A&R A60 or NAD 3130, which for best sound quality

• A&R A60

Votes: 50 87.7%
  • NAD 3130

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters

Radfordman

pfm Member
I interested to know which amp members prefer in terms of sound quality. I think that I have made my mind up.

I'm amusing that both amps are in good working order.

I should qualify my vote as I have a A60 and a 3020 and out of those two the A60 is the clear winner with me by some margin - the 3020 sounds wooly in comparison, darker in tone and with much less detail and clarity.

Was the 3130 a later development of 3020 (via the 3120)? Closer in original price?

I should qualify my vote as I have a A60 and a 3020 and out of those two the A60 is the clear winner with me by some margin - the 3020 sounds wooly in comparison, darker in tone and with much less detail and clarity.

Was the 3130 a later development of 3020 (via the 3120)? Closer in original price?

That is interesting, never owned the 3020, but wanted to try. The 3130 has more power than the 3030 and fully complementary output devices. I have three A60's and two 3130's

I've had both at various times over the years, although I don't think I've ever done a back to back comparison. The NAD 3130 is a fine amp, and certainly one of the best I've heard from NAD. It's a nice step forwards from the 3020 but still having its predecessors character and musical ability. I bought one new while at University. I chose it in preference to the also-demmed Arcam Alpha, Rotel somethingorother, and Mission/Cyrus shoebox. The system I came away with was a Manticore/LVX/Basik, NAD3130 and MA R252 speakers. All very pukka Steward/Frankland/Flat-earth maniac recommended kit. And I have to admit, it was lovely. It sang sweetly and kept me awake until all hours devouring all the vinyl my overdraft could stretch to. I moved on to bigger and better things but I still have the speakers somewhere and the amp stayed for years as a stand-in or back-up. What rather shocked me was many years later, with a big an expensive Class A amp that managed to fry itself just outside the warranty period having gone to be repaired (not for the last time either), I dug out the 3130 and was rather shocked to find that I actually preferred it to the big, hot useless lump. The latter didn't last long, although it did manage to fail again only weeks after it returned from a full rebuild. The 3130 stayed on and I only decided to let it go after a posting to the US. The bigger 3155 is similar but with more power. I still have a NAD 7155 receiver, which is effectively a 3155 with a 4155 tuner in the same box. It's a lovely old thing and still serves me well in the workshop. With NAD I think things took a turn for the worst after this series once the "power envelope" thing appeared. NAD amps lost something after that in my view.

As for the A60, there have been so many changes throughout its life that I'm sure an early unit vs. a late one would throw up some distinct differences. I had a beautiful minty early unit and loved it. I recently sold it on because I had just too many amps and I received an offer on it that I couldn't refuse. I also wanted a perfect Naim Nait 2, fully rebuilt by the factory, and that mean't selling off some spare stuff to fund the not-inconsiderable cost. Overall, going on memory, I'd say the A60 has it, and it would be my choice based purely on sonic performance.

Of course, these days a good well-sorted A60 will cost you quite a bit more than a NAD 3130. For under £50 I'd say take a good 3130 over a ropey A60. But if you have £100 to spend then get the best A60 you can find.

postscript: But then I see you already have both, and not just one of each either! So, which did you go for, and did you listen to all of them or just pick a sample? Was there much difference between the same model but different example?

postscript: But then I see you already have both, and not just one of each either! So, which did you go for, and did you listen to all of them or just pick a sample? Was there much difference between the same model but different example?

He he!

Very interesting, I will give my thoughts a little later on. I want to get a feel of what other people have found.

My early A60 is the discrete component one, a middle production one, and a very late one. They are all in good order and sound very similar. However, the late one may have a bit more attack.

The two 3130's have been serviced recently and are quite similar in sound too.

Yup, a working Nytech is a fine thing indeed. Possibly even better than an A60 when in good health. Trouble is, so many are knackered or bodged to death.

A couple of years back I managed to snag what I thought would be a real gem; a mint and boxed one-owner CTA252XDII. It did look fantastic, and could have been fresh from the dealer. Only trouble was it sounded dire. Opening it up (not straightforward but you start to get the knack), I found it was totally bodgetastic. Someone had changed one of the big caps in the PSU and also the big cap in one of the amp boards. Trouble was, they'd not only used the incorrect caps, they'd mucked up the wiring and the soldering "quality" was marginal at best. The original owner feigned ignorance but muttered that someone had "looked it over" some years earlier after a problem. So, now it sits interred in its box, looking outwardly mighty fine but rotten at the core. I have bought new caps but find the space is so tight that even the ones you think should fit, won't. There's not much slack left on the tranny wires so I'll need to be really careful when re-soldering. Basically, it's a tough job waiting to be done and I haven't got the time (or the heart) at the moment.

The really bad news is that I've seen worse. Much worse. They're cheap to buy these days for a reason, so caveat emptor. Then again, if you can find one that's not just a minter but also has been properly repaired/serviced then that would be worth quite a premium for the performance on offer.

Never heard a 3130 but a a60 was a lot better than a 3020 imo.
Although more than twice the price it is a far better amp.

To the poll question, I've never tried them both back to back.
I'd expect little difference though, perhaps with the NAD pulling ahead at higher volumes or with more difficult loads,

Loved the functionality of the 3130; MM and MC phono options, mono button, bass Eq, loudness etc. My first hi-fi amp. I reckon an A60 would stuff it for sound quality though.

I HAVE had the A60 next to both the NAD3020 and the Nytech 252XD. There really wasn't too much between the A60 and the 3020...the latter from what I recall was a little more coarse and smudgy sounding, but still was very capable of producing some very engaging sound.

The 252XD however was noticeably better than the A60, having much more dynamic contrast and a very well grounded performance. But it was almost twice the price of the A60- but did include a cracking tuner.

One day for fun we split the pre and power sections of the 3020 and found that the pre section of the 3020 was its weak spot, playing into the power section of the 252 (I think).

I believe this was done by pulling out the U-connector link in the Lab pre/power setting. Of course this was circa 1981 and the details are a little fuzzy now.

It's good that, isn't it? You did, of course, have the input selector on the back set to Lab when assessing its preamp, didn't you?

The U-link joins pre-out to main in, so you could also have assessed the NAD power stage on its own if you used a different preamp. They have pretty good power stages.

The Norm/Lab switch chooses whether or not the preamp stage has bandwidth limiting filters applied (regardless of the chosen input). Lab(oratory) is unfiltered and correct for high fidelity use. Norm(al) applies subsonic/rumble and high frequency filters, intended to help with inferior sources. A lot of people never realised what the 3020 was capable of as they didn't set it to Lab...

advertisement

Back