advertisement

A portable radio thread

921bac860a43f42b0298193490850d80cd151040.jpeg

Old and new in perfect harmony!:)

I have to admit that I don't quite understand what I'm looking at. I recognize the parts, but... a hint please, for those of us less hip to the modern ways?
Don’t take it too seriously. I have had the Sony for years and decided to hook it up with the Dragonfly and the HD700 for s laugh and in the end decided to leave the Sony well alone. You can’t improve on perfection!

Radio into audioquest dac into sennheiser hd800 headphones
Yep, those are the parts I recognized. Just wasn't sure what was happening at the USB end of the Dragonfly, or how it was being powered. I have no experience with that particular device.

No matter really, just curious.

Yep, those are the parts I recognized. Just wasn't sure what was happening at the USB end of the Dragonfly, or how it was being powered. I have no experience with that particular device.

No matter really, just curious.
Well, you can’t power it. It was just a light hearted tongue-in-cheek post. Apologies to @Tony L for disrupting his post.

My new portable source: the AM-only Panasonic "Panapet", developed for Expo '70 in Osaka. Missing its chain "leash" but otherwise looks and plays like new. About the size of a small grapefruit; uses a 9V battery and has a mono earplug jack as well as the built-in speaker. I listened to a baseball game on it on Saturday afternoon, and all was right with the world for awhile.
IMG-4751.jpg

Edit: Found an original ad for it.
IMG-4752.jpg

That is very cool! Oh dear, I want one too now...

I have a Roberts R606-MB.

There is an issue with it.

Hum can be heard from within the unit. I can even hear it almost 1ft away. I haven't tried batteries, only mains.

The sound is lovely and I enjoy the tone. Listening to talk stations is a peach. Puts many radios to shame!

Can someone of this parish check it over for me? Happy to pay for the work/service.

I'm based in Neath, Wales. Posting is not an issue though.

Thanks.

S.

Try batteries as that gets the main PSU capacitor out of the picture. If the hum goes you likely have one or two capacitors to replace.

PS Running on batteries is no issue, the big square ones last ages, years in my case.

I've a Roberts Classic 928, mainly use it in the kitchen. Bought it off a market stall for £7. I was camping at the time so bought it for just that.

My parents had a Roberts many eons ago.
I sold most of the Sonys and Grundig Yachtboys mentioned thus far and had, presumably, the predecessor to red sphere Pansonic up thread....

s-l400.jpg

I have Freeplay wind-up/solar radio lurking somewhere, in transparent blue.

Hiding in a bedside drawer is a Sansa Fuze+, no-speaker design though, just headphones.

How about using 5x 9v batteries just so you can use it occasionally? It looks like there's be just about enough room.
Good idea. I'm led to understand the tubes drain the battery in an hour-ish, but I'd still like to hear it, even just once.

The old Robert’s radios were something to covet when I was a lad. Now I have a Sonos Roam as my mobile of choice & it’s great, love the way it adapts to where you place it. Radio Paradise sounds absolutely great & endless options for podcasts etc on BBC Sounds.

I’ll have a look at that. There are several superb YouTube radio restoration channels. A couple of favourites I’ll plug here are:

Electronics Old & New with M Caldeira. He really likes vintage European stuff; Braun, Grundig, Saba, Philips.

Dave Tipton in Australia is excellent, really skilled at cabinet repair etc.

Shango066 is mainly a valve & CRT TV restorer, but he does seem to really like 60s transistor radios, especially little Russian ones for some reason.

All are a really good way to gradually pick up a little electronic theory and many tips and tricks. The stuff they can get to work again is impressive. Shango066 often being on the crazy side of impressive, some of his more extreme basket-case TV resurrections are very funny/potentially explosive.

About 20 years ago, I went on holiday to Gran Canaria (mate + wife had a pool bar in Puerto Rico). I had forgotten to bring my Walkman so my mate took me to a wee electrical/electronic store. He said that I’d get a good deal as he knew the guy. Guy brings out this Sanyo, looking much shinier and sparkling than it does now. Ah said , “Don’t want an expensive one, it’s really just for 2 weeks”.

Guy said “4 euros”, ah said “Done”.
Had it since then, travelled with it everywhere in Europe. It’s now in ma bathroom, for listening tae football on Saturdays or R3,(in the bath)
It’s still sharp and clear.

71-D4-A1-DF-6-D5-A-4377-BA2-F-2-A39-E80-D8124.jpg

advertisement

Back