advertisement

A couple of tips to tweak the mighty PM94

Do you own one of these amps? I've seen one or two of these for sale and its younger brother the PM84, and would be interested in an owner's review.

Thanks

(another) Mike

Hi Mike

I do own one of these beasts but for domestic reasons I am not able to use it very much. My main amplification is Naim but the PM94 makes a very good substitute and I could pretty much imagine living with it alone. Googling shows it to be very highly regarded and IME it has a particularly good midrange; it takes a while to warm up but when it does it can sound sublime.

It has a reputation for running hot but when I had mine restored / repaired the fixer managed to calm this down somehow and it runs warm. There can be thermal stresses with the temperature range which has been known to cause solder to fail.

There has been some real audiophile thinking behind this amp; dipped copper chassis; tone bypass; ran in pure class A up to 25% power then switched to class B ( hence "Quarter A" )

I've looked up some links which you'll see below.

Where are you and what sort of price are they looking for?

HiFi World

Audio Review

Quarter A

Hey, thanks for the links Mike. I'll check 'em out when I get a spare 10 minutes.

Having used Naim (class B) and Musical Fidelity (class A), the idea of combining the best of both worlds appeals.

I 've seen a PM-94 and a PM-84 on eBay in the last few months but wasn't really paying attention, so didn't get to see what they went for. I'm in the UK, (Sussex) by the way.

I've got a ProJect headphone amp if you want to swap for a more domestically acceptable amp....

Cheers

Mike

I've just borrowed a Marantz 2235B which, my mate assures me, also does the class A/B act. I have no way of verifying this but I do know it sounds pretty good!

Marantz certainly seemed to build some good amps. Not sure now whether to make an offer on the 2253B or go for a PM amp.

Mike

advertisement

Back