advertisement

A&R A60

I have more questions:

If I wanted to use the A60 as a pre amplifier for some other amp (perhaps Quad 303), what is a good way to do this?

Also there seems to be a feed from the tape out Din socket through resistors to the Aux socket, what is this for?

Thanks

The A60 is better than the 303 imo :)

It really is very good indeed for its modest size.

Hi Trancera, quite possibly.

I have three A60's and four 303's. I recently replaced the electrolytic capacitors in one of my 303's (not that they were that bad) and was not prepared for the improvement in sound. I would find it difficult to say that one was better than the other.

However, driving the ESL57 the 303 may be the safer option. However, the Quad 33 and 44 preamps (standard) are I think a limiting factor. So Driving the 303 from the preamp of the A60 may be a good idea.

I certainly prefer the re-capped 303 to my 404-2 with Burr Brown Op amps.

Its' all good fun though!

I have more questions:

If I wanted to use the A60 as a pre amplifier for some other amp (perhaps Quad 303), what is a good way to do this?

Also there seems to be a feed from the tape out Din socket through resistors to the Aux socket, what is this for?

Thanks

See if you can find the A60 AP version schematics on the net, one of the din sockets is a pre-out;power-in interface, the amp comes with a special shorting plug to run as a normal integrated, but can be used with a cross over/2nd power amp (SA60X) for bi-amping. If you can't find any schematics, I'll see if I can take a decent image of my amps circuit board. Just checked the appendix to my A60 manual and there was an option to upgrade standard A60s to AP spec by installing a buffer board.

The connection between the tape output and the Aux socket is the "Aux out" facility which is a reduced output signal from the high level tape out; this facility is lost when converting to AP spec.

Hope this helps

See if you can find the A60 A/P version schematics on the net, one of the din sockets is a pre-out;power-in interface, the amp comes with a special shorting plug to run as a normal integrated, but can be used with a cross over and 2nd power amp for bi-amping. If you can't find any schematics, I'll see if I can take a decent image of my amps circuit board.

Hope this helps

Hi Analog addict, thanks, now I remember the A60 A/P, will have a look on the internet for the diagrams for that. Thanks for the offer of a photo.
I suppose trying to find a A60/AP would be difficult.

Bought an A60 ment to a second system (which it still is) from a forum member this spring. I had not expected that it is a so good and well balanced amplifer. It is right now doing the job between a Cambridge 840c and a pair of SBL. It sounds much better than just ok - fairly detailed too. I have a 85 model and have no idea whether it is serviced or not.

Hi Analog addict, thanks, now I remember the A60 A/P, will have a look on the internet for the diagrams for that. Thanks for the offer of a photo.
I suppose trying to find a A60/AP would be difficult.
Not at all, there's one about ten feet from where I'm typing!!!!!!

Here is a pic of my three A60's.

The one on top is a 1986 produced unit. It has a funny sort of crackle finish Knobs. The pots are centre detent potentiometers, it has phono sockets for the disc input. The chassis is a lighter gauge metal than that of earlier ones. The middle one is early production. It was a black painted cabinet, I removed the paint and varnished it. The pot knobs are not quite as deep at the later ones.

I also re varnished the other two cabinets.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3514/3843613334_6f0d5a1733_b.jpg

Just noticed that flash caught the cabinets they are not really two tone!

This is inside the 1986 model:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2614/3842825115_c36b8976c0_b.jpg

Good collection. It is surprising what a good re cap can do. Electrolytics have come on a long way and are much improved from original specs in many cases. Also does not surprise me that you may prefer a 303 being pre current dump.

Slightly OT but still with the theme. Is it possible to get a dedicated CD phono plugged input on this amp?

Slightly OT but still with the theme. Is it possible to get a dedicated CD phono plugged input on this amp?

Maybe you saw the A60 on top in my pic, this has a CD button. I assume that the sensitivity of the CD input (although Din socket) is suitable for most CD's. If one wants phono sockets, either use an adaptor or drill the back panel to suit Phono sockets, or hardwire in-line phono sockets to the Din socket pins inside the amp.

Hi,

Serviced or not? Someone who can see it in the image? Sorry for my ignorance.

a-60.jpg

If you don't use the phono stage, you can bypass it easily giving you another line input, but if you want phono sockets, better get a later one so equipped.

It's clearly one of the later models - if it is made in 1985 - then it is a series 8 version.

The components look pretty much as they should be for this age of amplifier.
I don't think there are any upgrades / mods / re-caps in this picture.
Robert's suggested upgrades in teh refrence section are worth doing - even for one as recent as yours.

Happy Listening.

- Julian

If you don't use the phono stage, you can bypass it easily giving you another line input, but if you want phono sockets, better get a later one so equipped.

I'd say not, the indicators:
  • The old style preamp regulaotrs
  • None of the ceramics replaced
  • The slightly yellowed straps holding the mail caps

Seconded - those little orange and blue electrolytics look the same as the ones I replaced.
Not sure about the main caps as all of the A60s I've seen had larger cans.

How about producing an A60 data base of serial number and date of manufacture?

Possibly listing changes in production as well.

I think that of my three A60 only one has a legible date of manufacture.

advertisement

Back