Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A final CD player?

Discussion in 'audio' started by RichardA, Aug 29, 2019.

1. rod ayling

rod ayling pfm Member

There is an Isis non valve on Ebay now. Buy it now price £2395

Tarzan and RichardA like this.
  2. RichardA

RichardA pfm Member

Missed that. I will take a closer look. Thanks.

3. waxkinglyrical

waxkinglyrical pfm Member

If I could find a Bow Technologies ZZ8 it’s be my final and first CD player.

4. effinity

effinity pfm Member

5. Hipper

Hipper pfm Member

Is it time to consider computer audio?

Julf likes this.
  6. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Yes. I think that would be a good move.

7. RichardA

RichardA pfm Member

8. notevenclose

notevenclose pfm Member

Yes. Good thinking.

Consider it briefly, have a quick listen then get back to playing CDs.

9. RichardA

RichardA pfm Member

Thanks for all the replies to date.

It’s not possible for me to investigate all the options mentioned - especially when buying used.

Lots of positives on the Isis so I will definitely follow up and listen to that unit, probably as the key benchmark (if not the eventual choice).

Cheers.

10. Julf

Julf Facts are our friends

I had my final CD player give up it's ghost in 2002 or so. Went computer after that. Never looked back - guaranteed audio quality.

11. Julf

Julf Facts are our friends

Curious as to what setup you tried. You do realize that a CD is just a storage and shipping format for digital files?

booja30 and Blackmetalboon like this.
  12. RichardA

RichardA pfm Member

I did recently listen to one of the latest Innuos units. The user interface was v slick however I felt the SQ was noticeably adrift from the Opus. Real shame as I wanted to prefer it given all the other obvious advantages. I can see how others might choose differently but computer audio isn’t for me. I suppose the smart thing to do would be to wait but there’s no fun in that.

13. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Or. Consider it. Go back to Cd. Realise what your missing and delve into computer audio. They all have value. I feel sorry for those that cling to formats terrified that they may have a good enough rival. Live a little.

booja30 and Julf like this.
  14. notevenclose

notevenclose pfm Member

Actually, I f***ed about with computer/file-based audio for over a decade, culminating in owning a Melco server.

I still run a Mac mini/Audirvana with a grand's worth of cables connected to it. It sounds pretty good. But it's very much a secondary source, because it's still not as good as the CD transport I reverted to as the primary source 3 years ago.

But thank you for your sympathy.

duckworp, vinylslug and Del monaco like this.
  15. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Must be the cables!

booja30 likes this.
  16. notevenclose

notevenclose pfm Member

Must be. I tried everything else, including customised stripped down OS, external PSU which cost more than the Mac it was powering, etc.

I can get a decent sound out of a computer, and the Melco was pretty good, but while the current set-up is the best Mac-based replay I've had here, to my ears my CD transport sounds better on a fundamental level.

17. greygoose

greygoose pfm Member

Very interested in your findings, I also have an opus 21 and was considering an innuos zen but no honest feedback from converts regarding direct comparisons to high end CD players
    What was lacking in the zen's presentation , was it detail, musicality, digital glare that is often talked about?
    would love to hear a rega valved isis!!!

18. RichardA

RichardA pfm Member

Will send a separate PM (just in case any clumsy wording on my part sparks howls of protest!!)

19. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

Can vouch for the Rega Isis. Superb piece of kit. :cool:

20. maccar

maccar pfm Member

Plus one for the EMC1UP the most analogue CDP I've heard, preferred it to Wadia, Krell, Esoteric and Sugden
    Ma

Iceman16 likes this.