advertisement

A final CD player?

Have used an Resolution Audio Opus 21 on and off for over 15 years. Its been great.
At various times I have attempted to upgrade from it (trying separate transports and DACs) but have always come back to it.
Tempted again to see if I can land something better and have the option to pick up a used Rega Isis SS. Haven't listened to it yet. Expect build quality to be great and like the idea of spare mechs to help longevity.
Which alternatives have members gone to from either the Opus unit or the Isis (at semi sensible prices)? [I don't use SACDs and only used Spotify on mobile devices to check out new music before buying.]

What do you think you are missing sound wise from the Opus?
If you are looking to add some colour try a valved cdp.

just to say I'm unclear on the point of buying into a medium which (at last) reproduces a recording with little or no distortion, noise etc (unlike vinyl) only to moan that it's too clean and go adding valves to muddy what comes out? If you want it muddied, do it 'proper' with a valve amp and some sensitive speakers. Preferably some massive triodes in SE mode:)

I had a CD3 mk2 purchased new,it died within 3 months so was repaired under warranty,then after 2 years the transport failed.I doubt it had 500 hrs use as I mostly worked away from home at the time.IIRC AS charged me over £600 to replace the transport.

I now use a Tascam 200 as a transport with a Jolida DAC and don't miss the CD3 at all.

Very disappointing experience. I’ve been lucky enough to avoid that kind of outrageous repair bill so far. It is a factor in product selection though - which is where feedback from this kind of forum is so valuable. Some companies seem to be much more reasonable in their repair and servicing costs - and others not. An example of the former is EAR where I had a problem on one channel of my 912 preamp. I had that fixed and serviced together with the 509 monos I also had at the time for circa £150. Top notch.

I am hoping the Isis will have similar after care service if a problem were to arise in the future.

I think the situation is similar to car service and repair. A 'good' franchise will ofc do the job, returning your machine to factory almost as new condition. All the value should be retained. Indi engineers come in two schools IME. Those who do exactly the same work, use identical parts to those factory fitted and work (at least) as well as the 'official site (sometimes better). The value will still be retained and the work a little cheaper... and some who will do the repair with what comes to hand in the tool box and with parts from ANO source. You may lose value at sale time if the changes are visible to a knowledgable buyer, but the work will be a lot less expensive. I think it just comes down to which balance suits you, but unless you are an option 1 man only, then you needn't worry about manufacturer servicing. Like a car, I'd do that if the product were in warranty obvs, but after that? No need at all IMO.

What do you think you are missing sound wise from the Opus?
If you are looking to add some colour try a valved cdp.

The Opus is a fine player with IMO a well balanced, transparent but still easy to listen to sound. That said I believe I can get something that offers more of the same. Comments from various people on this thread seem to confirm that.

I am now reminded that I did listen to a valved CD player once years ago - a Consonance 2.2 - which I believe was feted as a giant killer in its day. I thought it was very good but was put off by what looked like iffy build quality.

I am not fussed between SS or valve designs. Either could be fine. It’s the SQ that counts and I have owned enough kit over the years to believe that you can get great (or v poor) results via any particular audio technology (valve, SS, electrostatics, transmission lines, sealed boxes, open baffles etc etc etc).

I think the situation is similar to car service and repair. A 'good' franchise will ofc do the job, returning your machine to factory almost as new condition. All the value should be retained. Indi engineers come in two schools IME. Those who do exactly the same work, use identical parts to those factory fitted and work (at least) as well as the 'official site (sometimes better). The value will still be retained and the work a little cheaper... and some who will do the repair with what comes to hand in the tool box and with parts from ANO source. You may lose value at sale time if the changes are visible to a knowledgable buyer, but the work will be a lot less expensive. I think it just comes down to which balance suits you, but unless you are an option 1 man only, then you needn't worry about manufacturer servicing. Like a car, I'd do that if the product were in warranty obvs, but after that? No need at all IMO.

In the example quoted, and using your analogy, with EAR I think I got main dealer protection with fully authorised parts at pricing better than the sole trader mechanic in a lock up off the beaten track. Shame we can’t get that with all “prestigious” audio manufacturers (though that’s no great surprise).

I think you need to hold a bake off RichardA...set your kit up and invite x number of PFMers to bring CD players of the value you want to audition in your own listening room. Cake/curry/beer is usually enough of a bribe? :)

The Opus is a fine player with IMO a well balanced, transparent but still easy to listen to sound. That said I believe I can get something that offers more of the same. Comments from various people on this thread seem to confirm that.

Excuse this if you've already mentioned it in this interesting thread, but I'm keen to know your set-up and the room it's in. I empathise with your situation which I'm sure most of us experience at odd times of upgraditis. Being in north London could be useful for 'local' aficionados with higher end CDPs. At the mo' it looks like the Isis, of whichever format, is likely to be the real world comparative CDP. Another advantage is that Southend is not too far away, should the need arise. Pity Norwich is too far distant, because a Lector/Opus shoot-out would be fun.:).

