advertisement

A question for ALW

Ian,

Just tuned in - some bloke rambling about laptops at the moment but I'll keep tuned.

Ah and get this......

the tuning lock releases as your hand moves toward the tuning knob and then the lock grabs the station when your fingers lose contact with the dial :)

Rob.

Handling precautions of the touch tuning system
'If the tuning knob is adjusted while wearing gloves the FM Locked indicator may not go out. This is because the hand is insulated from the knob. In such a case, remove the glove, and readjust.'

I'll get this copied for you eventually...

Paul

Thanks for that Paul.

Having your hand within a couple of inches of the tuning knob does the trick - you don't even have to touch it. The wonders of '70s technology.

Next week I'll strip her down and give her a good clean- something I'm going to enjoy as peeking through the the case vents shows some very impressive internals.

If you can get your 9800 working you'll get one hell of a surprise when you listen to it.

Rob.

Robert

Glad it is doing the job :D

You've got 2 nice systems there and I really enjoyed the brief exposure to the Impulses. They and the Cyrus kit made for enjoyable sounding music.

While giving the Pioneer tuner a clean the other day I spotted a little three position switch on the back labelled FM de-emphasis.
Each position alters the HF response of the tuner - like a HF tone control.

Any ideas what the correct setting is for the UK?

Oh, and here are some pics of the of the internals - look at that tuning capacitor :)

Rob.

eba00394891f00000042.jpg

eba00394891f00000043.jpg

Thanks Andy,

50us is what I've been using for best results. Nice to know I'm not completely deaf yet :)

The options are 20, 50 and 75us.

Nice to have the options. Using the 20us setting can sometimes inject some sparke into the local pirate stations.

Rob.

I think 75uS is US standard. I also think you don't have a UK spec tuner.

The 20uS is for use with Dolby encoded broadcasts when using a separate decoder.

Paul

Hi Paul,

'I also think you don't have a UK spec tuner.'

Why not and is that a bad thing?

Cheers,

Rob.

The S and S/G models have a captive mains lead, de-emphasis selection switch on the rear, and possibly wood finish sides. The HG model has an IEC mains inlet, black sides, and no de-emphasis switch. It is implied that the 75Ohm aerial connection on the S S/G is by a screw terminal and on the HG a standard coaxial plug.

Clear as mud...

AFAICT the tuner internals are exactly similar. I must get the scanner working again.

Paul

Ah, yes - clear as mud !

As I said in an earlier post, I'm glad the switch is there as it comes in handy for perking up a few local pirate stations which can sound a bit muddy.

Sounds like I have the US version. The matching Pioneer amp also came from the States. Shame the tuner didn't have the wooden case - oh well.

Sounds glorious though and I can't imagine FM sounding much better than this. Utterly silent backgrounds the like of which even advanced chip based modern designs have never achieved.
The amp also has vanishingly low noise on the phono inputs. The MM input is a quiet as the line inputs on my Cyrus 3! - have you ever seen a MM input with a S/N ratio of 90db?

By the way, if the tuner manual is anything like the amp manual it should be a real hoot. They really did care about spec chasing in those days.

Rob.

advertisement

Back