advertisement

A List of Tories Promising to resign when Johnson gets appointed

Bob McC

Living the life of Riley
So far we have Hammond and Gauke promising they will refuse to serve under Johnson.
Times reports 6 Tory MPs are negotiating with the Lib Dems to cross the floor.

So that’s
Hammond
Gauke
Alan Johnson

Feel free to add as the week progresses.

Last edited:
Surely Hammond is only resigning before he gets the sack, and I think Gauke may be similar. I do think that there are some who see career prospects a couple of years down the road if Boris makes a complete mess of things, and standing aside at the moment might turn out to be a smart move then. I aslo read somewhere that JRM is in line to be second in command to Liz Truss as chancellor, but we'll find out soon enough, unfortunately.

I am not surprised, Boris Johnson is an accident waiting to happen and his Tory supporters must of had some magic mushrooms at the Mad Hatters tea party.

Boris could be PM for a very short period. Hammond is one of the few sane tories & I don't think he has any designs on career advancement, he has risen as far as he can go (politically).

So far we have Hammond and Gauke promising they will refuse to serve under Johnson.
Times reports 6 Tory MPs are negotiating with the Lib Dems to cross the floor
How many Tories would need to cross the floor in order for Boris not to be able to form a Government, ie not to be asked by Brenda to try to form a Government?

But he can form a minority govt then call a general election...
I’m not clear on the procedure, but doesn’t Brenda have to invite him to form a government? My question above was asking at what point he isn’t the person who gets the call. If he can form a minority government, doesn’t that imply Brenda gives him the opportunity to try?

Even if half a dozen do cross the floor the Tories would still have the most members in the HOC so Boris would be the first party leader to be invited to form a government.

Times reports 6 Tory MPs are negotiating with the Lib Dems to cross the floor.

So that’s
Hammond
Gauke

Feel free to add as the week progresses.
Far shorter than the list publicly crawling up him with fulsome praise for his great wisdom and leadership abilities, every one of them on the make. Old enemies have become his life long friends. The hypocrisy is vomit inducing and the only consolation is that the snakes’ moment in the sun will be a short one.

Even if half a dozen do cross the floor the Tories would still have the most members in the HOC so Boris would be the first party leader to be invited to form a government.
On R4 (if I remember correctly) they said Brenda must be satisfied the new PM can command a majority in parliament. May, as the outgoing PM has to assure her Maj of this.
There was speculation that there was a small chance May would not be prepared to do this.

On R4 (if I remember correctly) they said Brenda must be satisfied the new PM can command a majority in parliament. May, as the outgoing PM has to assure her Maj of this.
There was speculation that there was a small chance May would not be prepared to do this.
This is what I had half-remembered, hence my question upthread.

It does lead to something of a conundrum, given that as things stand it seems unlikely Corbyn could make the cut, either.

It’s a requirement that seems to rely on FPTP, given that coalition is not something we’re very good at, or used to.

advertisement

Back