I happily listen to a Pioneer PD S703 every day in the kitchen diner
Excellent player

I hate that player with every bone in my body. It was the hype attached by what hifi years ago that made me stay with it for a very long time. I never upgraded as I though that's as good as digital can get (without spending mega bucks). Same applies to the Marantz CD17 Ki Sig and similar. They were ok as transports (supposedly) but awful as players! :D

Well, I did mention ARC (see quote.), but they have had a few models over the years so I'd be surprised if fishies have no experience of them. Quite possibly they were one of the first to incorporate valves in CD playback.

The later ones have a dac input, so won't be toast if the transport dies. Never heard one sadly.

A spare transport for a 777 - the rocking horse poop KSS-272A? Even over 10 years ago they were unobtanium- it took me 3 lower spec players with same mech before I found a good one, took me 2 years from memory (post here somewhere). I reckon the transport alone is worth more than £600 if you can prove its new.

Fantastically engineered players, but I didn’t like their sound compared to tda1541 based players. I’m still on the lookout for the Sony ES model with dual 1541s, missed one for £140 recently - I’d like to try modding one!

I had mine hooked up to Krell KAV300i and Focal Electra 920. Godlike sound with drums and live Jazz. Loved that system :D

I had more expensive kit over the years but that set up was truly great. Pure "hifi" sound with no bloom at all.

I hate that player with every bone in my body. It was the hype attached by what hifi years ago that made me stay with it for a very long time. I never upgraded as I though that's as good as digital can get (without spending mega bucks). Same applies to the Marantz CD17 Ki Sig and similar. They were ok as transports (supposedly) but awful as players! :D
This one isn't being *listened* to hard.
Digital into SMSL Q5 amp and TDL RTL speakers

I think you need to hold a bake off RichardA...set your kit up and invite x number of PFMers to bring CD players of the value you want to audition in your own listening room. Cake/curry/beer is usually enough of a bribe? :)

I think that is the most practical approach. Will ponder timing (now that two oldest children are back from Uni and have taken the house over!!)

Excuse this if you've already mentioned it in this interesting thread, but I'm keen to know your set-up and the room it's in. I empathise with your situation which I'm sure most of us experience at odd times of upgraditis. Being in north London could be useful for 'local' aficionados with higher end CDPs. At the mo' it looks like the Isis, of whichever format, is likely to be the real world comparative CDP. Another advantage is that Southend is not too far away, should the need arise. Pity Norwich is too far distant, because a Lector/Opus shoot-out would be fun.:).

Set up is the Opus 21 into an EAR 912 and then normally into a Gradient combined electronic crossover/4 channel power amp driving Quad 63s and Gradient SWS subwoofers. Gradient X/O being serviced so back up is a Croft 7R power amp driving 63's with no subs. Vinyl competition is via a TW Raven One/Schick/SPU. Room is circa is circa 4m by 4m by 3m high (good old victorian ceilings) but one wall is largely knocked through to a bigger second space.

Set up is the Opus 21 into an EAR 912

Interesting that we use the same pre., Richard; also ESLs (in that small room? Must have their rears facing the 'second space' as I have too). Surprised you don't have (an) E.A.R. power amp(s)., as most were developed by T.de P. using 63s. The 989 and 2905s don't need any subs added. Actually, my friend has the new 2988 (or whatever; the latest smaller one = the 63 size) and the frequency range and coverage in a fair-sized rectangular room was outstanding (driven by an 899 integrated).

Last edited:
Was previously using the EAR 509 monos which were very good. When I added the sub woofers I needed 4 channels of amplification so it made sense to go with the Gradient unit which also sounds v good (to me). Its a Hypex NCORE based unit.

Yes, I have the 509s (mk 2) which were definitely designed around the 63 (said T.de P. on a service visit). Afraid I don't believe in adding speakers to speakers but by having the speakers which afford the largest frequency range for any given format or domestic situation (in other words, I've always been a big speaker man !:)). I think that's the same principle adopted by Martin Logan, who, by all accounts, have now managed to overcome the integration issues.

Their Summit X would be a contender if I changed, though the narrow dispersion angle compared to the Quads still presents a challenge. All in hifi is something of a compromise !

At a speaker cable bake-off earlier this year in my friend's 2988/E.A.R.room , the incumbent NAC A5 (which I also use) was joined by 3 or 4 other cables with a listening panel of 7. Whereas the NAC A5 was preferred to others, there was one cable which transformed the transparency, dynamics and involvement factor. The improvements were unanimously confirmed. It wasn't a cheap cable but nor was it silly money. Trouble is, I've forgotten the make; it was British made, but from U.S. materials, I recall and supplied by Signals near Ipswich.

When I had Martin Logan summit x I just had a massive wall of sound and it was quite incredible. What is this narrow dispersion thing? I know there is a sweet spot but isn't that like all speakers?

Good Evening All,

As I've commented elsewhere I've been very surprised (and I'm being very polite) at how good my old Karik I (original transformer based PSU - recently serviced at Class A) coupled to a Numerik (Slimline Brilliant PSU - also recently serviced at Class A) sounded, this went up several layers when I replaced the Karik I with a, recently purchased on eBay, Karik III.

I'm comparing it to an LP12, non-machined Radikal/ Keel/ Ekos and Krystal........

Regards

Richard

advertisement

Back