advertisement

A mellow night at Chez GruntPuppy - Doggo Training was Successful!!!

GruntPuppy

pfm Member
Tonight, I am replete - filled with the satisfaction of a day well spent, of objectives achieved, and last (but not least) a cheese and bacon toastie.

3 hours of intensive training has seen a nightmare dog walking to heel. My handling of him has had a radical overhaul, he's obviously a lot happier and well settled, and I'm delighted with the results. He's no longer a bad bitey boi, and I'm very, very happy. I know we've got a long way to go with him, but MY GOD what a difference!

After the training, we put up Chubbly's dog cage and nipped out to get some shopping. Did you know Chubbly can unlatch the doors on a dog cage? No? Neither did we. He was waiting to greet us when we got home, thankfully no damage done.

After the delay caused by this, we went off to collect a Wychwood line filter/surge protector from BB Wan - minor delay because he'd taken his house number down... but we got there!

Walking the dog after feeding him was marvellous - walking to heel, responding to commands while off the lead, absolutely marvellous, and I thought it would never happen.

The final part of a great day is me cooking a boneless rib roast to be munched on tomorrow. I have a tried and tested method that gives tender, juicy, flavourful meat. To quote Dr McNinja (worth a google) "This shit is going to be DELICIOUS."

I'm enjoying a tidy cup of tea while I wait out the clock on the beef, then it's bed for me - up at 6.30 am to walk the dog.

Don't crow too soon as dogs are a bit like children, sometimes forgetful but still wanting to please.
Has he changed his behaviour with your partner?

Don't crow too soon as dogs are a bit like children, sometimes forgetful but still wanting to please.
Has he changed his behaviour with your partner?

Somewhat - it's a learning curve, two steps forward, one step back, and plenty of positive reinforcement is required. Currently he's learning that ANY tooth contact gets him put in his training crate.

I'm having trouble getting pics up for eBay so I can PAY for this dog's training - pics of the doggo himself?! I'll get something arranged over the next few days.

I want the beef recipe

Ok.

It's not rocket science. I prepare a bath of stock - plenty of veggies in it to give flavour to the eventual gravy. I take the beef, and TIGHTLY roll it in foil, being careful to seal and roll the ends. I do this once more. Beef into stock, pan into oven, cook accordingly. I find that cooked low and slow, it stops the meat juices escaping for the most part (and those that do end up in the stock anyway). The beef steams in its' own juices. I let it rest before unwrapping, being careful to retain any meat juices that are in the foil, these too go into the stock.

Brisket cooked this way is an utter delight - the glutinous connective tissue just melts away, the meat is tender as hell. I cooked in advance as we have company today - a friend who needs a good chat to set the world to rights is coming over. Most of the cooking done in advance, I've got time to be an ear. And the doggo has the bestest ears EVER, and a waggy tail makes many things seem less burdensome.

Incidentally, when I do cook ahead, I GENTLY reheat the meat in the stock, and make the gravy straight after. If I had more time I'd be using the basic roux method, but today it is (the shame! THE SHAME!) gravy granules. This also makes the meat tender, juicy and flavourful.

I should add - boneless rib roast sadly crosses the threshold rarely - but the meat woman at Splott Market did me a 7lb 8oz rib lump of the stuff for £20! It will contribute to many meals as well, as I'm a thrifty cook. The three HUGE (2kg+) packs of cooking bacon/gammon ends for £5 the three will go a long, long way too.

I’m rapidly appreciating via a 2 year old rescue Foxhound that training is a lifetime pursuit that has no end.

A beagle is hard enough a foxhound wow good luck , I never realised there were any around as pets , untrainable I was led to understand .

Here are some I saw a county show , I was fascinated how they all watched and moved as one dog .

My family are bipetsual - we've always had a soft spot for dogs AND cats, and alsatians are smart enough to realise that the cat's gonna win, and give in. That said, the relationships are normally deeper than that. We used to have a tiny little tabby called tiddykins many moons ago, when she had her kittens she wouldn't let her brother puggsyfatcat near them - but she'd give a special miaow to call Ferg the alsatian, and he'd come and guard them so she could nip outside. He'd wash them and warn everyone except me off :) When she returned he'd back out from behind the armchair she'd chosen as her birthing place (we did sneak a nice comfy towel lined box in there for her while she was outside at one point - Ferg had to be promised it was ok, though) and Tiddykins would resume motherly duties. I had to reassure her about the box as well, mind you. Eventually she gave a happy little chirrup and settled in with the brood.

A later rescue alsatian, Dibley-dog, was best mates with puggsyfatcat - watching them play and cuddle up was lovely.

advertisement

Back