advertisement

A new line from PSAudio

dan m

pfm Member
I have been looking around for a new preamp with built in dac and balanced outputs for a while. Often the analog side is neglected or appears to be a convenience or maybe limited to just one input (e.g. Mytek Brooklyn/Benchmark). Not good, since I most like to listen to vinyl. Yesterday I came across a new pre from PSAudio:

http://www.psaudio.com/products/stellar-gain-cell-dac/

Gain-Cell-DAC-gallery1.png

Gain-Cell-DAC-rear-500.jpg

Ticks all the boxes for me feature-wise and coupled with a generous trade in program, I've ordered one as part of their beta tester program. They are locally made, so I dropped by the factory on ~2 hours notice and was given a fantastic tour. I must say they are a very friendly bunch and are really into what they are doing. The new line looks great. At this price point you often see boxes from stamped steel, but this is wrapped in brushed aluminum. I have ordered black. I hope it sounds as good as it looks.

Specs:

Class A balanced analog preamplifier
Full function DAC
Class A headphone output
Remote control
27 pounds
2 output 12 volt triggers
One balanced analog input
Three single ended analog inputs
Analog Gain Cell stage
Fully balanced input to output
Balanced XLR analog output
Single ended RCA analog output
Direct coupled without any capacitors in output signal path
Four digital inputs
I2S input
Digital Lens technology
Three user selectable digital filters
Compatible with PS Audio DMP for SACD playback in DSD
DSD direct through I2S
192kHz asynchronous coax and TOSLINK inputs
192kHz asynchronous USB
Single and double rate DSD
CPLD input (FPGA) lowers jitter, waveshapes, reduces propagation delay
Native mode standard
No added Sample Rate Conversion
High current class A hybrid output stage
Passive output filter lowers transient distortion
Direct coupled without any capacitors in output signal path
High bandwidth output stage -3dB 60kHz
Low jitter clocks
High Current oversized analog power supply
7 voltage regulators
High speed power supply diodes
Massive 15,000 mFd low ESR capacitors
ESS Hyperstream

BTW, there are mono and stereo class D amps to match.
M700-gallery-5.png

With this fancy DAC, I now better get a streamer sorted... might build a hifiberry.

Sounds EXPENSIVE
US residents get a great offer for trades - full original retail price of item up to a cap that varies with the item (post beta test I think its around $500 for this preamp). For me with trade in, it will be less than half the cost of the Mytek Brooklyn. It's pitched as the affordable line, but of course that's a relative term.

Hi Dan, that's a great deal. I have the PS memory player transport and have been looking for a deal on a Directstream DAC. Cheapest price ATM in UK is about £4K and that's for a grey import.

It appears to be really well built (from the empty case I saw) and avoids the recent trend to bling-fi. I am looking forward to trying it out in my system. The fact that I am supporting a local business is icing on the cake. It will feed my Ayre amp, which is also made in Boulder. I should be able to pick it up at the end of the month. Officially (post beta test) they will begin shipping in March. MSRP will be $1699, but you can trade in any piece against it for it's full original retail up to $510. So if you have an old component that you are not using with little s/h retail you could lower the price down to as little as $1189-.

Harry - how is that player? I may be looking for a used transport with I2S to take advantage of the DAC in this pre.

I'm a big fan of PS Audio and this new stuff is priced right.

I have their BHK Signature preamp and love it.

advertisement

Back