advertisement

"A new Britannia should rule the waves again"

That kind of tacky vulgar image may work for a man who built his reputation selling cheap plastic tat to idiots...

In defence of Lord Sugar, he also sold slightly less cheap metal tat too...

$_86.JPG

In defence of Lord Sugar, he also sold slightly less cheap metal tat too...

Still real tat. IIRC there was a matching pair of speakers that looked to have three drivers, but the mid was just decrative to give the impression of being a three way. Real pound-shop-grade crap trying to pretend it was quality Japanese kit. The only Amstrad product I'd like to have a close look at is the TP12d turntable, it kind of looked like a rip-off of the Rega Planet, which was an unlikely thing for Sugar to rip-off being an underground high-end product at the time. I'd like to know who built it for him.

I am amassed that some here think successful companies want to deal with failures or run of the mill rather than successful suppliers.

"look at da shiny shiny"

Some people are just born to be customers :)

They could well have a flash car because they are loaded with debt, in which case they are best avoided.

I don't think its a 'cultural attitude' ?? its how the real world works.

If the MD of a company comes to my office in an old banger it implies that his company is not very successful and hence doesn't do whatever it does very well or competitively, isn't a leader in its sector and won't be giving me top notch service or support.

It's either a cultural attitude, or it's instinct. Don't try to pass it off as cold logic. It's direct evidence only of being able to finance flashy stuff in some way, and wanting to. Beyond that, you're in status-symbol land.

Despite your broad and disdainful inferences, maybe the guy with the more modest car (who said an old banger?) just rejects flash as a waste. Despite this raising eyebrows in your culture, his engineering and operating values may be rock-solid. It might pay sometimes not to just go with your biases, but remember you're reacting to a symbol, and make sure the map matches the territory.*

*speaking of logic

That overhead had to be paid for, I just see a flash car as saying "the price offered will be too high", it might as well be written down the side.
Well, not sure I agree that a DB6 would have been an overhead over the last 20 years or so. But obviously an old boat isn't quite the same thing.

The only Amstrad product I'd like to have a close look at is the TP12d turntable, it kind of looked like a rip-off of the Rega Planet, which was an unlikely thing for Sugar to rip-off being an underground high-end product at the time. I'd like to know who built it for him.

I am reliably informed (by somebody who had one at the time) that it sounded shoite. Not sure whether it was dodgy speed control, crap arm, bearings, a naff cartridge, or the fact that the platter didn't fully support the record, but the end result was dire, apparently. No idea how it compared to the Rega in terms of sonics.

That would grace the suite of the President of the Board of Trade (another grating knob) onboard Britannia!

When HMY Britannia was first commissioned it was intended that she should be used as a hospital ship in times of war. If we are going to war against the rest of the EU because they won't allow us to leave, we should waste no time in recommissioning her!

That would grace the suite of the President of the Board of Trade (another grating knob) onboard Britannia!

:D Yeah. Dont think there are any blue alps pots in that. Is that four discoloured looking bolts for designer effect or are they keeping what seems like thin metal sheet wrap in place. Very fetching!

Its a tat bazaar

advertisement

Back