advertisement

A nice news story for once.

George J

Herefordshire member
Are we even allowed any good news among the unremitting gloom?

As half-Norwegian born in England, I find this annual event rather heart-warming, but also somewhat sadly drowned out by the general and real enough gloom, be it political or environmental.

So just please enjoy a few minutes of relief from the encircling gloom.

Best wishes from George

A tree donated by Norway as a thank you for Britain not abandoning them in their hour of need. How times change.

Sorry.

A tree donated by Norway as a thank you for Britain not abandoning them in their hour of need. How times change.

Don't see too many Christmas trees coming from France. As in 1940, we tried to stem the German tide in Norway (in a much smaller way) and failed. Did we abandon any country at that time?

You can rely on politicians to lower the tone and spoil the niceness of almost any situation. They are all cynical, including Norwegian ones. As far as I can tell from my family connections politicians in Norway are no more highly prized than they are in the UK.

The historical connection between the UK and Norway has existed strongly since Norway gained full independence and autonomy from Sweden before the First World War, but history is no longer thought of as important either in the UK or to some degree even in Norway.

Best wishes from George

You can rely on politicians to lower the tone and spoil the niceness of almost any situation. They are all cynical, including Norwegian ones. As far as I can tell from my family connections politicians in Norway are no more highly prized than they are in the UK.

The historical connection between the UK and Norway has existed strongly since Norway gained full independence and autonomy from Sweden before the First World War, but history is no longer thought of as important either in the UK or to some degree even in Norway.

Best wishes from George
It was heartwarming to hope that there might be a connection between the two countries.i never knew about the tree.

There is always enough reason to hope for a good future.

Are we even allowed any good news among the unremitting gloom?

As half-Norwegian born in England, I find this annual event rather heart-warming, but also somewhat sadly drowned out by the general and real enough gloom, be it political or environmental.

So just please enjoy a few minutes of relief from the encircling gloom.

Best wishes from George

Nice post, George. I was dismayed subsequently to learn of the churlish mean-spiritedness of a few who described it as a ‘turkey’ owing to its sparseness of foliage. Such people should remember that it’s a gift from one country to another and shut the f**k up.

Nice post, George. I was dismayed subsequently to learn of the churlish mean-spiritedness of a few who described it as a ‘turkey’ owing to its sparseness of foliage. Such people should remember that it’s a gift from one country to another and shut the f**k up.
I suspect that the mean-spirited people didn't even know the history of the tree in Trafalgar Square, and thought they were having a go at the London Mayor. Which is not to excuse them; they should know about these things, these are the sort of important ties that bind us to our European neighbours, and we shouldn't forget.

I saw it yesterday, does look a bit scraggy compared to previous years. Nevertheless it is a kind gift from the people of Norway.

It was heartwarming to hope that there might be a connection between the two countries.i never knew about the tree.

Didn't know about the British connection when Norway became independent (must look that up), but thought the tree was as a consequence of our involvement in the second w.w.

A future where the UK remains European.

We'll always be European by our geography and I believe that friendship/cooperation since 1945 will continue. We don't need to be tied to a grand yet questionable political idea for that to happen, though.

Ah, but we have never been "European".

If we haven't, we have certainly become so in part due to European immigration in recent decades.:)

Possibly not but there are lot more vineyards in England than there used to be.

But maybe not so many Christmas trees. I quite like pine in my wine (retsina) but it's an acquired taste :)

advertisement

Back