advertisement

A&R A60

It's not a fill list of serial numbers but this might be useful as a guide to dates of manufacture

Here we go:

Issue 1: 0001 to 3980 before March 1982
the schematics then jumped to
Issue 5: 3981 to 13249 March 1982
Issue 6: 13250 to 19999 July 1982
Issue 7: 20000 to 25501 August 1983
Issue 8: 25502 onwards November 1985

I agrre with Robert about the caps in the photo - they are the same as I have have recently removed from a 1985 A60

It's not a fill list of serial numbers but this might be useful as a guide to dates of manufacture

Here we go:

Issue 1: 0001 to 3980 before March 1982
the schematics then jumped to
Issue 5: 3981 to 13249 March 1982
Issue 6: 13250 to 19999 July 1982
Issue 7: 20000 to 25501 August 1983
Issue 8: 25502 onwards November 1985

I agrre with Robert about the caps in the photo - they are the same as I have have recently removed from a 1985 A60

Wow, that's fast I wonder if it can be stored somewhere for everyone interested to reference.

Yes those caps look the same as in my 1986 model.

Chaps

Slight hijack, but was there ever an A60 that still had the Din connection for phono but had opamps and not the discrete phono stage?

Early 80s perhaps?

Chrs
Rob

Chaps

Slight hijack, but was there ever an A60 that still had the Din connection for phono but had opamps and not the discrete phono stage?

Early 80s perhaps?

Chrs
Rob

Yes, I think most were like this. The bottom one in my pic of three is like that.

Here is the pic again:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3514/3843613334_6f0d5a1733_b.jpg

Incidentally, in that lower one the IC's are in sockets, so easy to upgrade. The later A60 (think it's a A60+) top one, has IC's but they are soldered in.

I'd like to say "thanks" to Operajulian for posting those numbers, and another "thanks" to Radfordman for the excellent pics showing the differences between models.
Excellent stuff. ;)

... if I can ask, what's an A60E then?

I think it was just one of the standard revisions. A some point they thought it had undergone enough changes to be renamed A60E. I don't recall it signaling any radical redesign. I think some carbon resistors changed to metal films at some point - might have been that.

I think it was just one of the standard revisions. A some point they thought it had undergone enough changes to be renamed A60E. I don't recall it signaling any radical redesign. I think some carbon resistors changed to metal films at some point - might have been that.

Yes, but my very early A60 (Issue 1) has A60E on the serial number, its the one with discrete components in the phono stage and mag. pu button.

The reason I asked, is that does it make any difference to the numbering system as posted earlier by Operajulian?
There is one on eBay at the moment and it's number appears to be A60E1913
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120462759063&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_924
So where would that put it in the timeline?
It certainly looks like an early one, but the seller's comments re: the H/P socket are a bit confusing, as I thought the later sockets were PCB mount and without the nut.

I have a feeling it may stand for European or Export Model.
Possibly more taps available on the transformer for different voltages.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This must be a very early one, even earlier than my early one (33XX)

It has the mag p.u. button, so probably has the discrete phono section.

There is another indication that it is early, although not a good photo, one can see that the left wooden end cover is not at 90 degrees to the top. My early one is like that as well!

Just noticed that one on e bay says 2X 30W on the back, so does my early one, my two later ones don't have that.

It is possible (and likely) that the first few A60s were destined only for UK use, so may not have had any tappings on the transformer for different mains voltages.

So perhaps the A60E was the European model with adjustable tappings for other voltages.

Later, perhaps all models were made like this, so the E dropped.

Only a theory.

This begs another question (it never stops). Some years ago there was a reclassification of mains voltage in the UK.

In this house it meant that the mains voltage is nearer to 230V that the old 240 V.

If anyone else has had this, Power amps without stabilization may well suffer rail voltage drops that may affect output stage quiescent current, if the voltage selector has not been reset (if it's got one).

I suspect that many on here have read this one already, however, I thought it worth linking to in this A60 appreciation thread, as it comes across as one of the more well written of Hi-Fi World's short feature articles...

Arcam History

Craig

Hi
I've just got a A60+ (Ser 28440) - is very tidy inside, and plays nice - no noise from the pots at all! (My Creek 4040 which I bought when they first came out developed noise on the volume control after 18 months - but it's still running well for a friend).
The case is black and I'm wondering whats the best option - sand down to the existing veneer or just re-veneer - if anyone has comments/experience of either I'd be interested.
Also need to find a pair of screws to fasten the lid on - ? size if anyone knows.
Cable clamp where it exits the case is broken so will try Rapid for a replacement.
Hoping to get a T21 in the next week or two and then my classic 70's system just needs speakers - wish I still had my Omar Gorings....

advertisement

Back