advertisement

a nature set of my very own

magenta and brown are two other problematic colours. only one picture ever taken has managed to rely on all three at once and be very good.

vuk.

p.s. ian, you don't even shoot colour pictures ffs!

Here's one of my colour pictures:

crw_5623.jpg

And here's another one:

_eps0797.jpg

:)

They were taken in 2006 mind you, and I haven't taken any colour this year yet. I'm waiting for the landscape to get more green...

-- Ian

green ink can be nice and american money still looks like the real thing, not cartoon currency like most other countries have adopted.

vuk.

you could try explaining? otherwise i don't really understand why you're bothering to say it's some kind of 'rule'.

i think the issue is primarily on of texture and to do with the main green things around us which are grass and leaves. when you a not far away and the whole area isn't sufficient homogenised, the shadowy parts create an erratic textural effect that's like a sort of visual noise. grass in back and white photography is often equally jarring if short, although there are contrast techniques to minimise the effect.

i don't know how covining this is. i have a friend who doesn't see/think that complimentary colours go well together and thinks blue with greeen is nicer than blue with orange.

to me, this is something that doesnt need explaining when we have millions of pictures around us to look at and see, not to mention our own efforts. (just look through my website and you will see that there is practically no green--that's a nice, braod and unbiased sample ;-)

vuk.

This is the unwritten upside of global warming -- when all the plants die there will be less risk of amateurs inadvertantly producing green photographs and offending the sensibilites of Canadian aesthetes.

I think we might need a thread here where we all add our Vuk style rules. Mine would be "Never photograph pets unless they are dead". Or maybe "Never press the shutter when the number of minutes past the hour is a prime number".

matthew.

i once prepared this for ian macheachern to show people who asked if he did babies and weddings:

iwm.gif

vuk.

advertisement

Back