advertisement

A review of some amps on home demo: Naim v Luxman v Devialet v Vitus

Excellent review thanks, I do find it hard to get past their marketing though.

It’s still early in the morning. You feel the first warming rays of the sun on your skin, while she appears on the horizon. Dew fills the racetrack with a mysterious glow. Test engineers remove the cloth of their creation. The silhouette of their statement cuts through the fog. Razor sharp. Ready to surprise everyone, to exceed his or her expectations. A moment of absolute silence. The world stands still, just for a brief moment. You can feel your heart beating. You’ve been living up to this moment. A loud roar brings you back to reality and it never looked and felt so good. You are right on track with the RI-100 Integrated Amplifier.

.sjb

Duckworp,

I appreciate posts such as these, comprehensive yet having a certain succinctness to the underlying message. The more I read the more I observe on the familiar pattern or sound characteristics of these amplifiers. Although the system, equipment or loudspeakers may vary across the board, it’s the consistent impressions or experiences that people have which matter.

I can somehow relate to some of the impressions particularly the Luxman and Naim comparison. Although I do not have experience with the Luxman, I get the same impressions when the Luxman C700U/M-700U separates are substituted with the Quad 66/606 or Rega Elicit Mk2 integrated. The Naim amps in my case are NAC 282 and NAP 250DR instead of NAC 552 and NAP 300.

Luxman vs Naim

Smooth, velvety, big, lush, soft, lacking in detail and excitement come to mind. There is a softening of leading edges that has led to the reduction in detail and excitement, a smoothening effect to the sound. That’s the same experience I had when the Naim was compared to some of these smooth sounding mainstream amps especially the vintage Quad 606/600 and matching CD player. The same can be said with other amps such as the Rega (Elicit Mk2) or other common mainstream amps. Just a smooth and non-offensive sound as most have put it but lacking in detail, verve and excitement to me.

Vitus vs Naim

The Vitus and Naim comparison is surely interesting. I am aware that the Vitus is a special amp after a friend recommended it many years ago given its pedigree. The Vitus surely belongs within the realm of high-end – exemplary quality and build with a befitting price tag. The Vitus RI-100 is an integrated amp that weighs a whopping 88 lbs (40 kilogrammes) which surely tells you something. Most common mainstream integrated amps weigh below 10 kg with few premium ones touching 15 kg. The Vitus is 3 times heavier than most common amps out there.

More organic presentation, sweeter treble, less forward sound and more transparent midrange. As mentioned earlier, these descriptions are rather consistent when folks compare the Naim with other alternatives. The Vitus may have stood out by not sacrificing detail or excitement when delivering those positive traits that you cited. Most amps may have a sweeter treble and sound smoother and more organic in comparison to the Naim but in turn lacks excitement and detail apart from showing a certain dullness to the overall presentation.

Perhaps try the Teddy integrated or pre/power options and compare them with your Naim NAC 552 / NAP 300 as the description of the Vitus RI-100 is quite similar to the Teddy gear.

Devialet vs. Naim

No comment on this one as I don’t really dig the looks of the Devialet but understand that there are few folks who prefer the sound of the Devialet.

My own conclusion as follows.

I share the same sentiment on the Naim “house sound”. Although your NAC 552 / NAP 300 are different from my NAC 282 / NAP 250DR, I can relate to the remarks on the forwardness or excitement of the Naim. It’s certainly a signature of the Naim sound and I acknowledge the fact that the Naim may not sound as natural, organic or lush when compared to other amplifiers in the market, but I like the forwardness of the Naim in the context of my system. So far it works well for me. The Teddy power supply brought an organic quality to the presentation when it’s connected to the NAC 282 in tandem with the Hicap DR. A slight softening to the sound but not overly done at the expense of robbing excitement from the system.

