advertisement

A review of some amps on home demo: Naim v Luxman v Devialet v Vitus

O.P., Spd and Maragoo,

As the SIA-O25 runs (or can run?) in class A, is powering up for long periods or even 24/7 a sensible option? Just wondering what the consumption spec's say and whether there's an idle function.

Thanks to the OP for this thread. It has been interesting and I have learned quite a lot.

I've never heard Vitus equipment. Hope to upgrade later in the year. Been considering Tron, a Devialet amp/DAC, a pair of Kii Three speakers or an E.A.R. set-up.

I've already heard three of those and used to own an E.A.R. V20. One thing is for sure, I don't want to get on the Naim-go-round again. It's too expensive and upfront PRAT is fatiguing.

I'll seek out somewhere to have an initial listen to Vitus. It would be great if somebody did a bake off with this kind of equipment.

Jack

O.P., Spd and Maragoo,

As the SIA-O25 runs (or can run?) in class A, is powering up for long periods or even 24/7 a sensible option? Just wondering what the consumption spec's say and whether there's an idle function.

I’d say yes to that Mike, I leave mine on in class AB (you can set to Class A as default if you wish) and mute it (as recommended by the dealer but don’t ask me why the mute) which seems to work. To really start to get the Class A effect it needs a good side of an album from un muting, if I’m only doing a short session I leave it in AB. It must be a heat thing as the amp is noticeably warmer in Class A but not overly so, never looked at the power consumption but should imagine it will use a bit in Class A? I have left it running overnight on a loop in Class A before a full listening session and that’s the best I have heard from my setup.

Replacement for SIA-025 coming soon too apparently.

I've also gone through the Naim journey and think the OP nails it in the original write-up. I spent a lot of time with Vitus (SIA-025, SL-103 / SM-011 / SS-103) and liked a lot of what I heard and appreciate why it's the end-point for many. However, there are other amps out there which reveal Vitus to be quite coloured and masking a lot of detail. If you like this presentation then all good, and a lot could depend on the rest of the system / room acoustics. One advantage is that it helps mask poor recordings.

For me, however, I wanted more detail retrieval, so ended up elsewhere. I guess my recommendation therefore would be to try and back-to-back Vitus with something different just to make sure you are happy with the style of presentation. In the OP's list of kit, this wouldn't be Luxman, and probably not Devialet either.

The 804d has an impedence plot that is all over the shop - particularly in the upper mid which could lead to stridency.

it might well just be that the Naim and Devialet are driving them properly with enough control. To make the comparison valid for those without 804's another less irregular speaker would be good.

I'd concur with CK vis a vis th Devialet but then my loudspeakers are comparatively linear.

However, there are other amps out there which reveal Vitus to be quite coloured and masking a lot of detail. For me, however, I wanted more detail retrieval, so ended up elsewhere. I guess my recommendation therefore would be to try and back-to-back Vitus with something different just to make sure you are happy with the style of presentation.

And which Amps do you mean? ;)

Thanks to the OP for this thread. It has been interesting and I have learned quite a lot.

I've never heard Vitus equipment.

I don't want to get on the Naim-go-round again. It's too expensive and upfront PRAT is fatiguing.

Jack

This was me, NDS, 272/250Dr, S400s, got tired and moved on, I tested Vitus, CHORD DAVE, now with Devialet and new CI board, but itching on Vitus again due to this thread :)

It's amazing how infectious well thought out reviews can be.

Jack

Yes very profitable!

Well done to the OP for taking the time to write his review. A lovely read. I don’t really think I can call myself an audiophile as I’ve never owned anything with Naim written on the box..

Well done to the OP for taking the time to write his review. A lovely read. I don’t really think I can call myself an audiophile as I’ve never owned anything with Naim written on the box..

There there !:rolleyes:. There are other kinds of audiophile; they're probably called the majority, at a guess !

And which Amps do you mean? ;)

Berning Quadrature Z's were perhaps the best at revealing this attribute of the Vitus. The Bernings are lightening-quick and incredibly transparent amps, making the Vitus sound somewhat sluggish and veiled in comparison. TBH I've not found much to touch the Bernings for a combination of transparency, timbral accuracy, and speed, with the exceptions of Constellation and Soulution.

Berning Quadrature Z's were perhaps the best at revealing this attribute of the Vitus. The Bernings are lightening-quick and incredibly transparent amps, making the Vitus sound somewhat sluggish and veiled in comparison. TBH I've not found much to touch the Bernings for a combination of transparency, timbral accuracy, and speed, with the exceptions of Constellation and Soulution.

Are Berning, Constellation and Solution pre and power blocks a fair comparision a Vitus integrated? Not heard Berning amps but Constellation and Solution are very high end indeed. Always opinion and personal choice but I tend to hear lightening quick, transparent and detailed as impressive but tiring and confused on complex material. Could just be my aging ears.

Interesting that the 25WPC of the Vitus in class A were found sufficient.... Class A is the ultimate though in SQ terms though;) I use a class A power amp of my own design in my system here...

I really wouldn't leave a class A amp running 24/7 as apart from the colossal electricity consumption there is the effect of the heat on the amps internals. Expect a year or two tops before needing a full recap...

Good read OP:)

I owned just about every combination of David's amplifiers over the years in both active and passive setups.

I switched to Devialet.

I don't miss the Bernings although they are all very good indeed.

advertisement

Back