advertisement

A new amp from Mission.

Optional but there will be a plug-in module apparently.
Ah, I see that there is a spot marked out back for a ground terminal as well.
creek_4040a_rear__large_full.jpg

Will this be made in the UK?

Not sure but Creek made a big thing with their recent i20 amp that they were no longer manufacturing in China. The i20 is made in Eastern Europe.

I am still happy with my Chinese made Creek 50A and 50CD player / DAC. The old 50A was class AB and around 55 watts per channel.

The new 4040 is a new variant of Class D called Merus TM? The 4040 has 35 watts per channel (but includes a DAC and bluetooth). I wonder if there will be a matching CD transport?

Reactions: RoA
That amplifier is £4'500 though

Indeed it was £4500 - a mistake I thought at the time.

Creek had always catered for the budget / mid tier of Hi-Fi in the past.

I wonder if the new £800 Creek 4040 is a reaction to poor sales of the i20?

It seems to be a hotly contested, busy price category of the market. Probably where many manufacturers sell larger numbers, make small(er) profit per unit and good vfm for us.

Has any-one got one yet? I'm wondering what the remote looks like. And the inside for that matter...
If you download the user manual from here, there is a line drawing of the remote handset on pg 5.

Have to give IAG credit for being well able to continue instilling a sense of nostalgia with this one, and especially so via the retro 700 and 770 'speakers.

[Image credit: hxosplus dot gr]
mision-77773.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RoA
Has anyone picked up one these yet? It would be nice to read some real life opinions on this rather than the pre-written blurbs doing the rounds on the usual hi-fi sites.

I bought one last month along with Rega Planar 2, Elac B6.2's and a BNIB Denon DCD50 for a bargain price off the bay. Chord C-Line analogue interconnect + QED XT25 speaker cables. I've not ever had anything that sounds as good as this system. Even AAC over Bluetooth sounds great. It's very clean, spacious sound, with stunningly good mid-range, and decent bass from the 6.2's altogether very well-balanced I think. My friend has the Elac 5.2's with a Marantz 6007 and they don't have nearly such punchy bass. I love it. It sounds fantastic. Nout wrong with Chinese manufacture if the QA processes are in place. I speak as a UK designer at UK-based electronics company dealing with China-sourced product. Get it right and it's as good as anything made anywhere else in the world. And it can also be really bad but that is usually the case when the bean-counters insist on overly cost-engineering things. I'm assuming by using the analogue RCA interconnects with the Denon, that the active DAC is the Burr-Brown in the Denon, not the DAC in the 778X. I read that both offer pretty good performance, albeit with slightly different 'character'. I cannot compare with anything though - only what I read. I did think about the Audiolab 6000A too (same core amp design) but with tone/balance control. But where do you stop eh? I stuck to my budget in the end.

I'm assuming by using the analogue RCA interconnects with the Denon, that the active DAC is the Burr-Brown in the Denon, not the DAC in the 778X. I read that both offer pretty good performance, albeit with slightly different 'character'. I cannot compare with anything though - only what I read.
A quick look at the DCD50 manual indicates that it features an S/PDIF co-ax socket out back, as does the Mission. As such, you could use one side of your existing RCA leads to give the Mission a go at doing the digital conversion.

Last edited:
I bought one last month along with Rega Planar 2, Elac B6.2's and a BNIB Denon DCD50 for a bargain price off the bay. Chord C-Line analogue interconnect + QED XT25 speaker cables. I've not ever had anything that sounds as good as this system. Even AAC over Bluetooth sounds great. It's very clean, spacious sound, with stunningly good mid-range, and decent bass from the 6.2's altogether very well-balanced I think. My friend has the Elac 5.2's with a Marantz 6007 and they don't have nearly such punchy bass. I love it. It sounds fantastic. Nout wrong with Chinese manufacture if the QA processes are in place. I speak as a UK designer at UK-based electronics company dealing with China-sourced product. Get it right and it's as good as anything made anywhere else in the world. And it can also be really bad but that is usually the case when the bean-counters insist on overly cost-engineering things. I'm assuming by using the analogue RCA interconnects with the Denon, that the active DAC is the Burr-Brown in the Denon, not the DAC in the 778X. I read that both offer pretty good performance, albeit with slightly different 'character'. I cannot compare with anything though - only what I read. I did think about the Audiolab 6000A too (same core amp design) but with tone/balance control. But where do you stop eh? I stuck to my budget in the end.

This seems to be the only real world review and comment I can find regarding the mission. I was looking for a new integrated amp and had initially chosen a Marantz PM6007 which I had delivered. Unfortunately the optical port was faulty and upon shipping it back it was stolen. Since I also require a DAC with USB input by the time I factor that in with the price of the Marantz I could get the Mission 778x. It sounds as if you prefer the mission to the Marantz? My only worry is that some dealers have put me off by saying that so much money has been spent on implementing the USB DAC etc that the amplifier part will be comparable with something on the real budget end. I don’t have anywhere to demo unfortunately but wanted to know more about your thoughts.

Finally stumbled upon a Mission 778x internals shot. Post #48 comparing the Leak and Quad internals updated to include the Mission here.

That Mission trafo looks tiny, Vena/Leak looks larger
Yes, like what MacDonald's are calling donuts these days.

The relative net weights are:
  • Quad Vena II: 6.1kg
  • Leak Stereo 130: 7.02kg (Silver), 8.30kg (Walnut)
  • Mission 774x: 6.3kg

Clearly a cost down product
These appear to be chip amps so having linear power supplies (with generously spec'd reservoir capacitors, mind) likely classifies them as a 'cost up' products. At least when compared to the cheap as chips chip amp brigade.

Mission 778x:
mission-778x-internal-2.jpg

advertisement

Back