advertisement

A List of Tories Promising to resign when Johnson gets appointed

On R4 (if I remember correctly) they said Brenda must be satisfied the new PM can command a majority in parliament. May, as the outgoing PM has to assure her Maj of this.
There was speculation that there was a small chance May would not be prepared to do this.

I think May puts her party above the country, so it would seem to be a very small chance.

I’m not clear on the procedure, but doesn’t Brenda have to invite him to form a government? My question above was asking at what point he isn’t the person who gets the call. If he can form a minority government, doesn’t that imply Brenda gives him the opportunity to try?

The sitting party has to get first dibs.
Minority goats have been formed under such circumstances in the past.

It's a funny old world when everyone who's worked with the Johnson thinks he's useless and a national liability, yet the rest of the Tory party think he's the best thing since sliced budgets. Expect the announcement of a new hospital or a HS2 connection with South Tyrone.

The sitting party has to get first dibs.
Minority goats have been formed under such circumstances in the past.
Goats indeed! Never was a spell check error more appropriate. On second thoughts that's probably unfair to goats!

How many Tories would need to cross the floor in order for Boris not to be able to form a Government, ie not to be asked by Brenda to try to form a Government?
Brenda? Brenda??

While I'm instinctively republican, we are where we are, a consitutional monarchy in deep sh1t, and I think we should remain respectfull to HM the Queen, our Head of State, as we may need her help in the coming days.

I'd go for Prince Charles as Lord Protector over Boris Johnson as PM any day! What do our Scotch members think?

As a republican I nevertheless have some respect for the Queen - I have none whatsoever for Bigears.

As far as Scotch is concerned I`m just about to have another.

As with Trump in the US, Tories will all strap on their knee pads for Johnson, one by one.

That was before they knifed her in the back. Now she can get revenge. She strikes me as the sort of person who holds a grudge
Her presiding role at the Home Office was a demonstration of real poison- utterly at odds with her St. Francis of Assisi impersonation outside No.10 when she became PM. Quite how far she’ll go (beyond her famous death stare from the backbenches) to damage Johnson and thus the Party, I have my doubts about.

Her presiding role at the Home Office was a demonstration of real poison- utterly at odds with her St. Francis of Assisi impersonation outside No.10 when she became PM. Quite how far she’ll go (beyond her famous death stare from the backbenches) to damage Johnson and thus the Party, I have my doubts about.
Yes. She's clearly capable of personal vindictiveness (Osborne) and really disturbing levels of spite and hatred against whole classes of people (primarily ethnic minorities), but they are both coming from the same place, namely her Conservatism. She'd rather die than turn her poison against the Party, I'm sure of it.

Alan Duncan has just resigned, though only from his ministerial role, not as a Tory.
Given his extensive appearances on TV ‘critiquing’ Johnson’s personal integrity, reliability and work ethic, I think he knew his goose was cooked.

Her presiding role at the Home Office was a demonstration of real poison- utterly at odds with her St. Francis of Assisi impersonation outside No.10 when she became PM.

What is it with female Tory PMs and the Francis of Assisi thing? Thatcher laughably tried the same thing when she became PM. It convinces no-one, and the act lasts for a few minutes before the mask slips and the claws and fangs are revealed.

It was like one of those exam essays she bought off the Internet. She made all these promises and went off and did the opposite, never mentioning the ‘ just about managing’ and how ‘I’m here for you babes’. I struggle to think, in the historical context, of another political leader who laid out a false prospectus like that then simply forgot to mention it ever again.

Assuming Jo Swinson wins the leadership contest today, she'll offer an acceptably right-wing home for disaffected Tories. https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...rats-voting-record-wrong-choice-a7793056.html
An MP cannot escape their voting record, and Swinson’s is attached to her like a ball and chain. On welfare, she has voted to cut payments including those for people with illness or disability; on economic policy, she voted against increased income tax over £150,000, and voted against a tax on banker’s bonuses, protecting the wealth of those who need it least at the cost of the most vulnerable in society; Swinson voted to cut funding for young people seeking jobs or further training, voted slowing the increase of rail fees, and against restricting the fees that landlords can charge tenants.

Swinson’s record is not consistent with the Lib Dem constitutional mission of enacting “a free, fair, and open society”. It is more fitting of a true blue MP of the “nasty party”. Swinson, after all, served happily as a junior minister in the Coalition Government.

Rory Stewart has said he wont serve under Johnson because he’s dangerous. The pool of talent is evaporating very quickly.

advertisement

Back