The match between amplifiers and loudspeakers may be a crucial factor apart from listening preferences. I note that you are using B&W 804 Diamond speakers. The forwardness of the 804 Diamond may be amplified by the 552/300 when the Vitus sounds more at home with the B&Ws. In my case, the Harbeth Super HL5 Plus are inherently smooth sounding speakers and may benefit from the forwardness or excitement of the Naim. Some folks regard the Harbeth as dull and flat-sounding “sleepy speakers” with people falling asleep when in the midst of a listening session. The immediacy and forwardness of the Naim may be useful here although there are some who still prefer smoother sounding amps with the Harbeth.

Lastly, I used to own large and heavy power amplifiers, one being the Plinius SA-100 MkIII. Although the amp comes with handles on the front panel (which prove to be almost mandatory to me) it is still quite a chore to lift the whole thing up. I just checked and the Vitus RI-100 integrated is actually heavier than the Plinius amp, and it does not come with handles on the front or rear panel. I wonder how do people carry or handle the amp.

These days, large and heavy amps are out of question to me although they may sound stellar. It’s just something that’s personal.

So between Vitus and Naim there is no contest for me, and with the new price being £27k Naim v £10k Vitus the Naim makes no sense to me.

This is a pertinent point. At £27k the Naim NAC 552 / NAP 300 do have serious competition. I may be biased but my opinion is a NAC 282 (or 272) based system is the best value in the Naim range, to have a slice of the "high-end" Naim sound at a significantly down-to-earth price. Having said that I understand there are folks who find the 552 to represent the best value, sound for pound.

Lifting Vitus requires care. It also benefits by remembering to bend the knees before lifting and staggering into position.

Rather good amp I say.

A very interesting write-up, thank you. Although I own none of the products mentioned, I did attend a similar demonstration with a friend, using the same Vitus and Naim equipment. You have described the differences very well, and my pal was very taken with the Vitus for the same reasons you were. Me, I was also impressed with the Vitus, but after a while found it just too lacking in the life that was present in the Naim amplifier combination. When discussing our feelings afterwards, I'm afraid I succeeded in putting my friend off the Vitus! A bit unfair of me, but then like all hi-fi equipment at this level it comes down to a matter of taste, and if what you prefer happens to be more expensive, then you tend to stump up the extra.

Almost surprised by the lack of comments about blind listening.
Makes a change for them to be so restrained.

Either way, great write up, my thanks for sharing.

I did an almost exact comparison, NAIM v VITUS v DEVIALET plus CHORD DAVE

Vitus was the same RI-100 with its own DAC, I just got tired of the NAIM sound in the end, brow beaten into submission :) I am into my Rock/Metal so NAIM just tired me out (NDS system)

I really liked the Vitus, nearly bought this. Very heavy amp, vocal sound staging was fantastic. There is a very long thread here where we discussed the testing a few months ago.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/focal-sopra-2-amplification-or-all-in-one.202018/page-8

My initial Vitus thoughts back then :

Just had first initial running of Vitus with DAC board.

Perhaps the main differences here are the presentation and what this amp is doing that NAIM does or doesn't.

I did notice an uplift in performance overall when I moved the NAIM and Focals to the other end of the room, better than before but not a massive change.

I then plugged in Tellurium Black speaker cable to NAIM and noticed a different presentation certainly, bit more bass control, slightly more rounded as such, but a shift rather than a real change.

Then I plugged in the Vitus with USB DAC.

The new presentation and delivery felt so much different as to feel too much initially, so I think I will need a few days to really get into the sound.

But initially far more in the mids being dug out, highs are more prominent but not too harsh (SL was very harsh initially), bass joins in just right and so far I can equate to the initial thoughts when a tried Super Lumina, just too much going on, but in a much different way.

There is a lot more being presented to the listener, vocals are more rounded and slightly warmer, sound staging is so different.

Lots really going on so will need these few days to settle into it.

First thoughts are : it is so different to what I am used to that I need to really sit down and evaluate, but I am really hearing much much more than I did before. It is all being played back though in such a different manner that it needs understanding, for me.

Piano keys sound so close now, vocals staged more fluidly for me. Do I like what I am hearing? Foot is tapping but just this last overnight and today hearing I'm just getting used to how much more is there.

Real test is when I settle into what the Vitus does then plug the 272/250DR back in.

