its production ceased. I’m a bit late, but bear with me.

In the late 1980s I walked into the Sound Organisation, York, where they had set up an LP12, Naim Nait and Linn Kans, with almost nothing else in the white-walled room. It was like a shrine. They alternated the Blue Nile with the Rolling Stones. Visitors were standing around shaking their heads and grinning. I was highly impressed and the experience stayed with me as a reference point in my mind for powerful sound.

My first Kan purchase didn’t yield great results. I had some early Linn Kan Is and despite repeated attempts to set them up well, I failed: they were picky, shouty, sensitive to placement etc. I could hear some good music making going on but it didn’t sit very comfortably on my ears.

Then, recently, I had the opportunity to buy a mint pair of late model black Kan IIs.

They arrived looking like they had just come off the production line, all crisp edges and unblemished surfaces. Also, wonder-of-wonders, no-one had ever attempted to lever off the grills. I already owned Linn Kan II stands, so I was ready to audition.

(Black Kans on black Kan II stands are a delight in my eyes).

I used solid core DNM cables based on my previous experience with Kans.

My amp delivers 150 watts per channel into 4 ohms, and I needed all of it.

In my 14’X16’ space, I set them up well out into the room on the stands, away from the walls. I wanted to hear what they could do with minimal room reflections. It didn’t go well. They barked, were bass-light and they didn’t sound like they were in the right place. Yes, I heard holographic sound, air, and good timbre, but it all felt wrong somehow.

I moved the speakers flat to the rear wall, leaving a 5cm gap. They sounded much better, not just because there is bass reinforcement there, but also because that position invited more of the room reflections. This helped the overall coherence and balance in a way I don’t fully understand. All of the sound changed, not just the bass. The soundstage depth became shallower, but the trade-off in coherence, smoothness and sheer beauty of sound was worth it. Crisp detailed accurate timbres made it easy to hear into the inner detail of recordings. They sounded balanced, coherent, lively, sophisticated with a wide soundstage. A classy listen.

Bass response is not huge, but it is full and accurate sounding. On some bassy recordings, it thumps powerfully, with much more than one-note bass. Ella Mai’s ‘Switch Sider” was fully present and even Massive Attack’s ‘Angel’ works well.

The midband has fast, crisp leading edges to sounds, resulting in easy delineation of complex music. i wasn’t prepared for Stravinsky’s Petrushka to sound so gloriousy clear and easy to understand, with the orchestra yielding all of its varied colors without smearing or overhang.

Female vocals are clear, without nasality, and not at all forward-sounding.

The Kan IIs have a character, partly stemming from a lift in the upper midband and a lean bass, but it doesn’t create hardness. It creates an impactful musical drive. It’s easy to tweak that upper midband emphasis, by dropping it a couple of dB to your taste, using a Schiit Loki for example.

On rock music, the clean rendition of instruments removes the effort of hearing into a complex mix. It may not all be there throughout all the octaves and sound amplitudes, but the critical parts of the sound mix are cleanly drawn and well supported by the high treble and low bass response. Led Zeppelin’s BBC sessions comes across as ball-busting, tight, fast music making, albeit on a small-ish scale, depending on room size.

The tweeter is well integrated in the crossover design. It is entirely inoffensive and natural sounding with no graininess or other anomalies to bring attention to itself.

I have some other first class monitors in my studio here and I think, upon comparison, there is a case to be made for manufacturing the Linn Kan II again, to compete with other high end monitors currently in the marketplace.

But only if they don’t change a thing….

Belatedly,

David

Try changing the DNM cables. I thought my Kan II speakers improved a notch or two when I ditched them.

Many moons ago my system was an LP12/Cirkus/Lingo/Ittok/Troika - Naim 32-5/Hi-Cap/250 - Kan IIs. I still have the fondest memories of that system. Many would say it wasn't accurate, but chuck on some well recorded rock or pop and it sang to me like no other system ever had and to an extent ever has. I remember the drums on a T-Bone Burnett album sounding so powerful and tight I could barely believe it. They may have had their issues in some ways, but to those of us who could overlook those they were a speaker like no other.

You used solid core DNM “based on your previous experience”! Sorry, but was that previous experience in a parallel universe?

ou used solid core DNM “based on your previous experience”! Sorry, but was that previous experience in a parallel universe?
Well, I had Kan 1s before and DNM worked well on those speakers. I thought it's a good starting point. I'm open to trying others too. Do you not like the DNM wires?

I've heard the DNM conductors are very thin, so unless it's used in very short runs it will affect the sound. Years ago I tried long runs of thin cable as an experiment and subjectively bass was reduced quite a bit. I'm happy with Talk Cable 3.1, but it looks like you can't get it anymore and the new version (Talk 6) is very expensive. A lot of people recommend Van Damme blue as a budget cable but I found that a bit too smooth sounding.

With Kan IIs I got the best results with Naim A5, with the bi-wire links removed and two sets of Naim plugs soldered onto the one cable in an ‘F’ configuration (i.e. cable as the vertical line, the plugs accurately soldered one above the other on the horizontal). This also enables close spacing to the wall.

First Kan's I heard was on a lowly Arcam Alpha amp, interest was piqued
Same day I heard a Nait 2 on some small Royds, I was hooked
Thats nearly 3 decades ago

Later when I ran Kan's at home they responded best to a LP12 and Naim or Linn electronics (no surprice).

Later on when I changed source they (Kan) never engaged me that much
I finally decided to move on.

Not much info on OP's source and kit.

With Kan IIs I got the best results with Naim A5, with the bi-wire links removed and two sets of Naim plugs soldered onto the one cable in an ‘F’ configuration
Interesting! It happens, there's a fellow less than a mile away selling four runs of NACA5....

Not much info on OP's source and kit.

--Music Hall 9.1 turntable/Channel Islands phono
--Line Magnetic CD transport/Border Patrol tube DAC
--Van Alstine tube pre/PS Audio S300 power amp

It's great to hear other personal histories with the Kans....
What has surprised me with this purchase, is that I hear a speaker on a par with, or better than good modern monitors, of which i've owned a few and heard many.

Last edited:
The Kan II is supposed to be 6R8 minimum and as it is a sealed design, should not be too cable sensitive.
The MK1 and 2 have very different voicing, the 2 being far more neutral

The Kan II is supposed to be 6R8 minimum and as it is a sealed design, should not be too cable sensitive.
The MK1 and 2 have very different voicing, the 2 being far more neutral
Can you clarify what "6R8" means, thank you. I did find that the 2s are a different loudspeaker than the 1s.
Yes, I've tried a few cables now and the speakers sound good on all of them so far.

advertisement

Back