A pile of Mana - auction end 08th January

Jonathan Ribee

Unavailable at present
  • The final post moving year end charity auction by JR
  • 11 Mana soundstages (boards) - the size that goes under the racks
  • (or under large 'speakers)
  • 1 reference top (glass)
  • All the Mana spikes, nuts etc you could ever need

Were you to be the highest bidder, the donation to Cliff Patterson heart foundation thing that is a sticky above this thread please.

IMG 0176 par Jonathan Ribee, on ipernity

• Posting an unlikely and highly expensive solution
  • Collection from Manchester M5
  • Could drive and meet someone half-way maybe - as long as not Penzance or Thurso
  • If you have a question - PM me or ask here

IMG 0177 par Jonathan Ribee, on ipernity

Hi Jomathan

A kind gesture indeed. Are you only interested in selling all 11 together? Are they 11 frames, 11 boards and one glass top? How much does one frame and board weigh and I can judge whether a relative of mine could collect using public transport and a trolley ��. He's in London

Cheers, ex b

Ex-B

I'd like to try and get rid of the lot in one go, but the two key critical success factors are raise cash for charity and have less things to trip over. So if we get to next weekend and there are no other bidders I might split.

There are 11 soundstage frames, 11 soundstage boards, one reference top frame and one reference top sized glass shelf.

Weighing, right... ...OK, with some digital bathroom scales and careful balancing...

Soundstage frame 2.3 Kg
Soundstage board 3.3 Kg
Reference frame 2.9 Kg
Reference glass 4.2 Kg

Which would make the whole lot 68.7 Kilos. Plus packaging. +/- bathroom scales error.
(I forgot to weigh the two bags of nuts and bolts - probably a few extra kilos there)

The whole stack would actually only be about 60-70 cm "high" if balanced. So careful packaging might get it to around the 1m mark.

I'm sure we could package up this lot into five or six lumps, using bubble wrap and packing tape. These you could stack on a trolley, but be able to un-stack to stick (say) in a Pendolino luggage rack. Trolley type depending of course.

I am about a 5 minute walk (or 10 minute trolly pull) from Salford Quays tram stop. Which in itself is an 18 minute journey to Manchester Piccadilly station. All step free to the train platform.

[I'm not sure I could get two people, all that mana packaged and a trolley into my tiny car - but if I could we could this is an alternative possibility to get to the station. The trolley being the biggest variable. And it is actually likely to take longer than the tram!]

How happy Virgin would be and if you could plan a step free route to final destination in London is an exercise for the reader.

[Do Pendolinos have a luggage area? The old 125s did, I remember chaining someone naked in one during a stag night]

Anyway - I hope that helped.

Jonathan

It's hotting up. Which internet wi-fi cafe will get you the vital fewer milliseconds to get in that last gasp snipe? Will it be Jamie or Chilli? Can Penelope Pitstop wrest herself from the clutches of Dick Dastardly? Will Helen Archer ever fully recover? Can you imagine there are no people?

Tune in next week for the thrilling conclusion!

awesome idea, Jonathan.

I suggest you've omitted two key things from your auction description:

2: bragging rights for having a serious stack of mana
3: the mana friday forum fight glossary; how to win any discussion on hifi supports.

Good luck with your charity auction, and I note it is a very noble cause indeed. I should hope the PFM faithful will come through with a decent bid on this collection, and the ability to collect the kit from your gaff.

regards

Maybe it`s the mead, or maybe it`s because it`s a good cause / or both - I`m up to £200.

Ha!! and the doctors all said I was a nutter - Who`s sorry now, eh??

23:59:59

(You have just bid against yourself - technically. Not that the Heart Foundation is complaining at all!)

I really don't know what this stuff does, but if all else fails my greenhouse could do with some sound staging. I bid £250.

I`d hoped the greenhouse guy might have got it...

That's very kind of you! TBH I think I might have been able to use four of them under my ESL63/Gradients, but I wasn't certain if that was their intended use, whether they could be used side by side or indeed what the dimensions were. It didn't seem fair to bombard Jonathan with questions about something he was giving away and specific info was scarce on the internet, hence the rather uncommitted bid. I can take solace in the thought that I might have pushed the price up a few quid.

In addition much of what I read suggested this was in hard-core audiophile territory (ie it is perceived as either brilliant or rubbish, never in between) - in other words outside my area!!

:) Hi, was a bit tongue in cheek that as I had visions of a greenhouse with a Mana floor, and wondered if it might have resulted in a (singing)voice improvement while you pottered away!

Also meant to say to Claire.Fox - if you have too much Mana there now, I`d be interested in buying 2x soundstages and possibly the glass topped one if you wanted? Cheers CB13

:) Hi, was a bit tongue in cheek that as I had visions of a greenhouse with a Mana floor, and wondered if it might have resulted in a (singing)voice improvement while you pottered away!

I rather like the idea of being the greenhouse guy, so I've changed my details accordingly. Thanks!

As I said before, I also would have liked to try four, but a dozen seemed a bit excessive for someone who is generally sceptical about the benefits of such things. I guess if I had entrepreneurial tendencies I would have bought the lot and flogged most of them on, but that just seemed contrary to the spirit of Jonathan's gesture.

advertisement

Back