advertisement

A final CD player?

I have played with various mains cables [including some very expensive well regarded ones] into the Isis , and Osiris , and always come back to the supplied Rega cable.

The supplied Rega Couple is also very good and so well balanced you have to be careful upgrading it. But it can be done . Incidentially I always preferred phono output over balanced , until I heard Regas own balanced cable. That changed my mind and have since upgraded that , again with care because Regas cables punch well above their weight.

With the Isis valve I didn't like the supplied Mains and IC's.
Ended up with Atlas Mains Cables and an RFC Saturn XLR into the Osiris.
Not tried any isolation or damping - Isis just sat onto of an Ikea cabinet.

To be clear its not night and day

As others will have noted with their own successful upgrades, there is a wonderful side effect in that some of the album tracks that I have previously skipped over, now make more sense and I have enjoyed listening to them too. In that way, I have effectively expanded my music collection.

Variations upon a theme, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't a better CDP in resolution and involvement terms. That you said you're now listening to previously skipped tracks ( and maybe previously seldom played CDs) says everything; definite upgrade or accentuation of different parts of the frequency spectrum? Of course, reverting to your Opus after a few weeks will settle that one ! Satisfying move, Richard.

If you can get it into an unused unswitched socket you may well up the ante further.

Just an FYI to Isis owners - 'Stack Audio' Link provides a high quality USB source (Internet Radio, Tidal, Quboz) into your Isis DAC.

I have used the Isis as boxed - with Rega power cords and interconnects. My pre-amp also has XLR inputs so I will try those in due course but I don't feel the need just now. Its plugged into a Vertex mains block which I bought years ago and always thought offered an incremental benefit to the Opus. I can't try it direct into the wall socket as the Rega lead isn't long enough.

As noted above, the Isis sounds bloody good as it stands.

The Rega mains cable is excellent VFM, around the level of a Russ Andrews HC / Reference.
I had higher up Russ Andrews cables running on mine and the last was the staggeringly good Coherent, with price to match.
XLR was a step better than RCA into a Pass Labs Pre
Rega interconnects were again excellent VFM. Yannis XLRs before I went to Coherent

Been too busy listening to my CDs!!

Its very early days but the bottom line is that I am impressed and very happy. No buyers remorse just a quiet contentment of having made a good choice.

Of course there are many other fine players out there (that I have never and will never hear) but this one really works for me in terms of greater musical enjoyment plus provides nice add-ons such as product longevity, understated styling and what looks like excellent build quality (on the outside and presumably on the inside too).

Starting with the less important aspect, the unit looks great in the flesh and the packaging is confidence inspiring. Perhaps I have read it somewhere but it looks like stealth-like i.e. expensive, focused, advanced tech, durable. In contrast the remote control is a bit "blocky" and almost too heavy. Surely an opportunity for a mark 2 version!

I received the Isis late on Thursday afternoon and plugged it in straightaway to make sure all was well. Took me ages to find the power switch - even thought about calling the dealer. It looks like part of the trim. Once spotted its obvious but in my rush to get going I just couldn't see it. Idiot.

First impressions pretty good. A meatier and weightier sound. More bass and greater bass impact - not bass heavy or deliberately tipped in that direction just more bandwidth. Good start.

Sadly had to cut listening short as was due to meet old mate in town for beers ...

Restarted listening at 11am with hangover still lingering. More importantly in a better frame of mind - relaxed and just listening for enjoyment.

All other benefits very quickly apparent - can hear more of everything. Subtle but important intonations from singers, clarity of vocals, sophistication of players, wider and deeper soundstage etc etc. I am a numbers not a words person so its not easy to offer a fulsome description but I would say that the upgrade means that all CDs tried to date almost sound as they are different takes of the same music but with musicians and singers putting a little bit more into their performance - effort, skills, interpretation. I guess that sounds a little bit over the top. To be clear its not night and day but its certainly a marked and very worthwhile improvement. I can hear more but in a balanced and relaxed way. That makes each performance more interesting, realistic and enjoyable.

As others will have noted with their own successful upgrades, there is a wonderful side effect in that some of the album tracks that I have previously skipped over, now make more sense and I have enjoyed listening to them too. In that way, I have effectively expanded my music collection.

My first hifi system was a Rega Planar 3, NAD 3020 and AR18s (I still have the Rega). In a later system iteration I bought a pair of Mk 1 ELAs (with the fully fluted fronts and the Royd drivers, I think). Both those Rega products brought me much enjoyment and represented excellent value for money. This Isis already makes me feel the same way.

I will work through the rest of my favourite CDs over the coming weeks. I am looking forward to it.

If you are using it with the supplied Rega Couple ICs, they do hold the Isis back a fair bit. A dealer suggested a pair of Atlas Mavros and they really opened the Isis up. It becomes less dense and adds a bit of pace to the sound. They aren't silly money either especially used. Well worth looking out for a pair. This was not Naim amps & speakers BTW.

If you are using it with the supplied Rega Couple ICs, they do hold the Isis back a fair bit. A dealer suggested a pair of Atlas Mavros and they really opened the Isis up. It becomes less dense and adds a bit of pace to the sound. They aren't silly money either especially used. Well worth looking out for a pair. This was not Naim amps & speakers BTW.

I'd agree with Rack Kit - and would again recommend also considering the RFC Saturn XLR interconnect.

Mine used to have Electric beach blocks on top, black ravioli under, sitting on an Electric Beach platform on RDC 4 cones on a Creaktiv rack
Overkill - of course not
:)
Everything seems to like as much isolation as possible

I'm getting the strong message that the Isis likes decent isolation :)
Thanks Folkman!
I only ever used mine on glass with the Fraim racking. I Wasn’t inclined to try anything else as seeing how much it costs & just let it do it’s job.

Seemed ok to me!

Thanks for all the tips so far.

Still happy with investment.

Will try alternative isolation and interconnects in due course (I have a set of spare connects from Coherent (3D) and Cawsey (cca)) that might be interesting - both RCA though.
I looked for Rega balanced cables but they don't seem to be available anymore. I am sure other options like Atlas Macros and RFC Saturn are good but even used they are a bit much at this stage.

Out of curiosity has anyone used the Power Inspired Regenerators with an Isis? Any good? Reason is that late night listening seems noticeably better (though counter intuitive given that power gubbins inside are presumably top notch).

R

Takes a lot to beat an Isis sound quality.

Coherent 3D will be better than anything of a similar price and others way more expensive IMO

Currently using Coherent 6D XLR which were better than RCA going TAD Pre- TAD Power Amp

Used to use a PS Audio P10 regenerator to power my set up. Don't know Power Inspired
Swapped to an Audio Magic Conditioner for a step up in sound quality

Reason is that late night listening seems noticeably better

It invariably is; one reason being that there's less demand for energy. If you want the ultimate power source, apart from your own phase or massive generator, get dedicated mains put in (assuming it's your dwelling).

advertisement

Back