advertisement

a/d/s (Braun) CD3 - removing belt goo

kasperhauser

pfm Member
Picked up one of these nifty vintage cd spinners. Needs a new belt to open and close the pod bay door. Old belt has literally liquified and is resisting the only two solvents that fall readily to hand (91% isopropanol and 95% ethanol).

Any suggestions? Thankfully I only need to clean the small brass pulley on the motor; the large white plastic wheel it drives is clean. As it is I’m making things worse, because the cotton from the earbuds is just sticking to the now slightly softened black gunk.

Oh, good call, thanks. That definitely made a dent in it. Followed that up with some acetone and now I’m down to bare metal.

This thing works, even after 35 years! Opened the tray manually, inserted a cd, and it played, at least via the headphone jack. All functions, lights, display, everything. New belt on its way from Germany. Should take seconds to install.

This is definitely the most overbuilt CD player I’ve ever had. And maybe my first piece of Dieter Rams design (still trying to figure out if these components were his design or not).

advertisement

Back