advertisement

A PL-71 equivalent?

Mid/late 70s I was after a PL 12D, Laskeys had the Rotel on special offer making it a tenner cheaper than the Pioneer and the salesman assured me it was tons better so i bought it, I mean he wouldn't lie just to make a sale, would he? Worst piece of kit I've ever bought, total crap, no that's an insult to crap, calling it hi-fi should have been an offence under the Trade Description Act:mad:
Laskeys went bust not long after:p

OTOH where does this sit in the Pioneer gene pool?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Technics SL1300/1400/1500/1600/1700/1800 mark one or two. Built solidly, arms pretty good for mid priced cartridges of today and the drive isn't far different to the current model. many of the current tweaks like mats and external power supplies can be done as well, although the cueing lifts on the mk2 series can fail and I don't think they're repairable at the moment. Like all decks of this era, positioning is important and sorbothane style "boots" seem to pretty good idea, although the 16/17/1800 series had a sprung sub-chassis, giving superior isolation as I remember.

I can't remember which motor the Rotel used, but I think it was a Matsushita varient and it just depends on whether the drive over-shoots or not. I think the RP3000 was ok, just needing careful siting to perform ok. It was a pretty heavy machine IIRC.

advertisement

Back