advertisement

A new amp from Mission.

I have no issue with "made in China". A lot of high quality electronic equipment is manufactured there; take a lookout the iPhone in your pocket and the Mac many of us type on. Most IAG stuff seems well made at its price point and usually seems to represent good value for money. The only issue I do have is with HiFi companies, not just IAG, that trade under previously well known US, UK and Japanese names and logos and hide the Chinese origin of their products in small print. In my view they should follow the line shown by unashamedly Chinese companies like Auralic, Holo Audio and Topping who don't pretend to be anything other than chinese.

I have no issue with "made in China". A lot of high quality electronic equipment is manufactured there; take a lookout the iPhone in your pocket and the Mac many of us type on. Most IAG stuff seems well made at its price point and usually seems to represent good value for money. The only issue I do have is with HiFi companies, not just IAG, that trade under previously well known US, UK and Japanese names and logos and hide the Chinese origin of their products in small print. In my view they should follow the line shown by unashamedly Chinese companies like Auralic, Holo Audio and Topping who don't pretend to be anything other than chinese.

I agree that origin of manufacturing should be stated clearly so that anyone adverse to Chinese (or other) products can make an informed choice.

If a manufacturer has design teams in countries other than the one of manufacturing, many do, then that should take equal space but not take the headline (as it often does).

I like to think though that anyone really concerned about this would use their digits to do a quick Google on their intended purchase. In this world of immediate information it is not too difficult.

I am not sure how the law stands with product signage of origin/manufacturing but perhaps someone should start lobbying about it.

Personally I would not reject higher value products of a certain origin, no matter where they are made as long as it is from a reputable company. And even so I have to admit to probably (most certainly) owning cheaper every day use items of which I have no idea how and by who exactly it was made, be that clothes or kitchen utensils, a toothbrush, chargers, a door stop, power cables etc etc.. - I think that probably goes for most ... even extinction rebellion members and other purveyors of ethical trading etc.

Going back to the announced Mission amplifier, if indeed it is an exact copy of the Leak or Quad amplifiers, that would border on cynical or worse, complete lazyness on IAG's side. I would take issue with that and probably do my utmost to publicise that through social media (realising many won't care). -

I have not heard the afromentioned Leak and Quad Vena amplifiers but simply reading a few reviews I can't help and think their respective sounds are usually described at opposite ends of the spectrum. This in turn could mean that they are not entirely the same. A few small component changes, perhaps an op amp or two could perhaps have that effect. I don't know and unless we compare all these side by side and/or have an explanation from IAG, we'll never know for certain.

IAG have a history of voicing products differently, especially where speakers are concerned and I know from P J Comeau interviews it seems important for him to keep some historical traits of the different brands he is responsible for alive albeit making full use of their excellent production facilities and resulting technical improvements if necessary.

Even my recent Audiolab amplifier is said to have some similar traits from its earlier iterations whilst improving most aspects. As I have owned one of those earlier amplifiers (8000S) I can confirm the new one is indeed a much, much better unit but still upholds some of the sound signature Audiolab is known for.

As I said previously, much of my Hifi is made in China, some by IAG and I have ad no issues or complaints.

If you're asking how I can be bothered to write half a book about this here ... my other half is watching England play and I really, really dislike football :)

Hard for me to get too excited about any of the amps being discussed in this thread. I would think most folks would have a better setup than what any of the amps provide. None of them seem that great for integrating with streaming or with a television either.

New Mission amplifier - good news.

This means they can follow it with a new Mission LFAU version, and make a new Mission 767.

New Mission amplifier - good news.

This means they can follow it with a new Mission LFAU version, and make a new Mission 767.
If IAG really want to hark back to Mission's early days, they'll want to have PJC modify the new 770 on a monthly basis. We never knew what the next pair would sound like and eventually took to selling the demo pair off the floor only.

If they do decide to introduce higher retro models, let's just hope they skip the mid '80s altogether. No one really needs another 780 Argonaut style ear-syringing with bass.

1st system Better Spec and Better price made in UK / EU from Rega & Project
Pro-Ject Colourful HiFi System Review | AVForums
Pro-JectColourfulAudioSystemWalnut_800x.jpg

Anm85TPeJ7ttHyN5zNJJg.jpg

Clearly a nod to past designs (and I still prefer the Onix and wish I'd never sold mine), but the casework design looks to be much improved over the Cyrus equivalent, which just looks cheap to me - the Rega is a little better apart from the switch and socket executions. It's just the power button which irks me on the Mission, but otherwise, I think it looks great!

778x-Standard-Silver-1.jpg

Clearly a nod to past designs (and I still prefer the Onix and wish I'd never sold mine), but the casework design looks to be much improved over the Cyrus equivalent, which just looks cheap to me - the Rega is a little better apart from the switch and socket executions. It's just the power button which irks me on the Mission, but otherwise, I think it looks great!

778x-Standard-Silver-1.jpg

Yes, it looks better made than the Cyrus ONE. My one criticism of that amplifier but it looks surprisingly good in use. Sound too is quite amazing as are perceived power and features (ONE Cast).

If IAG really want to hark back to Mission's early days, they'll want to have PJC modify the new 770 on a monthly basis. We never knew what the next pair would sound like and eventually took to selling the demo pair off the floor only.

If they do decide to introduce higher retro models, let's just hope they skip the mid '80s altogether. No one really needs another 780 Argonaut style ear-syringing with bass.

I bloody loved the Argonauts!

You couldn't possibly have heard the first iteration with the Cerwin Vega-like horn tweeter, then.

Mission 780 Argonaut (gen 1):
mission_780a.jpg

I don't know - I didn't think they were all that bad, but definitely not a patch on the later floorstanding version.

In fact, I loved every model in the 70/700/707/737R/770F/780A range and pretty much hated every single loudspeaker Mission made after that until they were acquired by IAG!

advertisement

Back