advertisement

A dozen happisnaps from a day in Bath

One of the oldest pubs isn't far from Bath. The George at Norton St Philip has a recorded history dating back to 1397, and it's a nice pub. I remember drinking there one evening with some mates and the landlord saying if we wanted to continue drinking could we come indoors as it was well after closing time!! that was back in the 1970's. Those were the days.

Been there several times (including on our honeymoon XX years ago!). Lovely pub.

I was talking, as you do, to Don McCullin the other day and The George came up in the conversation. He said it was or had been closed for a while due to H&S issues in the kitchen!

It says on their website that it's just reopened after it had a makeover, I hope it hasn't lost it's old word feeling.

I was talking, as you do, to Don McCullin the other day and The George came up in the conversation. He said it was or had been closed for a while due to H&S issues in the kitchen!

I really like Don McCullin's images he is one of only a handful of photographers I can name! Does he still use a Mamiya Press camera with a bit of gaffa tape?

I really like Don McCullin's images he is one of only a handful of photographers I can name! Does he still use a Mamiya Press camera with a bit of gaffa tape?

He was using it in the last documentary I saw on him, filmed around his home in Somerset, but that was probably made a few years ago now. He has more recently spent time photographing ancient artefacts in North Africa for his most recent (vast) tome, though I don't know what he used on that several week long trip.

He told me that he is wary of going out photographing landscapes alone now, as he fears that he might have a fall and get stuck. He is 80 odd, though looks remarkably fit, and a good decade younger. He said that he has plenty to keep himself occupied in the darkroom.

He was using it in the last documentary I saw on him, filmed around his home in Somerset, but that was probably made a few years ago now. He has more recently spent time photographing ancient artefacts in North Africa for his most recent (vast) tome, though I don't know what he used on that several week long trip.

He told me that he is wary of going out photographing landscapes alone now, as he fears that he might have a fall and get stuck. He is 80 odd, though looks remarkably fit, and a good decade younger. He said that he has plenty to keep himself occupied in the darkroom.

Yes, that was probably the documentary I saw him using it. He came across as such a decent humble man. If he needs a chaperone I would be delighted to accompany him or mix his chemicals. I aim to get back in the darkroom this time next year - fingers crossed.

Duck Son & Pinker rings a bell.
The aged family who owned it shut shop c. a decade ago, when the last active member died at great age. It's much-missed - the classical music section was amazing, and the Pianos for sale started at ... a reassuringly-expensive level. Or perhaps Sir might like a choice of bass Viols..?

The same wonderful building in full was in use as a 'Joules' fashion outlet for most of the time since; it is just-now being refitted into some new comparable use - but the spatial arrangement and the wonderful clerestorey & ceilings all remain : )

advertisement

Back