So far so very interesting ......

Vitus thoughts later on in the same thread :

Blooming work getting in the way.

Initially the delivery was so different and quite startling that I needed a day or two to register all the extra layers I was hearing.

NAIM for me is very punchy, on the front foot all the time, almost feels like the playback is faster too like 34 1/3rpm, just a little but more in your face.

Vitus does feel more natural. Bass is there in abundance but a different bass than NAIM delivers, full but more involved with everything else.
More mids are there, guitar strings sound as if the guitar is in the room with you, Pinball Wizard, The Chain, Hotel California opening guitar sound extremely live and vibrant, Pinball Wizard sounds excellent here.

Rough early take aways are more of the mid-range and higher frequencies, more fluid and joined up, better control I would say, more natural and live sounding to me so far.

Again so different as to be like adding Super Lumina and HCDR to a system (more layers, better highs and mids) but without the NAIM punch and drive, more natural and delivered in a more relaxed fashion.

More listening this weekend, it does feel like I am listening to the music all over again, like new recordings. Just need to live with it more now to see if I actually do prefer this more revealing and natural presentation. So far yes and hope it all becomes easier to live with as NAIM was getting to be tiring to listen to all the time I was finding.

USB DAC cable is Entreq and speaker cable is Tellurium black, so how this would sound with Ultra Black who knows?

Interesting review. I don’t know the Vitus at all, but I like what I’ve heard from Luxman a lot - they’d certainly be on my audition list if I had any interest in current audio. As a matter of interest was the Devialet tried with SAM turned off? On paper it sounds like really interesting and radical technology, but it appears less than that in reality with many users preferring it off or dramatically reduced in level to a few percent (I have no opinion as I’ve never heard it on or off!).

Interesting review. I don’t know the Vitus at all, but I like what I’ve heard from Luxman a lot - they’d certainly be on my audition list if I had any interest in current audio. As a matter of interest was the Devialet tried with SAM turned off? On paper it sounds like really interesting and radical technology, but it appears less than that in reality with many users preferring it off or dramatically reduced in level to a few percent (I have no opinion as I’ve never heard it on or off!).

Just quickly adding while online now, while original OPs response comes along later :
For my room acoustics I have SAM on and at full (Sopra No2), but my room is quite poor acoustically for bass playback and I need the extra, others may vary. I do not use the bass or treble on the Devialet so as to not colour the playback too much. This works for me.

No SAM here as Neat MF7's are not SAM ready.
Disappointing as the mobile SAM lab malfunctioned on its visit to K hq

Sam at 100% sounds horrible in the 15 or so systems I have heard it on..off or at max 15% is a lot better and only used at lower volumes

Sam at 100% sounds horrible in the 15 or so systems I have heard it on..off or at max 15% is a lot better and only used at lower volumes
When you say horrible can you elaborate? I'm keen to get my room right, its an ongoing issue (bass traps etc, measurement software and so on) but SAM on full gives me much better bass replay, so keen to know what you think so I can review what I am doing a little more.
My Devialet has just come back from the CI upgrade and the difference between USB cable and Ethernet is also something I am hearing. Thanks,

This is a pertinent point. At £27k the Naim NAC 552 / NAP 300 do have serious competition. I may be biased but my opinion is a NAC 282 (or 272) based system is the best value in the Naim range, to have a slice of the "high-end" Naim sound at a significantly down-to-earth price.

Fwiw, and of course I'd not say anything different, a 282 is vastly overpriced from an SQ point of view. If you add prestige, overall product quality and long term support and its ability to retain value, then maybe its price can be justified. I abandoned naim some time ago.

I owned one once and liked it, but to get the best out of it required a supercap! For most people that's a lot of green. You can get much better sound for less.

I had a serious soft spot for Vitus gear, but went a different route.
If you think the Vitus integrated is good wait till you hear their high-end amps. Mucho cash though.

<moderating>

This is an interesting and well-writen thread, as such I’ve removed the usual cyclic thread-craps from a dealer selling their ideology. We have a trade area for that.

advertisement

Back