advertisement

A dilemma of Vinyl + CDs vs streaming into old age.....

It will all end up as land fill, as will we, just enjoy it why you still can and thank your lucky stars.

On reflection there are lots of sensible views here. It is helping me see that perhaps I’m over-worrying.

I’m fortunate that I don’t need to sell for financial reasons. I can just enjoy what I have - and as is mentioned here, my music will be so old hat technology wise that perhaps it will be worthless.

It has been quite therapeutic getting it off my chest and hearing other opinions though!

When I have more time on my hands though (post retirement) I might be interested in getting all the CDs ripped to a storage unit. If anyone can point me to a link of how to do this easily (not the PC option) and keep at least CD quality that could still be of interest. I have enough CDs not to need to rent music. I assume some of the technology options make it simple to search for albums and tracks - even easier than thumbing through the current CD collection?

I’ll go back to playing some vinyl tomorrow

There are products available which make ripping, storing, cataloguing and playing back CDs very easy indeed.

... If anyone can point me to a link of how to do this easily (not the PC option) and keep at least CD quality that could still be of interest...

There are many options but here are 4 that you can find via an internet search to get you started:
Innuos Zenith
Melco N1a
Antipodes EX
Audiostore Prestige

It doesn’t bother me, I’ll be dead.
For me its vinyl always will be. To hold the cover to be able to read notes and lyrics to put a physical format on to play. I had an expensive Linn streaming system which proved very frustrating. It could take all day for the Naz and all the bits to reconnect to each other. After three years I sold it now my music is hassle free and plays when I want to hear it.

I only stream now. One day I'll get a pair of actives where all I do is hook up the streaming source. Or that'll be built-in as well (is at already somewhere?).

I don't it this way for anything other than faff-free music. But in the OP's position, I wouldn't be worrying about what happens to it all after my death. tell them to raffle it on here! That'd make someone happy or profit goes to like minded enthusiast.

I like vinyl. I have a lot of very treasurable classical vinyl. I play it from time to time and enjoy it but it doesn’t displace my cd playing or streaming. I value all three equally and will probably move between these genres for some time yet. I even still use a vintage fm tuner as I like it for Radio 3 broadcasts. Unlike some earlier posters I do think streaming has come of age and easily equals cd performance but I still value the others as players for my varied collection. I’m am not worried.I just enjoy the choice.

Only you will know the state of your health and how long you might live. Parent longevity can be a guide but if you really are a brickie, the building trade is not a good example of healthy living!

I'm retired but have no family so what's left when I depart is not a real concern to me but I have considered what might happen to my expensive equipment. I've left a contact (a dealer) in my will to help the estate managers to get the best deal for them. Of course you could just point out their rough value and the sort of place they should look to sell them.

At some point in your retirement you may have to downsize or go into a retirement home. To me therefore it does make sense to rip your music to a hard drive. It's a nice little job to do yourself when you have the time and there are some advantages too. If you do it right there should be no quality issues - vinyl too can be ripped well and pops and clicks removed. The pluses are the flexibility in playback - I sometimes play using random songs from my whole library bringing up long forgotten tunes.

But, as others have said, the main thing is that you continue enjoy the music. You might even improve the sound by investigating better ways of setting up your gear - room treatment etc..

and of course , don`t forget to leave enough to pay those nursing home bills which can be around 52k or more a year !!

I bought a Zen Mk1 for £250 from Ebay earlier on this year and it's a doddle to use, pop a cd into the Zen and four minutes later it has been ripped to the hard drive on the Zen and you can then listen to it by streaming it from the Zen to my amp, I use my iphone (or my laptop) to select music via an Ipeng app (£10) or a Logitech Media Server webpage on my laptop.

You can also play CDs from the Zen if you hook it up to a dac>amp.

I also bought a Yamaha R-N803D stereo receiver which streams music or plays FM/DAB radio or internet radio, turntable & TV, the yamaha amp has Musiccast built in which allows you to stream around the house to speakers etc or you can stream to it via the iPhone etc, very simple and decent sounds, there's also a Musiccast app for iPhone which I use to control the amp and play whatever I like from it including vinyl although I have to put a record on the TT for that:D plus you can stream vinyl from the Yamaha to a music cast speaker or another Musiccast amp.

Hard to believe that inside this little box (Zen) there are over 500 CDs stored which is only about 10% of the total volume of the hard drive in the Zen but funnily enough I have the zen set up in another room away from the hifi and all of the CDs are stored in about four 20 litre plastic boxes in the same room.

As soon as the transfer of files from my loan Zenith II to the permanent Zenith III is complete(hopefully being delivered this week), my cds are being boxed up and are going in the loft.

We've had a few threads like this, and TBH I don't see what all the fuss is about. Life's too short to fart about like that; just enjoy the system and the music as it is (unless you're short of cash), cos that's what I'm going to do!

This!

You will never get the sound from streaming that you can get from your turntable and CD player if it is a good one. My advice would be to enjoy what you have. Also, with equipment made today, sound quality is a long way down the company agenda and very few companies seem to know what real music sounds like...

I bought a Zen Mk1 for £250 from Ebay earlier on this year and it's a doddle to use, pop a cd into the Zen and four minutes later it has been ripped to the hard drive on the Zen and you can then listen to it by streaming it from the Zen to my amp, I use my iphone (or my laptop) to select music via an Ipeng app (£10) or a Logitech Media Server webpage on my laptop.

You can also play CDs from the Zen if you hook it up to a dac>amp.

I also bought a Yamaha R-N803D stereo receiver which streams music or plays FM/DAB radio or internet radio, turntable & TV, the yamaha amp has Musiccast built in which allows you to stream around the house to speakers etc or you can stream to it via the iPhone etc, very simple and decent sounds, there's also a Musiccast app for iPhone which I use to control the amp and play whatever I like from it including vinyl although I have to put a record on the TT for that:D plus you can stream vinyl from the Yamaha to a music cast speaker or another Musiccast amp.

Hard to believe that inside this little box (Zen) there are over 500 CDs stored which is only about 10% of the total volume of the hard drive in the Zen but funnily enough I have the zen set up in another room away from the hifi and all of the CDs are stored in about four 20 litre plastic boxes in the same room.

whats the full name and make of the Zen for an ebay search?

My experience with computer audio and IMO its weakest link is not necessarily the actual hardware, but the WiFi connection between the controlling device (iPhone/iPad/smartphone etc) and the router and the streamer/music server...

Yes some beautiful care homes near you , i can see why they would cost so much . We have had considerable experience with these matters in recent months with various folks and even now am looking for a home for a normandy veteran !!

Reactions: GT

advertisement

Back